BEFORE you post about selecting pick-ups!!! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
BEFORE you post about selecting pick-ups!!!

Hi Everyone. I'm posting this to help simplify the MANY pickup selection requests here on Jemsite.

As we all know, choosing the right pickup can be a confusing and difficult thing to do. And with manufacturers expanding their lines all the time, the process gets even harder...lol. With that said, I'm going to ask you to think about the next few questions so that you can be better prepared to post your question about buying new pups.

Most Important!!!!
1. What type of music do you like? Be specific about bands or particular guitarists.
2. What type of equipment are you going to be playing through? A 10 watt "Rouge" amplifier is never going to sound better, no matter what pickups you put in your guitar......sorry
3. What are the specifics of your guitar? I find myself having to browse the web all the time to find out the specs of peoples guitars...
A. Is it a trem or hardtail?
B. maple or rosewood board?
C. how many frets?
D. what controls are on it?
E. What type of wood is you body made from?
F. Are your pickups direct mounted, ring mounted or in a pickguard?
THESE THINGS DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!

Other important factors
1. Why are you changing your pickups? So many times I see people wanting to change their pickups because they think they HAVE to based on other peoples advice. What is it that YOU don't like about your current pups? What would you like to be different in a set of new ones?

2. Are you looking for any particular brand, and if so...Why? Do you have previous experience with that brand, or maybe a bad experience with another brand? Are you going on someone's advice or on your own research??

3. Often times people think they need new pups because their guitar is making funny noises, or sounding weak....... sometimes there's nothing wrong with their pups. Sometimes it's other electrical problems like a loose jack, a dirty pot or switch, a loose or broken solder joint...... etc. If you DO have a problem like this.....DESCRIBE IT IN DETAIL. Guitar electronics are actually very easy to fix yourself.

I know that this sounds crass, but it's not meant to. Jemsite provides an excellent search function for you to start your own research. We don't suggest it because we "don't want to be bothered by you silly question" rather, we suggest it because it an EXCELLENT tool for you to start researching. Second- Jemsite also has the "Comparison Shopping" link (the top right tab on every page) Comparison shopping is a huge collection of hundreds (if not a thousand) of product reviews done by MANY Jemsite members over the years...... It's very easy to navigate and is jam packed with most, if not all, of the information your looking for.

After doing your research, come and make your post........ Were happy to help in every way possible. Don't be shy to ask any questions you may have....... we all do!! Myself.... I knew very little about my guitars in general before becoming a Jemsite member (some will argue that I still don't....lol), and I still ask a LOT of questions!!!

Happy Modding!!!
Ryc

Last edited by RGTFanatic; 03-24-2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 07:42 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: BEFORE you post about selecting pick-ups!!!

Mods. Please. Sticky. Now.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 07:55 PM

Reviews: 4

Wow great post! Thanks for taking your time to write all this RGT.This should be stickied.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys...... I appreciate it. I don't think the world is ready to see a sticky from me though...... lol
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 09:43 PM

Great post RGT!!!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 04:03 AM

Thanks a lot for the tips RGT!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 09:04 PM

Reviews: 11

oh, dont forget to add hollow body or solid.

this thread needs to be sticky, its REALLY helpful
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Awesome! Yes. this needs to be stickied, but let's see if anyone reads it before asking, "What pickups for an RG-550?" Thanks for posting this Ryc!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Indeed.

I've stickied this with a view that folks might read it. Good work Ryc.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:14 AM

Here's another suggestion: go to the pickup manufacturer's website and listen to sound clips. DiMarzio for instance will tell you who the clip is and what guitar they're using. If you do a little digging on the artist, you can usually find what amp they're using as well.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Indeed.

I've stickied this with a view that folks might read it. Good work Ryc.
Thanks Jono..... I appreciate it.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 11:00 PM

Reviews: 4

Excellent post!! Hopefully those that neglect to search won't overlook the sticky , oh well, there always be somebody lol
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 06:00 AM

Reviews: 6

Thanks for helping us!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 03:28 PM

Hi Rockin bros xD .. i found this diagram at seymour duncans website, and its close to what i want.
But i want 2 tones instead of a master one.
And Is it possible to swap one of those positions for a Neck Full + bridge full ??
Please show me what i need to add to this setup!
Hoping to get a fast reply
Cheers Guys !!
Keep Rockinn'!!!!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 06:26 AM

lol Rg just helped me out with my guitar so thumbs up nice post btw... i leave the wiring to experts.
If Satriani did his own wiring he'd make fabulus guitar and crappy music

Tags
pick ups , pups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode