best pickup with basswood in neck - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Banned

best pickup with basswood in neck

hello
i have a paf joe in neck

do you think it's really different from sh1, sh2, sh6 or classic 57 with basswood?
or other dimarzio?

which pickup will be a les paul sound, very warm in neck but can be stratty to?

paf joe is good but thin, weak, not fat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 10:05 AM

Re: best pickup with basswood in neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister disto View Post
hello
i have a paf joe in neck

do you think it's really different from sh1, sh2, sh6 or classic 57 with basswood?
or other dimarzio?

paf joe is good but thin, weak, not fat
The Classic '57 will give you that fat sound. A/B any solidbody guitar with an old school Gibson PAF with another solidbody and what you will hear mostly is that PAF. It's a testament to how great that design was.

Unplugged you can play a tele with a Gibson humbucker in neck and it will sound different than a 335 unplugged or a Les Paul Custom unplugged but when you plug it in you largely have that same fat sound the PAF is famous for. I have had 60+ guitars including expensive vintage pieces and we all love the romantic notion of different woods and construction. Nobody wants to think the sound is derived from your fingers and then your pickup, and little else. It's bad for all those wood aficionados!

But as long as we are talking solidbodies and most semi-hollowbodies, you core sound will be that of the pickup, especially if it's a really fat old school PAF in the neck. You won't get stratty per se, but do the Peter Green thing and invert it, and put in push pull pot so you can get that stratty tone in the middle position. If you don't want to play the rewiring game, play middle position for three humbuckers, put one volume +2 or -2 from the other volume knob, as on a Les Paul or SG control setup, and you will get a less sustaining stratty tone. But to revert back to full humbucker tone, put both volume controls back to 10. Experiment with this and you will be amazed at the range you could pull from messing with volume and tone controls .

Also to show the difference between a top pro and the rest of us, Roy Buchannan pretty much summed it up by getting a Les Paul tone from his Telecaster or Telecaster tone from his Les Paul all with his attack on guitar.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 12-13-2013 at 06:11 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 03:25 PM

Reviews: 120

For Gods Sake, stop spamming the forum with the same damned **** thread constantly. You've been given advice repeatedly and you are not paying any attention to it.

Mods, if he continues this can they just be banned?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
For Gods Sake, stop spamming the forum with the same damned **** thread constantly. You've been given advice repeatedly and you are not paying any attention to it.

Mods, if he continues this can they just be banned?
Sorry (if it's me you are referring to) I guess the links I put up do look like spam and can be seen as advertising, I will remove them and PM the person (Mister Disto) next time.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 12-13-2013 at 06:21 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 08:00 PM

Reviews: 120

Replied to your pm, wasn't talking about you! was talking about the op who keeps asking the same question in new threads over and over.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Replied to your pm, wasn't talking about you! was talking about the op who keeps asking the same question in new threads over and over.
Ha ha. I was nervous there for a time thinking I would get banned.

The OP could actually be a company and not an actual person, aka market research. There's this one computer company (I won't say) who would do this type of thing on a high tech site/forum. They wanted to get the pulse of the public and what they may or may not buy. If so many people responded with "x" product or "x, y, and z" features, then it would be noted as market research. Maybe it's Seymour's or Larry's rep in the field.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister disto View Post
hello

The one you take out of your LP and put in your strat... now GTFOHJ

Tags
js 1200 neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode