Bill Lawrence L-500XL - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Bill Lawrence L-500XL

Hey guys,

Anyone know of the best/cheapest place to get these pickups?
I want both a bridge and neck humbucker, so ideally anywhere that sells both would be lovely. I tried one yesterday and I loved it to bits! So "rawk" its unbelievable.

Places in the UK would be good, but places in the US willing to post to the UK would be good also. In fact they will probably be cheaper that way.

Cheers,
Gary - The.Godfather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Re: Bill Lawrence L-500XL

Actually, after doing a search, I read the best place to order them is from Bill and Becky Lawrence themselves on their site! Is this the best place? Just wondering if anyone had experience with ordering the pickups before.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 10:53 AM

Never ordered them before, but I do know that it will take a few weeks if you order from them.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser
Never ordered them before, but I do know that it will take a few weeks if you order from them.
Ah right, never knew that. Thats okay though, I will take that into consideration. Thanks.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 03:27 PM

Unless things have changed, the ONLY place to get them from, is Bill and Becky. Bowser is correct, that it does take a few weeks to get your order filled. They make them to order, by hand. Don't be fooled by the other "Lawrence" pickups. They are horrible, and are not the real thing. There's plenty to read about it on the REAL Lawrence site.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 03:36 PM

Gary, Machinehead USED to sell them, I think bought in bulk, it's where i bought my 500's from, New 90 the pair iirc, Give Jeff a ring

Rob
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Ah brilliant, nice one Rob. I shall give Jeff a ring tommorrow.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname
Unless things have changed, the ONLY place to get them from, is Bill and Becky. Bowser is correct, that it does take a few weeks to get your order filled. They make them to order, by hand. Don't be fooled by the other "Lawrence" pickups. They are horrible, and are not the real thing. There's plenty to read about it on the REAL Lawrence site.
Just to put that right there are 2 Bill Lawrence companies as of now and its the other original Bill Lawrence company Bill Lawrence USA that has been making pickups for the dime and nuno washburn guitars all along and dam rightly even today. So theyre not 'horrible' and are the 'real thing' too. Washburn know all about the conflict between the 2 companies and still use pickups from Bill Lawrence USA and not 'bill' and 'becky'. And the guy calling himself Bill Lawrence and formed the second company much later with the same trade name is actually Willi Stich who is a nice guy and worked with the original company before and designed the L500s but he just came back later with a slightly different version of the 'real' L500 range just to get even with the guys at the original company. Well both pickups are good in their own ways but people at Washburn are no fools to still use products of Bill Lawrence USA so you indeed have two versions of the same pickup from two different companies with the same name co existing with US laws upto now. Want the new L500XL from becky lawrence you will probably have to wait a few months, cant wait that long then there's the other company which already have them in stock.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 08:07 PM

Plz bear in mind that the "real" 500s comes wif 2mm blades, unlike those from billawrenceUSA thar comes wif 1mm.

As to which is better, the general consensus is the 500s from bill & becky is "better". U shld judge it for urself.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloop9
Plz bear in mind that the "real" 500s comes wif 2mm blades, unlike those from billawrenceUSA thar comes wif 1mm.

As to which is better, the general consensus is the 500s from bill & becky is "better". U shld judge it for urself.
"wif"? Ha hah ha...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 07:36 AM

Bill Lawrence USA IS Bill and Becky. The other is simply called Lawrence.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname
Bill Lawrence USA IS Bill and Becky. The other is simply called Lawrence.
dont let that confuse you godfather, the websites are bill lawrence usa - www.billlawrenceusa.com, bill lawrence (bill and becky) - www.billlawrence.com, these are the 2 different companies, i say why wait for months together for 'becky' to make one, get what washburn uses on their guitars in a few days time max...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

I found a UK company that sells them now. I gave Machinehead a ring and they said that they didnt stock them anymore. But they gave me the number to Dixies Music in Huddersfield. They sell them there no problems!!

It does seem however that there is a bit of "bitter" rivalry or competition between those two companies....Bill Lawrence USA and Bill and Becky. I asked Dixies which company they order from, and they said Bill Lawrence USA. They seemed to think that both companies were practically the same.

Apparently you were correct, they used to be just 1 company. But an original employer left and started up another version of the company. Either way they both sound the same and are exactly the same I am told. The only difference notable is the waiting time to get them. With BL USA you get them instantly. With Bill and Becky you have to wait months.

Either way, I know I am getting a real deal pickup. Both Dixies and Machinehead both said that they wouldnt stock anything else! As long as they have a stupidly high-output I dont care!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 02:42 AM

is this what ur after?

http://www.axesrus.com/axepickup.htm

scroll down a bit and they have a few bill lawrence pickups..
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I know about them. I order quite alot of my stuff from there. I saw they had them about 2 weeks ago - but they said they were out of stock. They emailed me a few days ago telling me they were back in stock! I will probably order some from there too. But Dixies seem to be a little cheaper.

Tags
bridge pickup , neck humbucker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode