Breed lovers, lend me your thoughts - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Breed lovers, lend me your thoughts

I'm looking for a new bridge pickup for my RGT320. If you aren't familiar with this guitar, it's a neck-thru, so it has the 5-piece maple/wenge running all the way through, mahogany wings and a maple cap. I replaced the stock DiMarzio/IBZ pickups some time ago with a Crunch Lab/Liquifire setup.

I can't say enough good about the Liquifire, but the Crunch Lab isn't doing it for me. I actually really like the tight and pretty open bass and mids, but I find the treble sound horribly grating. I'm a big 80's rock/metal fan, so I always gravitate toward more classic PAF-type sounds. So I want to keep the nice, tight rhythm sounds of the Crunch Lab but also get something that sounds better up top. And I want something different than what I have. And it has to be DiMarzio because this guitar has direct mount pups.

Here's what I have:

PAF Pro - I have these in a few classic Jems and have always loved them.

FRED - I have this in a JS and an RG. This might be my favorite bridge pickup. I love the way the harmonics pop out.

F2 - I also really love this pickup. I know it's often described as being like the Tone Zone, but I don't buy that.

Tone Zone - I don't really like this pickup. I think it sounds OK in the one guitar I have it in, but it's only because I don't want to molest the guitar. I think these ate horribly harsh sounding.

Norton - I have this in a mahogany J.Custom and like the sound of it quite a lot. I only wish it were more harmonic happy.

Duncan JB - Holy harmonics! That part is great but the overall sound is not as refined as some of the DiMarzio stuff.

There are a few others, but they're more of a "they come in that guitar" and aren't worth mentioning here.

Which brings me to the Breed. I like that it's described as a more modern PAF Pro, I like that it has alnico magnets, and i like that it's described as being harmonic happy. But the EQ curve has me a bit spooked. I don't like seeing the bass spiked like that and I'm worried that the pickup will be muddy and lack definition. But maybe I'm just being paranoid?

I know that's a lot to read but I'd really appreciate your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 10:14 AM

Re: Breed lovers, lend me your thoughts

Give me a call, we can chat a bit.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 10:56 AM

Reviews: 2

I suppose I can address your concerns with bass in regards to the Breed pickup. I have a UV777BK and use the neck pup a lot. This is with treble down and bass up on both the amp and any gain pedals and the only issue with any lack of definition comes with playing chords starting on the 7th string in the first few positions. In the neck position I have no such problem. In fact, root 5th chords on the lower part of the 7th sting sound tight and sharp.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

So after a long conversation with Sebastian and listening to some samples on DiMarzio.com, I've decided to try an Evo 2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode