Best Duncans for Dark and heavy. - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Best Duncans for Dark and heavy.

Hey guys! Look, it's another thread where you can post a picture of a turned-off light bulb!!

Anyway, I need a PASSIVE Seymour Duncan pickup (6 or 7 string. I play both) that can get really dark and brutal. As most of you know, I'm a Death Metal player! And most of my guitars (6 and 7 string) are usually tuned anywhere between Drop C# and Drop G# (I'm typically in A# or A. They're my two favorites) so I need it to have lots of clarity with JUST enough output to get really heavy while still being articulate (so the Invader is probably out).

I'd like to keep this to just Duncans. I can't afford BKP's or Lungrens and I've probably played more DiMarzio pickups than Vai himself. But I have almost no experience with Duncans.

My guitars usually have either Basswood, Alder or Mahogany bodies with maple necks and either rosewood or Ebony fretboards. I don't plan on having much maple.

So if it's not too much trouble, I'd love to know of a few good pickups for Mahogany, a few good ones for Alder and a few good ones for Basswood.

My tone is (obviously) a high gain tone. Lots of mids, a good amount of bass and not a ton of treble.

Thanks dudes! sorry for another stupid question!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Re: Best Duncans for Dark and heavy.

Oh, and some 7 string suggestions would be awesome as well!

I mainly use Basswood and Mahogany for my 7's, if that helps.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 04:07 AM

PATB2B.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 09:12 PM

^^ Yep.

Apart from the Invader, there's not much else as far as dark and hot is concerned in the passive SD line-up. Alternatively, you could get an Invader and remove the spacer magnets, which should tame it a bit.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

I've never heard of it before. Any personal experience in a low tuning?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 12:42 AM

Are you asking about PATB2B or the invader?
If you are asking for the PATB2B, here you are :
I'm sure you are familiar with Dimarzio SUPER 3, rite?
Imagine a super 3 with about the same level of output, but slightly warmer and less bright.
That's is the PATB2B.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Really? That sounds nice. I REALLY like the Super 3!

And no Invader for me. I'm trying to keep the output at a medium-high for better clarity. I can always raise the pickup a bit higher if I want more output. But I'd rather have them raised high than sunk low.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:43 PM

I'd recommend the PATB2B as well. A really underrated series of pickups. I have a PATB1 and even though it's out of the guitar right now while I review something else, it's going back in pretty soon.

Tags
brutal , dark , heavy , metal , seymour duncan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode