Best pickup for RG2020X - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Best pickup for RG2020X

Hi All,

Just got my hands on a RG2020X this is my second Ibanez in as many months and new to the Ibanez world. I want to swap out the stock bridge pickup and looking for suggestions on which pickup to go with. I play metal.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 02:24 PM

Re: Best pickup for RG2020X

Why do you want to swap it out? What does it have or lack that you don't like? What tone do you want it to produce? Warm? Cool? Open? Compressed? What kind of wood is your guitar's body? Fretboard? What kind of amp are you playing through? Effects? Metal is a hugely broad category - what flavor of metal are you doing? What tuning do you normally use?

Choosing a pickup to help develop your tone is a hugely personal, highly subjective topic. If you are going to ask for advice, you need to have a very clear idea of what you are going for, and you need to communicate that idea. That communication requires a LOT MORE INFO... As I believe the sticky on this very subject describes.

There are hundreds of great pickups for "metal" out there. Do a little research on your own, narrow down specifically what you're looking for and THEN ask our little community here much more specific questions, and we will be happy to offer our experience and insight.

With an open ended question like this though, you are unlikely to get anything more than a hodge-podge of random tastes...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 06:09 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfssdude View Post
Why do you want to swap it out? What does it have or lack that you don't like? What tone do you want it to produce? Warm? Cool? Open? Compressed? What kind of wood is your guitar's body? Fretboard? What kind of amp are you playing through? Effects? Metal is a hugely broad category - what flavor of metal are you doing? What tuning do you normally use?

Choosing a pickup to help develop your tone is a hugely personal, highly subjective topic. If you are going to ask for advice, you need to have a very clear idea of what you are going for, and you need to communicate that idea. That communication requires a LOT MORE INFO... As I believe the sticky on this very subject describes.

There are hundreds of great pickups for "metal" out there. Do a little research on your own, narrow down specifically what you're looking for and THEN ask our little community here much more specific questions, and we will be happy to offer our experience and insight.

With an open ended question like this though, you are unlikely to get anything more than a hodge-podge of random tastes...
WELL DONE YOUNG JEDI!!!!!!!!

I can't believe someone besides myself and Rob even know the sticky..... exists

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/be...ps-109555.html
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for not providing enough information, I play a lot of Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth and Slayer open E tuning most of the time some time drop D. My current amp is a Line6 Spider IV 75, specs of the guitar is below.

Body: Mahogany
Bridge: Double Lo Pro Edge
Neck: 3-Piece Maple
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Frets: 24/Jumbo
PU Config: HH + piezo
Neck PU: IBZ V7
Bridge PU: IBZ V8
Controls: Magnetic: 1 Volume / 1 Tone / 5-Way Lever
Piezo: 1 Volume / Output Jack Select Button / 2-Way Toggle

I'm looking for something with a punchy bass response and a bit of bite and clarity high output. I currently have a Schecter Hellraiser with EMGs 81/85 and love these pickups but I not sure if I'm able to put EMGs in without modifying the guitar.

Last edited by hdt79; 07-15-2012 at 08:51 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 09:11 PM

Reviews: 120

You could put in EMGs, but I'm going to recommend something else. The DiMarzio Mark Morton signature Dominions sound right up your alley. They are extremely tight and punchy, and have fantastic clarity. I think they would be perfect.

Tags
rg2020x

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode