Blaze or Blaze Custom? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Blaze or Blaze Custom?

This is my first time looking at 7 string pickups, so I'm a bit lost and could use some advice. I think I've settled on a Blaze arrangement, but can't decide on which bridge I would like more, the regular Blaze or the Blaze Custom?

What's throwing me is that DiMarzio is making it sound like adding the low string would make you want an inherently different pickup. For a 6 string pickup, I'd never buy something with an EQ curve like a Blaze, but the description is making me second guess myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiMarzio
We designed the Blaze™ Bridge Model with a scooped midrange, to keep the low seventh string as bright and open-sounding as possible. Chords are very clean, and even heavy overdrive retains a lot of definition.
That makes complete sense I guess? The Blaze Custom has an EQ curve more like I'm used to and says that it's more of a soloists pickup. But is that what you really want on a 7?

Anyone have experience with both of these pickups?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:38 AM

Re: Blaze or Blaze Custom?

I watched a comparison video of the two, and once I have the extra money I'm getting some customs.I think they sounded better imo
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:50 AM

I own both-
I have the Blaze in my UVMC, Herc UVMC and my UVGR
Blaze Custon in my UV777PBK
EVO 7 in my PWH and my Black RG7620
Crunch Lab in my Silver RG7620

I'll pull them out and try tham side-by-side, it's been awhile.

Last edited by sebastian; 06-11-2013 at 09:02 AM.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:25 AM

Okay, I tried them side-by-side.
The Blaze has the mids pulled down a little; it is the warmer of the two pickups.
The Custom has more mids and more presence over the entire tone.
The Custom is not as warm and a lot more aggressive; it reminds me of the six string Tone Zone a bit.
I like them both-
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comparison! Sounds like the Blaze is more what I'm after.

By the way, I installed the EVO 2 into my RGT the other day and I'm really happy with it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:26 AM

I'm glad you like the EVO2.
Have Fun!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 08:27 AM

Reviews: 2

I have the Blaze custom for my OOTS. I've tried this, the standard blaze set, and a set of EVO7's in my 7421. The EVO7's have the most balanced tone for me. They're nothing like 6-string evo's. The ice-pick, shrill high-end of the 6-string model is not present in the 7-string version.

The custom sounds very good too, but a little more mid-rangey with slightly more low end beef than the EVO7. I know DiMarzio says differently, maybe it's because of the slightly increased highs of the EVO??

The standard blaze bridge (IMO) is boring, underpowered, and uninspiring. It was the first 7-string pickup they ever made. I think they were playing it safe to keep it from getting muddy?? Either way, their other selections are markedly improved through time.

If I can find a TZ-7 cheap, it will be my next experiment.........
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Thanks for the comparison! Sounds like the Blaze is more what I'm after.

By the way, I installed the EVO 2 into my RGT the other day and I'm really happy with it.
Can you tell me more about how it sounds?..... you know how much trouble I've had with my RGT.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 09:26 AM

Smile Re: Blaze or Blaze Custom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I have the Blaze custom for my OOTS. I've tried this, the standard blaze set, and a set of EVO7's in my 7421. The EVO7's have the most balanced tone for me. They're nothing like 6-string evo's. The ice-pick, shrill high-end of the 6-string model is not present in the 7-string version.

The custom sounds very good too, but a little more mid-rangey with slightly more low end beef than the EVO7. I know DiMarzio says differently, maybe it's because of the slightly increased highs of the EVO??

The standard blaze bridge (IMO) is boring, underpowered, and uninspiring. It was the first 7-string pickup they ever made. I think they were playing it safe to keep it from getting muddy?? Either way, their other selections are markedly improved through time.

If I can find a TZ-7 cheap, it will be my next experiment.........
Your right, the EVO7 sounds nothing like the EVO 6 string version, it's better.
It sounds more like the EVO2 6 string to me with more output, HOTTER!
I love the 6 string Tone Zone so I like the Blaze Custom.
I want to get a TZ7 as well and see what it sounds like in reality.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Can you tell me more about how it sounds?..... you know how much trouble I've had with my RGT.
I'm traveling but when I get home I'll do some playing and get you a good review.

I will tell you that the Liquifire in the neck of that guitar is AMAZING. So good that it makes me almost not want to play the bridge pickup. I always thought that the PAF Pro in the neck of my RG3120 was fantastic and I've also really liked an Air Norton I had in an RG2005-1 (I think I sold you that pickup?). If you like the Air Norton sound, I think you would really enjoy the Liquifire in the neck. It gives the guitar a very bluesy/jazzy sound. I feel that a lot of neck pickups are way to muddy and that is definitely not the issue here.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 12:18 PM

The EVO2 is an EVo1 with the output backed off and make it a warm pickup, not an ice pick.
The EVO2 is one of my favorite bridge pickups.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode