Best 7 string set for emg81-7/85-7 p/u config - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Best 7 string set for emg81-7/85-7 p/u config

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ive been readin everywhere man. a lot say the following
GHS
DM Blue Steel
DR
Elixir
Ernie Ball
(also saw dunlop and d'arrios mentioned)

w/standard tuning, 10-59 guage or 11-6#, on a 25.5" scale necck, what pickups resonate best with the emg power pu combo? which oscilate well to the active preamp and are most compatible materially? specifically this is for a damien elite 7 fr......

plz include WHICH STYLE/MODEL of the brand (metal type and winding)

thanks a lot guys
WYLD STALLYNS is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:37 AM

Re: Best 7 string set for emg81-7/85-7 p/u config

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYLD STALLYNS View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ive been readin everywhere man. a lot say the following
GHS
DM Blue Steel
DR
Elixir
Ernie Ball
(also saw dunlop and d'arrios mentioned)

w/standard tuning, 10-59 guage or 11-6#, on a 25.5" scale necck, what pickups resonate best with the emg power pu combo? which oscilate well to the active preamp and are most compatible materially? specifically this is for a damien elite 7 fr......

plz include WHICH STYLE/MODEL of the brand (metal type and winding)

thanks a lot guys
This is an extremely, extremely minimal part of your sound. My advice is to try a lot of brands and just flat out find the answer for yourself.

I will say this much however -

1 - Standard strings are perfectly fine for 90% of everything.
2 - Elixer Strings aren't bull****, they last a hell of a long time and they just will not rust even slightly. You'll wear the coating off the strings with your pick long before you get a problem with rust or gunk in the windings.
3 - All strings, with very few exceptions, are built from the same metals.
4 - I've been reliably informed that there are actually far fewer factories producing strings, than there are companies producing strings.

Its not worth wasting the time looking around for some kind of super string based on reviews or opinions. The only way you're going to make a decision here is by biting the bullet and buying some strings.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

well, u caught me, a hate restringing lol

but on another note, i saw a youtube video comparing the pu/string compat. and it was very interesting to see the difference...it made me wonder if i could do better than the d'darrio 10-59's im usin, like a physical technical difference in hardware, and what u said about elixir sounds like an important reason to go with that (less restringing/no rust lol)

thank you
WYLD STALLYNS is online  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 12:44 PM

New strings make more difference than different strings.

Seriously, let it go. You aren't Eric Johnson, fussing over this instead of just changing your damned amp settings is like taking up pen spinning to get out of doing your homework - Its only going to hurt you in the long run when you figure out there were more important things to be dealing with, and its nothing you can't just explore on the side when you have nothing better to do.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

woah! idk where all this less than supportively positive replies are comin from, but im not lookin for strings to make me eric johnson, i dont wanna even be like eric johnson neway, im talkin about gettin best performance with comptability, kinda llike tires on a car, some are durable and all season and last, others need to be changed very soon and can be problematic even.....its not my tone/sound, its how my tone/sound is being turned from my organic materials into electric frequencies.....the right metal and a certain wound might make a difference in the translation...

ok? im not a diva sayin my strings are like so important, and my picks are just as important, and i need monster cables with dimarzio strap loks, i will admit, EMGs are a "signature" ive aquired, but id just as easily play the new petrucci liquifire/crunchlab or the best classical metal pu config perhaps, the paf pro/tone zone of course, and there are seymour duncans i love too....now, trems, floyds rule and are only outclassed by the 1 and only transtrem but the steinberger is a whole different thing altogether, then body/wood/construction etc...blah blah

all i care is that i got a nice playable guitar with emg 81/85 and a floyd, my amp system is all i could want for, and i dont care about lil details at all generally speaking

whats going on atm is that i NEED new strings for the first time on a 7 string and after seeing this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv1DVJXrCAg i just wanted someone who knows more than i do to suggest what would work best in tandem, i dont expect the strings to make my sound better, i just want the strings to sound as best as they can specifically for what i got

not bein lazy, not bein a jerk, not askin anything nuts...but if u got pro tools, u get digidesign racks (well u used to) cuz they work together, just lookin for somethin that would work optimally.....thats all so thanks for any help in that dept

heres one of my older sounds with not so good gear as i work with now on a steinberger gl2t-gr (emg 81 pair tho)... clip.mp3 - 412 KB

THANK U FOR HELP ADVICE FEEDBACK AND INPUT, and remember, hey were all friends hee
WYLD STALLYNS is online  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 PM

Reviews: 11

GHS makes a 7 string set of boomers (model name GB7M) that is .10-.60. That's probably as close as you're going to get.

And don't base your opinion off of that guy's video. He's not stating facts, he's just giving HIS opinion. AND he's not even running a good test! different guitars AND different tunings. I'm with GuitarBizarre that you should just start trying strings. Strings aren't expensive. Just buy a few sets from a few different companies and test them.

Last edited by D.M.RG7620; 01-22-2012 at 07:52 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:14 PM

I quite like D'addarios, but I tend to go for whatever I can get for the least money. Lately this has been Rotosounds / staggs
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeSocietySucks View Post
I quite like D'addarios, but I tend to go for whatever I can get for the least money. Lately this has been Rotosounds / staggs
D'Addario's are what I use. They last a while and stay bright and clean for a while. And they make them thick enough for what I use

But when I recommended them to the OP, he was uninterested.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

actually what i have right now are d'addario 10-59, which is why after that video, i thought id ask what else might be a better match, but thanks
WYLD STALLYNS is online  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 09:41 PM

Not insulting, my friend . Only stating a fact. I simply said you were uninterested, which is true.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

nah man, dont misunderstand, its not that im uninterested, i am interested. i just already worked with it and wanted to see if someone knew something i didnt or somethin better. i appreciate your input tho. i truly do. thank you for taking the time to respond.
WYLD STALLYNS is online  

Tags
7 string set , emg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode