Blaze custom 7 vs Evo 7 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Blaze custom 7 vs Evo 7

I prefer blaze custom 7's in most of my guitars. I'm thinking of trying out an evo 7. Wanted to see if any one had any experience with them in 7620's or 1527's. I'm going for a Dimebag tone. Alas Lawerence doesn't make a 500XL for 7's. Anyone? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 05:59 PM

Re: Blaze custom 7 vs Evo 7

If you're going for the Dimebag tone, the Evo 7 would be closer than the Blaze Custom 7. Mind you, prior to the Duncan Dimebuckers Dimebag used the Duncan Invaders and they DO make a 7 string Invader.

(note: you can also order a custom wound 7-string dimebucker from Duncan).
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce
If you're going for the Dimebag tone, the Evo 7 would be closer than the Blaze Custom 7. Mind you, prior to the Duncan Dimebuckers Dimebag used the Duncan Invaders and they DO make a 7 string Invader.

(note: you can also order a custom wound 7-string dimebucker from Duncan).
Um, before the Dimebucker, Dime used a Bill Lawrence XL500. The Dimebucker is a cosmetic copy of the XL500. I've never heard of Dime using an Invader.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 01:05 AM

i tried out an evo 7 in a 7621 and didnt like it at all. i think what ur really after is a custom wound dimebucker 7... plus thatd be cool as hell
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Called duncan today and they won't do a 7 string dimebucker. They said a duncan distortion would be what I want. From what I can tell the evo 7 is pretty close to the blaze cutom, just a little more treble. Which would be good for those harmonic squeals. But I guess the low end suffers right? I am still undecided.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 07:40 PM

Keep us posted if you find anything that does what you're after(Squealing Harmonics+Chunky low-end I presume?). That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for and I'd be very keen to know if you find a 7-string pickup that gives you that sound.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretcher7
Called duncan today and they won't do a 7 string dimebucker. They said a duncan distortion would be what I want. From what I can tell the evo 7 is pretty close to the blaze cutom, just a little more treble. Which would be good for those harmonic squeals. But I guess the low end suffers right? I am still undecided.
I guess I've been lied to by Mr. Duncan at Namm. Maybe it was just a pitch to get me to order his pickups. Hhhmmm...

toshiro: I thought he always used the XL500 pickups myself, but Dime was listed as being a user of the Invader and the '59 when he initially got the endorsement. But then again, Dimebag also endorsed the Snarling Dog Whine-O wah for a period of 2-3 months and never really used it(afterwards he was picked up by Dunlop to push the 535Q wah).

Gotta love how some people get endorsed for products they never really use. (By the way, do correct me if I am wrong on anything. All my info comes from sales reps telling me ways to market the products and they're almost about as bad as regular sales guys sometimes)

Last edited by buddroyce; 03-15-2005 at 12:16 AM. Reason: I really need to learn how to spell properly again. (must be all the crack *wink*)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

I remember seeing pictures of Dime with invaders in the bridge. Very short period of time, but he used them at some point.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 07:45 AM

I thought the Evo7's where to bright. They cut the mix well,, and sounded better when surrounded by music ( band setting ),,,,, alone practicing? Hated them. The Blaze customs have been the Sh#$ for me. I currently have the Blaze custom in a bridge on one of my 1527's.

~A

Last edited by Allen Garrow; 03-15-2005 at 07:56 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretcher7
I remember seeing pictures of Dime with invaders in the bridge. Very short period of time, but he used them at some point.
So I guess I'm *not* crazy and/or misinformed. However, it does make sense though seeing that Seymour Duncan wouldn't endorse an artist for only ONE pickup on thier guitars.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 11:34 PM

Although, on Seymour's site, and in the interview with Dime on the site, he says absolutly nothing about the Invader. Maybe one of the Dimebucker Prototypes had the slugs like that? Doing a search on SD'd site turns up nothing, not even in the press release from when the DImebucker debuted.

I find it odd that all the pics I've seen of Dime's guitars have the XL500 or the Dimebuckers, which look identical.

Besides which, the Invader is the exact oposite in tone from a XL500 or Dimebucker, as both of those pickups are very bright while the Invader is very thick/bassy. I wouldn't think Dime with the tone from an Invader, it's far too bassy.

Dime was using Duncan 59's in the neck since the beginning, so it's not like he was only using the Dimebucker.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 02:25 AM

Okay, since I've got 2 posts in here, maybe I should say something about the Blaze Custom vs EVO7. lol

I had an Evolution 7 in an RG7620 for couple years, it's a very bright, very high-gain pickup. It's got this sizzle that you'll never be rid of, it's also compressed to the point of distortion. Lead lines sound killer, rhythm playing is a bit harder, you have to mute perfect to keep it clean. I sold my 7620 though, not because I didn't like the Evo7, but because I'm not happy with the B tuning of the 7 string. I prefer D or Db/C# for a low tuned death mteal-type sound.

I've heard the Blaze Custom is smoother, and I would probably go for this if I bought another 7 string...

I agree with SD, the Duncan Distortion 7 would be closer to the Dimebucker than the Invader 7 is in overall tone. The lowered bass would also add some punch and clarity to the low strings as well.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
Okay, since I've got 2 posts in here, maybe I should say something about the Blaze Custom vs EVO7. lol

I had an Evolution 7 in an RG7620 for couple years, it's a very bright, very high-gain pickup. It's got this sizzle that you'll never be rid of, it's also compressed to the point of distortion. Lead lines sound killer, rhythm playing is a bit harder, you have to mute perfect to keep it clean. I sold my 7620 though, not because I didn't like the Evo7, but because I'm not happy with the B tuning of the 7 string. I prefer D or Db/C# for a low tuned death mteal-type sound.

I've heard the Blaze Custom is smoother, and I would probably go for this if I bought another 7 string...

I agree with SD, the Duncan Distortion 7 would be closer to the Dimebucker than the Invader 7 is in overall tone. The lowered bass would also add some punch and clarity to the low strings as well.
SD Distortions sound nice. I'd say the JB-7 is better... just a bit "brighter (sorta)" but smoother. Sounds similar to Distortion, however (MUCH closer to it than the Invader). Neither are dark. JB and Blaze Custom sound a bit alike to my ears, with JB a bit more sizzle and spank, BC a bit more bass and smoothness, but both have a middy, clear, focused, cutting sound, that's pretty. The Distortion is similar, but not nearly as "pretty" (more rude and aggressive sounding).

Hope that helps.

Tags
duncan distortion , duncan invader , low strings , seymour duncan , string pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode