Best blend of Vai, Satch, and Petrucci? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Best blend of Vai, Satch, and Petrucci?

Hi everyone, I'm wondering what pickups provide the best tonal blend of Vai's, Satriani's, and Petrucci's pickups? I don't plan on buying any at the moment but I may in the future for my '90 USA custom (Basswood w/ maple neck, 24 frets, orig. edge, standard RG/Jem wiring, cts pots) if I decide to change out the F2, C3, and F4. I haven't reeeally gotten a chance to test them out so I might just keep them anyway. I play mostly instrumental rock (Vai, Satch, and Petrucci/DT), and have a few distortion pedals (DS-1 and Jemini mainly), a DigiTech RP500, running in stereo to a line 6 spyder and little fender starter amp (not that great, i know lol)

So which pickups will give me the best mix of the 3 virtuosos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 07:35 PM

Re: Best blend of Vai, Satch, and Petrucci?

I personally really like the DiMarzio Breeds for their versatility. I usually use pedals, but have a RP-300 I will use for more extreme effects. I will say with all the options in your Digitech pedal, you should be able to get a huge array of sounds from just one set of pickups, that said, I'd go for pickups that give you a great starting tone and then add to that with effects. Steve and Joe both used to use PAF pro's (Paul Gilbert too), maybe that's something to try. I'm sure you know, but all of the guitarists you mentioned have signature DiMarzios (Steve has Dimarzio Evo's and Breed's and the new Gravity Storms; Joe has Mo' Joes and a few others with Joe in the name, and John Petrucci has the Liquifire and Crunchlab). I have a guitar with Evo's and one with Breed's in it so they're the only ones I can offer an opinion on. http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/high-power
Here are DiMarzio's official specs.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxopwn View Post
I personally really like the DiMarzio Breeds for their versatility. I usually use pedals, but have a RP-300 I will use for more extreme effects. I will say with all the options in your Digitech pedal, you should be able to get a huge array of sounds from just one set of pickups, that said, I'd go for pickups that give you a great starting tone and then add to that with effects. Steve and Joe both used to use PAF pro's (Paul Gilbert too), maybe that's something to try. I'm sure you know, but all of the guitarists you mentioned have signature DiMarzios (Steve has Dimarzio Evo's and Breed's and the new Gravity Storms; Joe has Mo' Joes and a few others with Joe in the name, and John Petrucci has the Liquifire and Crunchlab). I have a guitar with Evo's and one with Breed's in it so they're the only ones I can offer an opinion on. http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/high-power
Here are DiMarzio's official specs.

I also have an '87 RG550 with Evo's in it and while I love the pickups and they're incredibly versatile, there are some times when, no matter what tone im getting through my pedals, they just don't get the tone I'm really looking for (satch's sweet, classic bluesy distortion tone, or petrucci's pups that get a smooth crunch and have rounded highs but still have bite). And I definatly want the screaming harmonics that Vai and Satch are famous for. And yeah, if I do get any, they'll probably be DiMarzio's.

Last edited by kfm946; 08-02-2012 at 10:08 PM.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 05:34 AM

Reviews: 6

Hi,
My 2 cents:
I do have a Paf Joe in the neck and a EVO2 in a '95 RG550 and the tone is great. I also play mostly instrumental rock from Floyd to DT through Satch, etc.
I'm very happy with that!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:01 AM

Food for thought - it's going to be very hard to find a pickup set that approximates both Vai AND Satch AND Petrucci's pickups. In particular, they all use very different bridge pickups - Satch's sound is very thick, throaty, and midrange heavy, Vai's is all about upper-midrange scream, and Petrucci's is very detailed and crisp. n top of that, they get their tones from very different amps too, so even their signature pickups through the same amp will sound very different from their sounds.

A better question to ask yourself is, what do you LIKE about their sounds? What sort of sounds are you trying to achieve yourself? If your goal is to duplicate the "For the Love of God" lead sound perfectly and nail the "Summer Song" lead sound as well, you might want to consider separate guitars and rigs, but IMO that's kind of a waste of time.

So, what is it about each of their neck pickup sounds that you like? What is it about each of their bridge pickup sounds that you like?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 11:11 AM

I am of the opinion that you should get 3 guitars and have a set from each placed on them Way more fun that way

That said, I think you might be mixing things up a bit. Do you want to sound like them, or do you want versatility from your guitar? I ask, because sounding like them will take more than just the pickups. A big part from their sound is definitely the amps. John runs very high gain through his Mark V that has a very nice low end for that chunky sound. Joe is pure Marshall sound, especially now that he has a sig amp from them, and it's very focused on mid-range. And then Vai uses the Carvin Legacy which is a very different beast from the other two.

I think Drew has the better idea here...what do you expect from your pickups? A good idea might be to use the pickup selector on Dimarzio.com and reading the description for each pickup to see what they give you. Asking dirmazio directly might be a good idea as well. When I bought my S series, I wanted to know how a few pickups would sound, and they answered all my questions.

So as I said, short of getting 3 guitars, you'll be hard pressed to find something that fits all sizes.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Yeah i see what you guys mean that it's gonna be hard to find one that fits all three sounds. I don't aim to be able to duplicate all of their tones with one guitar, but I'm trying to find something that doesn't go to far in one direction.

In the bridge position, I'm looking for pickup that screams but has slightly rounded highs so it's smoother and not as sharp as the Evo, but still has presence that cuts through the mix and has a lot of harmonics like the Evo, and calms down and when the volume and tone are rolled off.

In the neck, I'm looking for something that is warm and fat, but not muddy or too heavy on the low end. It should have clear, sparkling clean tones, and pronounce chords well, with or without distortion.

I looked around DiMarzio's website and the D Sonic, Super Distortion, and Breed stood out to me. I'll shoot them an email though and see what they think.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by kfm946; 08-03-2012 at 05:36 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 05:28 PM

The D Sonic is what Petrucci used to have before doing the Crunchlab, so you might want to think about that one as well. The Crunchlab is definitely more refined anyway.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 11:31 PM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-sfm View Post
The D Sonic is what Petrucci used to have before doing the Crunchlab, so you might want to think about that one as well. The Crunchlab is definitely more refined anyway.
Or maybe even the Steve's Special that he used in the JPM series.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 12:25 PM

tone zone
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 08:26 AM

DiMarzio Paf Pro in bridge and neck covers alot of ground.

Rock on!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

well i got an email back from dimarzio and they said i could try an Evo 2 bridge and LiquiFire neck. Does the evo 2 still have a similar sound to the Evo 1?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 02:06 AM

Reviews: 6

EVO2 is what I have in Bridge on my RG550. Awesome sound, more bass than EVO, less agressive I would say. The description of the DiMarzio website is correct

Tags
evo , mix , petrucci , satriani , vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode