Bored? Help Me Out With My Pickup Problems - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Bored? Help Me Out With My Pickup Problems

So I've finally got all of the parts I need to finish my RG550 project. The pickups I got are as follows:

Tone Zone- Bridge
Blue Velvet (NOT reverse polarity)- Middle
Humbucker From Hell- Neck

The problem is in the lack of reverse polarity in the Blue Velvet. I forgot to ask for that option when I was ordering the pickups at Guit. Cntr. Does anyone know if I can still use the non reversed polarity single coil and have everything work out? I assume the reverse winding of the middle pickup is for hum-cancelling purposes. Should I return it for a reverse polarity model or can I just go on without it? If I do go on without it, how do I do the wiring? I'm going by the JEM wiring diagram on the DiMarzio web site. I emailed DiMarzio tech support but it'll take a while for them to get back to me so I figured I'd ask around here first.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 03:59 PM

I think you can still use it. When you split the humbuckers, you can use the outside coils instead of the inside ones in positions 2 & 4. The reverse polarity middle coil is a lot more important on Strats where you have 3 single coils.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 09:29 PM

or, if you still want to use the inner coils and have them hum cancel, flip the humbuckers 180 degrees. this will rotate the magents and in effect flip the magnetic polarities of the coils that are "inner" or "outer".

you may have to futz with the wiring to make sure you get the right wiring direction [to compensate for the fact that you don't have a Reverse Wound single], but with 4 conductor humbuckers it is possible to set it up this way.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 09:51 PM

The bridge coil that's closest to the middle pup is the best one to split to IME, because the output is higher. It just always seems to quack more.

Which neck coil is used with this seems to matter much less, so you can take your pick there.

So I'd want a south magnet there. If that has magnet polepieces, you COULD flip the mags around and wire it backwards. But if you can return it, that's a better bet.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTER700
The bridge coil that's closest to the middle pup is the best one to split to IME, because the output is higher. It just always seems to quack more.
not really, unless you have a humbucker of unusal design with two very different coils, the output of each coil is going to be pretty much the same.

the inner coil does quack more, but that's because of the position of the coil, toward the middle and farther away from the bridge. just like the difference between a bridge pickup sound and a neck pickup, the outer coil of a bridge humbucker will sound sharper and the inner coil will be smoother with more quack.

Quote:
Which neck coil is used with this seems to matter much less, so you can take your pick there.
it may be more subtle, but you can hear a definate difference in the two neck coils as well. i like them all, so i wire all my guitars to use the inner and outer coils in different switch positions.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of Actual Time
Quote:
not really, unless you have a humbucker of unusal design with two very different coils, the output of each coil is going to be pretty much the same.
Well, that's what "in my experience" means. YES, my Duncan JB is like this, and it isn't an "uneven" design. (My Steve's special certainly does too, but it IS an uneven design). With the JB, I'm not sure if the extra output is due to that coil using slugs instead of screws, or if it's because the "inner" coil is 50% further from the bridge and thus senses more string excursion (the same way a neck pup has more output, but to a much lesser degree).

Quote:
the inner coil does quack more, but that's because of the position of the coil, toward the middle and farther away from the bridge. just like the difference between a bridge pickup sound and a neck pickup, the outer coil of a bridge humbucker will sound sharper and the inner coil will be smoother with more quack.

Quote:
it may be more subtle, but you can hear a definate difference in the two neck coils as well. i like them all, so i wire all my guitars to use the inner and outer coils in different switch positions.
Yeah. In mine it's very subtle. I didn't say it didn't matter, only that it mattered less; at this point many people have other priorities like keeping combinations humbucking, so you choose the coil you have to for other reasons. If you want ALL the different sounds you'll have pretty complicated switching. I feel your pain, since I'm assembling my baby right now with 2 5-way switches and a push-pull pot! But that's more than most people want...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:14 PM

I can wire it pretty quick and easy to alternate coils. I'll usually have a push/pull that cuts them, and then another, or a mini toggle that "flips" them just by switching the coil cut ground to the respective hot on the switch. I agree with Jester about the output difference being from the string movement. The quack factor is individual. A strat bridge pickup angles from near the neck side on the low E to the bridge side on the high E, so it's kind of like saying "which string section are you trying to emulate the strat sound from, low or high?"

On the neck pickup, I find it to be essential which coil you use. Perhaps on a 24 fret guitar it's less apparent because you're already an inch or so back from where a strat neck pickup is. But if you're using the neck pickup as a single by itself, the throaty, greasy sound is only coming off the neck side coil, merely due to its location. As far as the combination with the middle pickup, though, both are okay, because that middle pickup addition notches (or quacks) out those freq's anyway. So you're back to personal preference there.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of Actual Time
Quote:
Well, that's what "in my experience" means. YES, my Duncan JB is like this, and it isn't an "uneven" design. (My Steve's special certainly does too, but it IS an uneven design). With the JB, I'm not sure if the extra output is due to that coil using slugs instead of screws, or if it's because the "inner" coil is 50% further from the bridge and thus senses more string excursion.
sure, any coil farther from the bridge will have slightly higher induced current in the windings because of the greater amplitude in the string motion, if all other things [like the number of windings] are equal. but the difference in amplitude for a half-inch of distance is small; hence "pretty much the same."

my point was that the output of the different coils is far less important for how the cut coils sound than their position. the same string amplitude issue changes the tone as you move from bridge to neck far more than it changes the output [especially given that neck pickups compensate with fewer windings]. you can't get as good a sharp bridge single coil sound out of the inner coil of a bridge HB because it's too far from the bridge, not because of the output difference. and like frank said, you can't get as good a phat neck single coil sound out of the inner coil of a neck HB.

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , fret guitar , inner coils , mini toggle , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck pup , strat bridge , strat bridge pickup , strat sound , string section , tone zone , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode