Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  _FR0D0 
#1 ·
Could someone give me a quick run-down of the differences in sound between these three types of pups...I've played a 7vwh with Evos before, so I'm pretty familiar with the sound they pump out, but I'm not as familiar with the Breeds or Blazes...

Thanks!
Chris

#3 ·
Evo's are bright and hot.

Breeds are fat, like an "updated" PAF type tone. Not really a distortion-class pickup, but they have good harmonics anyway.

Blazes are 7 string humbuckers, designed when Vai was using the PAF-Pro in his guitars. I find the neck model to be similar to the PAF-Pro, while the bridge pickup inspired the Steve's Special.

#6 ·
Breeds are fat, like an "updated" PAF type tone. Not really a distortion-class pickup, .
:lol: Please!

I've played Evos for years. When I got my Bad Horise with the breeds I was welcomed to a whole new world. I prefer the Breeds over the Evos BIG TIME!

Tone and sustain are unreal. 8O Maybe it's just the rig you're playing through, but my Brmr's tone rules all over the Vwh and Vsbl that I have. Again, maybe its just the rig, but I have to kindly disagree with ya good sir;)

~PHAT, Crunchy, space age~ More versatlie and good for ANY type of music including Metal! (especially)

To me at least, Breeds are the best of the EVO's and the PAF's all thrown into the same pot. (or pup in this case:) )

Hmmm.....there must be a reason why Breed's come on the latest production (05 to current) Jems rater than Evos ;) (other than the vwh)

~BREEDS RULE~ Try um and see for yourself, MM;)

I can't comment on the Blaze as I do not play 7's.

#4 ·
The Evos are very bright, lots of treble and high mids.

The Breed bridge is still quite crunchy, but has pleanty of midrange, and isnt as piercing as the evo.

The Blaze is a scooped pickup where the treble is quite pronounced, and the mids are cut back. Its great for keeping the low B from getting muddy, but i didnt like it for leads or soloing.

#5 ·
The Evo's are great when you need to cut through in a live situation as there's a whole lot of presence in them. I find the Evo's to be great for lead but not as meaty as I would like for a hard rock/metal rhythm tone.

The Breed's are beafier sounding with more 'umph' and chug than the Evo. Good lead and rhythm pickup.

The Blaze neck is a great pickup for both bridge and neck positions. The bridge I wasn't too fond of. It's nice and clean sounding as the mids are cut back and works great to keep the low B from getting into the mud, but I'm with AirGuitar as I don't like it too much for leads. (I'm not a fan of the Steve's Special either as I like mids in my tone).

Are you looking for a 6 string or 7 string pickup?

#7 ·
Not sure how one can say they are BETTER than the others. I am using both and they sure are different. I personally like my 550's with Breeds neck and bridge better than the evo's in my Jems. They are not as shrill, more fat, more suitable for a whole range of different styles, but not better. Different. I'd always go with breeds.

#13 ·
Very interesting discussion... I'm thinking about customize my dear 1998 S270, which I find very comfortable and well built for a cheap korean axe; I'm looking for DiMarzios, and since the S has a slim mahogany body, what pup for bridge and neck you suggest for playing hard rock to classic heavy?

#15 ·
Thanks for the info, guys! I've gotta try out something with breeds at some point. And I've always kind of wanted to try out a seven string, just to see how it feels and what I could do with it...how weird is it going to a seven string after playing on a six for so long?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.