Breed Questions? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
Breed Questions?

Hey Guys.. Anyone like the breed here a lot? I'm considering one on my S series guitar..
I've tried the stock V8 and V7 pups, don't much care for them.

I tried just a few minutes ago (After figuring out why it didn't work in another guitar) my Duncan Super D. It is just too bright and thin in this S guitar.

I tried the PAF Pro in the bridge and it's also too thin, and too bright.

I like the harmonics of the Duncan Super, but too thin.

I want a lot of mids for scream, but I like tight bass too.. I play mostly hard rock, blues and metal.. Mostly, but from time to time I need to clean it up.. I'm going to stick with the stock single.. I typically play in the bridge position most of the time.. 85% or more. I'll use the PAF Pro in the neck where I think it should be fine.. So:

Breed?
Super D?
or Tone Zone? For bridge of this S series guitar?

Especially since I have a Low Pro edge trim and I'd like to get back the bass .. I however want a lot of output..
Thanks in advance..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 05:04 PM

Re: Breed Questions?

If you are looking for squealing mids, look into the Dimarzio Freds. I have them in a mahogany rg 520, and they sound like what your what your looking for.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehiras View Post
If you are looking for squealing mids, look into the Dimarzio Freds. I have them in a mahogany rg 520, and they sound like what your what your looking for.
Sounds like the perfect suggestion!
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Fred, Really? I thought it would be a little under powered?
Tim
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Fred, Really? I thought it would be a little under powered?
Tim
You said a lot of output, I misread that!

The Super Distortion will fit your needs.

I wouldn't put mahogany and Alnico 5 together. The Super 3 would be a good way to go if you had a basswood RG instead.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I thought about the Super 3, but I thhought it'd be safe with the Super D instead. What about the Tone Zone or the Breed? I'd like the guitar pup to have high output, but still clean up a little if needed, and it will need to split well with the single coil of course hopeuflly to get that jimi hendrix tone if needed when I do play those songs.. So, I'm considering the Super D, the Breed and the Tone Zone the most. What do you think of those choices and which would be best all around for high output, more bass and screaming mids and still clean up good and split well? I no, I don't want too much huh? LOL
The Breed interests me as I've not tried it. I used to own a Tone Zone with an RG, and too me it was close, but too dark. It had great harmonics and output.. but too compressed in that guitar at least.. which of course had a basswood body, etc,.
So, I'm considering the breed big time.. and the Super D is a safe bet, but I'm afraid it will have almost too much output. I have a couple guitars for metal that have actives, and I need this guitar to do other songs with that might not need to be so high output, but if I do need screaming leads I would like to have it.. I'm not using the highest output amp.. Right now just recording, but I have an old digital amp, but in the market for a new Peavey.. The Chorus 2 x 12 anaolog, but not tube. Has the transtube emulation which is analog I do believe..

Tim
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Yeah, I thought about the Super 3, but I thhought it'd be safe with the Super D instead. What about the Tone Zone or the Breed? I'd like the guitar pup to have high output, but still clean up a little if needed, and it will need to split well with the single coil of course hopeuflly to get that jimi hendrix tone if needed when I do play those songs.. So, I'm considering the Super D, the Breed and the Tone Zone the most. What do you think of those choices and which would be best all around for high output, more bass and screaming mids and still clean up good and split well? I no, I don't want too much huh? LOL
The Breed interests me as I've not tried it. I used to own a Tone Zone with an RG, and too me it was close, but too dark. It had great harmonics and output.. but too compressed in that guitar at least.. which of course had a basswood body, etc,.
So, I'm considering the breed big time.. and the Super D is a safe bet, but I'm afraid it will have almost too much output. I have a couple guitars for metal that have actives, and I need this guitar to do other songs with that might not need to be so high output, but if I do need screaming leads I would like to have it.. I'm not using the highest output amp.. Right now just recording, but I have an old digital amp, but in the market for a new Peavey.. The Chorus 2 x 12 anaolog, but not tube. Has the transtube emulation which is analog I do believe..

Tim
The Super 3 would be perfect for you except for 2 things. It's dark and compressed, a lot more than a Tone Zone.

The Tone Zone and Breed are good pickups but since you already have an S series with mahogany body, you could lose attack and definition. Those pickups are much better in basswood. The Breed is like an improved version of the Tone Zone IMO, just like the Evo 2 compared to the original Evolution.

The Super D did give me some headaches. That always happens when there's too much mid-bass going on. Try a D Sonic with the bar facing the neck.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Thank you..
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearsx View Post
The Super 3 would be perfect for you except for 2 things. It's dark and compressed, a lot more than a Tone Zone.

The Tone Zone and Breed are good pickups but since you already have an S series with mahogany body, you could lose attack and definition. Those pickups are much better in basswood. The Breed is like an improved version of the Tone Zone IMO, just like the Evo 2 compared to the original Evolution.

The Super D did give me some headaches. That always happens when there's too much mid-bass going on. Try a D Sonic with the bar facing the neck.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

What about a Norton? Does it have enough output? Say as much as the Tone Zone, but still have screaming mids? I need something that has good mids and yet isn't so spikey in the treble and makes up for the frequencies lost in the Low Pro bridge.. ?
I had a Super 3 once in a Fender "The Strat" guitar and it just rocked. I think it was a guitar body made of either Mahogany or Basswood, but don't quote me on that. I'll have to look, but from what it looks like on paper you'd think it would have been too dark, but it wasn't. That guitar had a Khalor "Floyd Copy" A good one too I might add.. Just like a real floyd as far as I could tell. Didn't seem cheap at least.. like some copies I've seen in the past.. That guitar had it all with that super 3 to me. It just had the right tone. I don't know why I sold that guitar.. I think someone offered me too much money for it and I ended up buying a Godin if memory serves me..
So now, I'm looking at the Norton, Super D, and Super 3 really. Maybe the Breed if it isn't too dark and has enough output..
Tim
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 11:35 PM

The Breed isn't as dark as the Super 3 but I think it lacks output. It's too fat and vintage sounding.

Now the Super D, I've been thinking about buying another one off 3bay!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 02:45 AM

Reviews: 11
Unhappy Re: Breed Questions?

No one ever suggests it and I don't know why... the F2 just rocks. Ima tone zone whore, but the f2 is just an awesome pickup and should be up your alley.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 07:38 AM

I love the F2. One of my favorites.

Lots of output and tight bass? Sounds like a good job for a Crunch Lab.

I find the Tone Zone to be harsh in basswood but I think it sounds pretty decent in my mahogany J.Custom. I put a Norton in a different mahogany guitar and while I like it, I'm not sure if it's what he's after here.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 AM

Dude, I think you are quite literally the only person I've ever heard call the tone zone "muddy" haha
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 05:03 PM

Reviews: 120

The only person? You don't get around forums much do you!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
The only person? You don't get around forums much do you!
Hahahaha I meant to say "harsh" not "muddy". Most people call it muddy, so my brain farted a bit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode