Bill Lawrence 500xl? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Bill Lawrence 500xl?

Hey Guys,

Was wondering where I could find the best 500xl from. I've read around, and seen that people have been recognizing some as 'fake' while others say theirs is perfectly legitimate. Where would I get the best reproduction of the original, I know that the 'billlawrenceusa' site sells the pickup, but I read that Bill Lawrence actually now makes pickups under the name 'Wilde Pickups.'

What's the best/most trustworthy to purchase from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 11:10 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Bill Lawrence 500xl?

Wilde Pickups are the genuine article.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 02:03 AM

Reviews: 4
Talking Re: Bill Lawrence 500xl?

Definatly Wilde Pickups, I have bought 2.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 06:31 AM

Reviews: 2

In 2005, I purchased one for my N4 (which doesn't come with the genuine Bill Lawrence by the way) directly from Bill and Becky - the REAL Bill Lawrence . It was night and day in comparison to the pickup stock in the N4. It is rather hot pickup, very full, and just oozing with harmonics! I haven't heard of the Wilde Pickups brand, but this may be where you can purchase the genuine article now.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 06:55 AM

The LawrenceUSA model CAN sound just as good as the ones Bill and Becky make, but the quality control is shoddy and you often get microphonic pups from what I've heard. Wilde is the safer route even if you have to wait longer for them. I've got a set on order for a little over two weeks now.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 09:48 AM

Ive tried 3 (new!) Bill Lawrence USA(?) pickups and none of them worked properly.
So please don't go there.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 05:26 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gideond View Post
The LawrenceUSA model CAN sound just as good as the ones Bill and Becky make, but the quality control is shoddy and you often get microphonic pups from what I've heard. Wilde is the safer route even if you have to wait longer for them. I've got a set on order for a little over two weeks now.
I was told that they are not even close (internally) to the same pickup......and by my experience, that is about right. This was not even a subtle difference, it was drastic. The knock off one was biting and harsh and toneless by comparison.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 05:47 PM

They use to be close, but as time has progressed they've likely started using cheaper components and changed the design to save money. I know there are definitely some plastic parts in the LawrenceUSA where there are metal components in the Wilde model. I've heard them both together and they were nearly identical in sound, but that was over 15 years ago. I haven't heard a modern LawrenceUSA. The more recent reports I've seen are the ones that talk about a lot of microphonic pickups. I certainly don't suggest buying one. I'm just saying it's possible to get a good one, but you are playing roulette.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 03:04 PM

Hi, It seems that the BillLawrence.com 500xl is what I believe the same as the Bill & Becky 500L. They both measure the same 11.8k where the B&B 500xl is around 14k so if one compared the BL.com XL to the B&B XL the BL.com is going to be weaker and brighter. They seem have output between a paf and super distortion to me. A fairer fight I guess would be to compare it to the B&B 500L and see if it sounds much different.

Does anyone know what Bill and Becky don't use shielded cable with their humbuckers?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 04:59 PM

I've got one of the plastic covered ones. its brutal. had it in many different guitars over the past 10 years. Mine sounds great, is quiet as a mouse when you need it to be but has great sustain and crunch.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I always thought that there was no way a pickup filled with epoxy could ever be microphonic. It pretty much seems impossible.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
I've got one of the plastic covered ones. its brutal. had it in many different guitars over the past 10 years. Mine sounds great, is quiet as a mouse when you need it to be but has great sustain and crunch.
Hi, who was the maker? Billlawerence.com?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defec View Post
I always thought that there was no way a pickup filled with epoxy could ever be microphonic. It pretty much seems impossible.
I would assume that depends on how well it's filled. If there are any voids then the possibility exists. It all comes down to quality control.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defec View Post
Hi, who was the maker? Billlawerence.com?
I got if off ebay years ago. It came in a case like this if memory serves correct

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
I would assume that depends on how well it's filled. If there are any voids then the possibility exists. It all comes down to quality control.
While that can be true I also wonder if some of it is people making stuff to stick up for Bill and Becky.

Tags
bill lawrence 500xl , dimebag , heavy metal , metal pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode