Bass pickups in 7 string and 7 string single coil demo - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Bass pickups in 7 string and 7 string single coil demo

Hi, i have a 7 string all mahogany neck through Carvin guitar, and i don't really like the PU's on it.

On the other hand, Carvin pickups are a bit narrower than say "normal" pickups, so i can't fit a direct replacement pickup without cutting the guitar.

I don't want to cut the guitar, so i came up with 2 options:

1. Use a J style bass pickup, like Ultra Jazz from Dimarzio or Hot Stack Jazz from Duncan.

But how will they sound? the output is 200-250 mv and 12-14 dc resistance

2. Use a single coil 7 string ( Blaze or Evolution exist in single coil 7 as far as i know ) again, how will it sound?

Here i want to ask any of you if u have one installed ( single coil 7 string pickup ) and could make a mini demo (clean&distortion) mp3 format no more than 1.5 mb big and send it to [email protected]

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 08:32 PM

I think the bass pickup in a 7 string idea is very interesting....IMO I don't think it would sound good, maybe OK in the neck position but that's even pushing it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

I did this little experiment:

I have a Yamaha BBG5S 5 string bass with active pickups.

I plugged it in, put in on the couch and then struck a string or more strings on the Carvin and put it against the Yamaha like the two intruments were having sex missionary position.

I was very surprised to hear a very clear full sound.

I was expecting it to sound good, but not that good ( both clean and disorted ), so as long as a pickup is a pickup it will amplify and it's got extra frequency range because it's a bass pickup.

It could've sounded that good because there are active pickups in my Yamaha bass; but the Carvin also has the active system ( that is an active/passive sistem that carvin uses in their guitar and works with any passive pickup ) and that might compensate if the passive J style's should have too weak output.

Has any1 tryed this?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 02:04 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking about last night- an active EMG Jazz Bass set on my RG7620 (routed for 707's). I think they would still be relatively low-output pickups for a guitar, but they may sound great. Honestly if I had the money I might check it out, but I'm sure it's been done. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for a response to this one....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Theoretically it should work just fine, it would even have a wider frequency range, if there will be any problems they will probably be in the higher registers. I'd like to try it too, but i live in Romania and there are no dealers here and everything costs more than it should especially equipment wise, the easiest way to get a pick-up is to ask some1 to bring one from Germany and that too will be like 100 euros.

But since you're in the USA u might find one on Ebay i saw an old Dimarzio J pikcup for 7 dollars last night

Tags
neck position , output pickup , string bass , string pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode