Blower Switch Wiring - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Blower Switch Wiring

As I'm sure you're all aware, the new Suhr Guthrie Govan mahogany signature model is awesome http://www.suhrguitars.com/artistMod...px?series=ggsn

The part that catches my eye is the blower swith. For those of you that don't know, it's a cool idea: push it, and you get full bridge humbucker, volume pot, tone pot and other pickups all bypassed. Push it again and the guitar reverts back to whatever selection you had beforehand. Awesome.

I was looking around for a wiring diagram, since a 'solo' button sounds like a cool thing to add to my project strat, and it's harder than I thought. I got one website telling me you need a 3pdt switch, and apparently Suhr themselves use a dedicated PCB board.

Wait? A dedicated PCB board? I've a better idea.

I think it can be done with only a SPDT ON-ON switch. I've yoinged a wiring diagram from Seymour Duncan, since that's what I have in my strat, and have added what I think will work. I think at the moment if the pups are coil cut, you get a coil cut full bridge pup.

http://tinypic.com/r/ta662o/7
or
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/6...itchwiring.jpg

What I'm asking is, will this work? Have I missed something? It looks good to me, but I'm no expert, and you guys are.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 11:49 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Blower Switch Wiring

you're switching output jack ground...seems wrong
What you want to do is cut the ground of tone cap to render it out of the circuit. 0.022uF cap's other end shouldn't go to the back of the pot but to the switch. When switch is ON, connection between ground and cap should be broken. To kill volume switch, you'd have to connect volume lug that's normally grounded to the same lug on your blower switch where that cap is connected.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 02:39 AM

Reviews: 120

You need a DPDT switch for it. I found a Premier Guitar article online about it. I'll post it when I get to my desktop pc. I'm going to do a DIY article for my blog soon.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 04:58 AM

Without the DPDT switch you will still leave the volume and tone pot loading the circuit.
You need to disconnect the jack signal wire from the volume pot with one set of poles and disconnect the bridge pickup from the PU switch with the other. When these two connections are broken, i.e. the switch is thrown, these two should be connected together, pickup straight to output no loading.
The added complication is in your circuit when the bridge pickup is tapped it will still be tapped when the blower is activated.
Hope this helps!
Jim
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 05:21 AM

Reviews: 120

This might help you with working out what you need to do:
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...aster_Mod.aspx

Tags
blower , guthrie govan , switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode