Bill Lawrence L500XL PROBLEM!!! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Bill Lawrence L500XL PROBLEM!!!

hey, i recently bought an L500XL and decided to put it in my 1992 RG550.
i removed the old bridge pickup (V2) and put in the L500XL...

but what i have noticed is that whenver i switch to the bridge position, 90% of the distortion disappears and i get a tinny, trebbly weak sound coming from it.

i've tried every single wiring possibility, and everything gives me the same result. is my pickup busted, or am i forgetting something basic here?!!!!

anyways, basically problem is loss in volume and gain....with weak trebbly sound....as soon as i switch back to anything else, its FULL distortion again

pleeeeese help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 09:29 PM

Re: Bill Lawrence L500XL PROBLEM!!!

it sounds like you've accidentally wired the coils out of phase with each other. check the Lawrence wiring colors -- they are not the same as DiMarzio -- and double-check your wiring.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 02:39 AM

try guitarelectronics.com for the wiring codes

Rob
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 06:24 AM

TMTH i just bought an XL500 from Bill Lawrence USA and i went through the same problem and i only came to know its out of phase when i wired the same pickup for a friend. Now the XL500 from Bill Lawrence USA has red as hot green and white for coil splitting and black and bare to ground. You might have already tried it but switching the red hot from the pickup selector with the black that goes to ground will instantly get your pickups back in phase with all the harmonics and amazing sound of the XL, if that dosent work either the pickup is probably faulty and you might need to get it replaced.

Tags
bridge pickup , bridge position , coil split , coil splitting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode