Best way to get a new pickup routing.... - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Question Best way to get a new pickup routing....

Hey guys,

I want to convert an HSS routed guitar to an HxH routed guitar. The thing is, I don't have the expertize to do it myself, nor would I wanna take my chances.

So I was wondering if you guys can tell me the best way to go about this problem. I mean should I contact my local music stores and get a quote from them or are the luthiers the best way to go around it? Whatever the case, where do I find these sources? I mean I tried searching for luthiers in the yellow pages in my area and it found nothing. Also, the only music stores I have near me is a Sam Ash and another local music store. Should I give these guys a call?

One last thing, what would be some of the issues that I might have to deal with in this transition? I mean does the new routing hurt the finish/needs refinishing? What kind of pickup switches are going to be needed? And finally how much extra would it cost me to add a coil tap in the neck?

I know I could find a lot of these answers by calling some people, but to avoid being over charged and having some info before calling, I decided to post here to get some knowledge/opinions. Thank you for reading.

P.S: What does it mean by F-spacing and direct mounting and non-direct mounting, and how do these things affect the tone and installation of new pickups?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 10:24 PM

Re: Best way to get a new pickup routing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFragger
So I was wondering if you guys can tell me the best way to go about this problem. I mean should I contact my local music stores and get a quote from them or are the luthiers the best way to go around it? Whatever the case, where do I find these sources? I mean I tried searching for luthiers in the yellow pages in my area and it found nothing. Also, the only music stores I have near me is a Sam Ash and another local music store. Should I give these guys a call?
If either store has a bulletin board, you might take a look at that and see if there are any ads for guitar technicians / luthiers. I think the odds of someone who works at Sam Ash being able to handle this sort of mod are pretty low.

I think you'll have better luck at the local music store. Also, this may be obvious, but try Google Local. (Though if the Yellow Pages came up with nothing, Google might not help either.)

Also, you can try Jeremy at LGM (see banner above). A lot of people here have had work done by him and are really happy with the results.

Quote:
One last thing, what would be some of the issues that I might have to deal with in this transition? I mean does the new routing hurt the finish/needs refinishing?
I don't think so. But you should check.

Quote:
What kind of pickup switches are going to be needed?
I assume you have a five position blade style pickup switch now. You can just swap it out for a three position switch. (Or keep the five position, if you want a lot of different pickup combos.)

Quote:
And finally how much extra would it cost me to add a coil tap in the neck?
Do you mean if you have someone doing the wiring for you? I'd guess there's no difference in price

Quote:
I know I could find a lot of these answers by calling some people, but to avoid being over charged and having some info before calling, I decided to post here to get some knowledge/opinions. Thank you for reading.

P.S: What does it mean by F-spacing and direct mounting and non-direct mounting, and how do these things affect the tone and installation of new pickups?
F-Spacing refers to the spacing of the strings at the bridge on a Fender. (And by extension, Floyd Roses.) Standard spacing is the spacing on a Gibson. Standard spaced pickups are narrower so the pole pieces won't line up properly on a guitar with a Floyd or Fender style bridge. As I understand it, the difference is cosmetic and doesn't affect the sound.

When a pickup is direct mounted, it means that the screws are screwed directly into the body. Otherwise, they're mounted to the pickguard or mounting rings. There are differing opinions on whether or not this affects the tone.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 10:33 PM

Just wanted to add that there are two separate issues here--the routing and the wiring. IMO, the wiring is something that anyone with a reasonable amount of hand-eye coordination (which you should have if you play guitar! ) should be able to learn how to do.

The routing is the tricky part but as far as woodworking goes, it's not terribly complicated. If you have a friend who is an experienced woodworker, they should be able to do it.

You might consider that if you can't find any professionals to do it for you.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your very comprehensive reply man. I appreciate it. I don't think you have left me with anymore follow up question, so thanks. However, if someone else has a different opinion or advice, please post and I would appreciate it. Thank you!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 01:30 AM

I once had a 540R that i did that to. I went the dremel tool route (no pun) for that. not knowing what type of guitar you have, one problem you may have is that single coil pickups are wider/longer (however you look at it) than humbuckers. What i did was line up a new pickup bezel to the one in the bridge position and it came up just covering the single coil routing, I mounted it properly and did all my routing within that. just replicate what was done in the bridge slot, though don't go as deep if you don't need to. Don't drill through the back

If you have a good hand held routing tool with the proper fresh bits you should be fine with it. i did mine all free hand and it looked factory but woodworking runs in my family, so as they say, your mileage may vary...

Also, use some of that special shielding paint in the new slot.

Mike

Tags
bridge position , coil pickup , coil tap , floyd rose , guitar tech , local music store , music store , pickup combo , pickup switch , sam ash , spaced pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode