breed pickups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

breed pickups

why do the pickups in my dbk sound like they are too close to the strings? i have tried every kind of height on all of them, and now they are all just flush with the pickguard, and they still make that sound like they are too close to the strings, but the output is really weak when they are that low. there has to be some sort of problem with them, but i dont know what to look for.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 04:22 PM

grounding problems maybe?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

it is grounded to the trem right? it looks good to me.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 05:12 PM

Hey Marshall,Whats your location? It sounds like they are wired wrong,or maybe poor solder joints,Breeds are anything but weak,If the S/coil is louder than the Hums,you have a wiring prob ... Any chance you could post a pic?

Regards

Rob
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

i live in the u.s. and the middle coil is definitely not louder than others, it is the most unusable pickup. i forgot to mention that the pickups are fine on the clean channel, and the symptoms i am talking about only happen when i hit the distortion. nothing is wrong with the amp or pedals, cause my other guitar works fine through the same setup.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 07:04 PM

Strange.

The bridge model is stronger than the Air Zone and Norton pickups, a little weaker than the Tone Zone. The neck model is stronger than most of the other neck pickups: Air Norton, FRED, PAF Pro, Evolution,...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

ya, i think the pickups are just jacked up, im goin to get evolutions, what should i use as a single coil that would work well with evos?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 07:30 PM

It happened to me once, I went to a friend´s house, it was raining and I wasn´t taking my guitar case with me. Some rain fell over my guitar and the bridge humbucker became weaker. I opened the guitar, just moved the wires a little and it started sounding good again.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

damn i think that could be the problem, cause the box it was in was a little damp, cause it got shipped in the rain and stupid mail man left it on the porch.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

you think i should spray the wires with contact cleaner or something?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 08:04 AM

i'd probably re-solder all electrical connections as a starting point dude,it'll only take a few mins,and the bonus is you can do a wire at a time and not f**k it all up :-)

If you are gonna replace em tho,i'd be interested in the s/coil and neck breed :-) As for replacements,Evo/bluevelvet/evo i have that combo and it's versatile,awesome,awe inspiring and other good collatives :-)

Seriously tho,re wire first,it might just save you a small fortune

Rob
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 11:56 AM

Marshall,

I simply opened the pickguard and checked all the connections.
They´re all fine. So I closed it and the bridge humbucker was working again.

You should try
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
i'd probably re-solder all electrical connections as a starting point dude,it'll only take a few mins,and the bonus is you can do a wire at a time and not f**k it all up :-)

If you are gonna replace em tho,i'd be interested in the s/coil and neck breed :-) As for replacements,Evo/bluevelvet/evo i have that combo and it's versatile,awesome,awe inspiring and other good collatives :-)

Seriously tho,re wire first,it might just save you a small fortune

Rob
yesterday i opened it up, and everything looked perfect, there was a lot of excess wiring but that might be normal. I am going to take my guitar to a tech this weekend and see what he has to say. i think i was going to replace them anyway, even if it is just the wiring, cause the breeds aren't trebly enough for me so ill send you a pm when i am ready to sell them. plus i don't have any soldering experience or the equipment.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 03:17 PM

No worries Bro,Evo's have a little more top end,without being overly bright or harsh,i personally love the Paf-Pro,Breed and Evo's

Rob

Tags
air norton , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , neck pickup , neck pickups , paf pro , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode