Best metal pickups for a RG2550z? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Smile Best metal pickups for a RG2550z?

Hi everyone!
Ok so here's the thing: I recently bought an Ibanez Prestige RG2550z in mint condition for a ridiculously good price. The guitar itself is perfect, I really like the playability of the neck, the edge zero tremolo also looks pretty good.
Unfortunately there's an expected flaw on the guitar; the pickups... the thing that I don't like with these pickups is the fact that they have no personality, at least for my taste. there's not enough distortion, the lower frets sounds too bassy and the higher frets just... you know... not my taste anyway.
These are Dimarzio/ibz. I was wondering which pickups I should swap into it instead of these? My sound goal is something between As I Lay Dying, A7X, Steve Vai. I also have a Schecter Synyster Custom that has the Duncan Invader which I has one of the best guitar sound I ever heard. I was thinking on getting some Dimarzio for the Ibanez tho. Any suggestions? Note that it's a basswood guitar with rosewood fretboard, maple neck, 24 frets, edge zero tremolo. I play with 8/38 string gauge by the way.
Thanks for replying!

Last edited by jcpwn; 11-10-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 02:06 AM

Re: Best metal pickups for a RG2550z

SD Invader, SD Distortion, and from Dimarzio maybe X2n. Steve Vai used to use X2n in old days.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 02:42 AM
Banned

Re: Best metal pickups for a RG2550z?

Dimarzio has by far the best customer support I found among the big 3 pup companies. I'd stick with dimarzio : http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/high-power

IMHO going above ~400 mv in the bridge and ~300 mv in the neck would kill your cleans. The Evolution set might to the trick for you.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 04:42 PM

Reviews: 120

The best metal pickups from DiMarzio in my opinion are the Dominions. They are razor sharp, super tight lows and perfect blend of mids and treble and not so high output that they can't clean up.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 05:11 PM

Smile Re: Best metal pickups for a RG2550z?

contact Steve Blutcher at Dimarzio, he will do something or suggest some pickup for you!
he's also fast on reply to email.

Pascal
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for replying so fast! Just watched videos about the X2N and Dominions and they really sound good! May go with one of them. Also already played with jems and didn't like the evolutions that much, not metal enough for my taste I guess. Also looked up the D activator, sounds really nice too. Any of you have one of these? also looking for a good middle single coil even if I don't play with it anyway hahah suggestions are welcome! thanks!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 08:52 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpwn View Post
Hey guys thanks for replying so fast! Just watched videos about the X2N and Dominions and they really sound good! May go with one of them. Also already played with jems and didn't like the evolutions that much, not metal enough for my taste I guess. Also looked up the D activator, sounds really nice too. Any of you have one of these? also looking for a good middle single coil even if I don't play with it anyway hahah suggestions are welcome! thanks!
D-Activator is a nice pickup too, but I found the Dominion pairing so much more interesting.

Don't waste your money on a single coil if you don't use it. The stock one is plenty servicable anyway.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
The Evolutions not metal enough? Nita Strauss (ex-iron maidens, Alice Cooper) uses the Evo neck with D activators. I personally think the Evos are great pickups for metal, but I prefer clean metal like Stratovarius (even then, Timo Tolkki had EMGs in his ESP and Matias has some german hand-made pickups in his Ruokangas signature model).

Herman Li's signature model pickups also uses his own pickups based on the Evos, and sam totman also uses Evos. I think maybe you need to play with them more, they are GREAT pickups for anything.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Nita Strauss (ex-iron maidens, Alice Cooper) uses the Evo neck with D activators.
Do you know the exact RGT model and pickups that she used when she played for Jason Becker? I kind of enjoyed that tone.

Quote:
I was thinking on getting some Dimarzio for the Ibanez tho. Any suggestions?
How about Super 3 or Super Distortion in the bridge position / Super 2 in the neck?

You could also try Seymour Duncan Black Winters or Black Winter in the bridge / Sentient in the neck position.

Here's a nice sample of the D Activators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsgBfodquJg
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

he guys thanks for all your suggestions! I know that Evo's are really great pickups don't get me wrong hahah! But the thing is that they don't have the "razor sharp" that I am looking for, well not to my ears at least. I already saw the video about the D activator! that's exactly what I am looking for, a bridge pickup that screams on the higher frets and not too bassy on the lower frets. I've already ear good things about these! Wonder if liquid fire in the neck and D activator in the bridge would be a good match?
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 02:13 PM

How about a Screamin Demon for the razor sharp effect then?
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Because I want my Ibanez to have Dimarzio brand hahah! All my 4 other guitars have duncan, just want to look up a new brand you know. Also I did forget to mention that this guitar will be my main STUDIO guitar! most of the time I play directly in front of a computer which means that the computer sound is really close to the guitar... maybe that could change my final choice?
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Because I want my Ibanez to have Dimarzio brand hahah! All my 4 other guitars have duncan, just want to look up a new brand you know. Also I did forget to mention that this guitar will be my main STUDIO guitar! most of the time I play directly in front of a computer which means that the computer sound is really close to the guitar... maybe that could change my final choice?
Yes, don't use EMG, they are ultra noisy.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
Yes, don't use EMG, they are ultra noisy.
EMG ultra noisy? I never ever heard that before.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 05:33 PM

You can always get a lot of versatility with common JB/jazz set. OEM in a lot of different guitars.

Tags
dimarzio , ibanez , prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode