Best combo - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Best combo

Hello I'm looking for the perfect pick up to go with the chopper I bought and im looking for a heavy metal pickup that would match it. btw it's gonna be wired to an ibanez rg3xxv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 07:46 PM

Re: Best combo

Please read the first post of this thread before asking for pickup recommendations:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/be...ps-109555.html
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Please read the first post of this thread before asking for pickup recommendations:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/be...ps-109555.html
On the list of important things, the first is definitely important but the other factors, while factors, don't deserve to be mentioned on the same list. For simplicity and accuracy, it's really better to go with the manufacturer's simple descriptions than worry about smaller factors acting like bigger ones.

For instance, if XXX company says that a certain pickup is hot and good for metal, it's usually the major factor instead of fretboard wood, body wood, or if the pickup is mounted on a pickguard or directly to body. It's a whole lot of fun to speculate about all the other, smaller factors, but you will tend to get two types of pickups, those that are wound in and around the standard vintage specs of a single coil, P90, or humbucker and those that are wound "hotter". Among the hotter ones, then it becomes how hot you want it?

Don't confuse the main issue of pickup replacement with the small stuff! The small stuff can be issues in fine tuning your sound but get the basic pickup first and chances are you will be very happy. I want a vintage PAF in the neck of my main guitar but it won't make the huge world of difference if I get a Gibson Classic '57, Duncan '59, or DiMarzio 36th. I should be able to dial in a sound and work with guitar, fingers, and amp and get a nice vintage humbucking neck tone. If I can't then there's probably something wrong with me and not my pickup choice.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
On the list of important things, the first is definitely important but the other factors, while factors, don't deserve to be mentioned on the same list. For simplicity and accuracy, it's really better to go with the manufacturer's simple descriptions than worry about smaller factors acting like bigger ones.

For instance, if XXX company says that a certain pickup is hot and good for metal, it's usually the major factor instead of fretboard wood, body wood, or if the pickup is mounted on a pickguard or directly to body. It's a whole lot of fun to speculate about all the other, smaller factors, but you will tend to get two types of pickups, those that are wound in and around the standard vintage specs of a single coil, P90, or humbucker and those that are wound "hotter". Among the hotter ones, then it becomes how hot you want it?

Don't confuse the main issue of pickup replacement with the small stuff! The small stuff can be issues in fine tuning your sound but get the basic pickup first and chances are you will be very happy. I want a vintage PAF in the neck of my main guitar but it won't make the huge world of difference if I get a Gibson Classic '57, Duncan '59, or DiMarzio 36th. I should be able to dial in a sound and work with guitar, fingers, and amp and get a nice vintage humbucking neck tone. If I can't then there's probably something wrong with me and not my pickup choice.

Pickups are pretty much the same as spaghetti sauce. (Hows that for a Vai-ism )

As long as you've got some meat and some tomatos you're good. But the really good sauces will have herbs, spices, garlic, onions, a splash of red wine and so on in different amounts.

The list was put together to take into account factors that can add up and that some folks don't realise influences the tone you end up hearing.

anyone wanting to change pickups needs to know what they hear now and what they want to hear afterwards. Those factors are all intended to help people give the right recommendations.

That said, the "treble middle bass" readings on pickup manufacturer websites are all very useful. BUT, my vote is always if you want to sound like PlayerX use the same pickup as PlayerX... in my experience it's the easiest "quick fix" to make.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

And to the OP, how many threads on this subject do you need?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Going from DiMarzio's website the chopper has a ceramic magnet, a 260 mV output and a slight bias towards a "trebley" tone.

Any of their "high output" humbuckers would work, I'd suggest you look at th3 "tone chart" for the various pickups and see how they reflect the sort of sound you're looking for, scooped like the Steve's Special or witha big midrange peak like the Gravity Storm bridge pickup.

If you're not sure "what" you're looking for, from that sort of exercise, in truth I'd suggest you're not ready to change your pickups just yet.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Going from DiMarzio's website the chopper has a ceramic magnet, a 260 mV output and a slight bias towards a "trebley" tone.

Any of their "high output" humbuckers would work, I'd suggest you look at th3 "tone chart" for the various pickups and see how they reflect the sort of sound you're looking for, scooped like the Steve's Special or witha big midrange peak like the Gravity Storm bridge pickup.

If you're not sure "what" you're looking for, from that sort of exercise, in truth I'd suggest you're not ready to change your pickups just yet.
Excellent advice.

I really like DiMarzio's website and I wish other pup makers would have sites as good and easy to follow. High power, medium power, vintage output pretty much sums up anything. Vintage output can be interchanged with low output for simplicity.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post

Thank you for bringing this up. I actually have a question about the Dimarzio site.

For example, you mention the GS bridge has a "big midrange peak." How does that effect your EQ settings when setting up your amp settings/Effects pedals? Does it mean I should lay off the mids (and balance it out with slughtly higher bass/treble) as the pickup inherently has high mids?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 08:53 PM

Reviews: 120

All it means is that the pickup has a lot of mids. What you do on your amp is up to you and what your ears like.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
All it means is that the pickup has a lot of mids. What you do on your amp is up to you and what your ears like.
That's what I thought. Figured it was that the pup itself has a lot of mids.

That makes sense now as to why the neck GS is a more balanced pup for leads and the bridge is more for rhythm (or at least that's how I interpreted it )

Tags
#dimarzio , #ibanez , #rg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode