Bridge humbucker recommendation for rg2550 tuned to B standard - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Bridge humbucker recommendation for rg2550 tuned to B standard

My Rg2550vbb is tuned to B standard with d'addario 13-62 strings. I have a Jon Baxter PAF in the neck (I recieved a set of these in a trade) and a Duncan Distortion Trembucker in the bridge.

The problem is that currently, the Duncan lacks low-mids and is mushy. A lot of people say that changing the pots from 500k to 250k would cut down on some of the highs, but I don't want to keep taking my guitar to the tech (I can't solder to save my life) after I figure out that I don't like the Duncan with 250k either. However, if any of you can vouch for 250k pots and Ibanez Rg's, please let me know as I like to not spend more money than I have to.

I'm a bedroom player. I play metal rhythm (not modern metal), btw. Amp is a Peavey xxx (e34l's) 2x12 with an extension cab with v30's (which are definitely the source of some if not a lot of my tone problems, and will be replaced with Eminence v12's before I do anything to my pickups). Also have an MXR 10 band EQ.

Here's what I'm thinking for new pickups:

D Sonic
BG Hellarail (love my Hellabucker)
Duncan Parallel Axis Distortion

Anything to add?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 04:33 AM

Re: Bridge humbucker recommendation for rg2550 tuned to B standard

I have D-Activators and D-Activator X's in two guitars (basswood, alder) tuned to C standard and they're brilliant. I disconnected the tone pots, however, and kept the stock 500K volume pots.

The D-Sonic should work out for you too because I used to have a JP6 tuned to C earlier.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Hmmmmmm....Dominion might be a good choice.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 09:26 AM
rgr

Wow, the Duncan Distortion has pretty tight low end already, but does have some sizzle on top.

I would suggest a Super 3, very tight lows, lots of drive in the mids, and rolled off highs. I started to suggest the D-Activators, but they still might have too much high end for you(?).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr View Post
Wow, the Duncan Distortion has pretty tight low end already, but does have some sizzle on top.

I would suggest a Super 3, very tight lows, lots of drive in the mids, and rolled off highs. I started to suggest the D-Activators, but they still might have too much high end for you(?).
I bought the distortion after hearing it used with a low tuned guitar in a demo video on the Duncan site. I liked it because on the demo it sounded like tone, not just gain (I'm starting to think that I don't want a super-high gain pickup for low tuning).

I guess it didn't occur to me that the guitar they used was mahogany neck-thru with a fixed bridge. When used with a prestige Ibanez the distortion has a 'sizzle' in the top and bottom, if that makes sense.

I had a super 3 years ago but I was stupid enough to put it in a LP copy. It was mids mids followed by more mids.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

More mids!......I mean cowbell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4vl View Post
I bought the distortion after hearing it used with a low tuned guitar in a demo video on the Duncan site. I liked it because on the demo it sounded like tone, not just gain (I'm starting to think that I don't want a super-high gain pickup for low tuning).

I guess it didn't occur to me that the guitar they used was mahogany neck-thru with a fixed bridge. When used with a prestige Ibanez the distortion has a 'sizzle' in the top and bottom, if that makes sense.

I had a super 3 years ago but I was stupid enough to put it in a LP copy. It was mids mids followed by more mids.

Tags
ibanez prestige , satan , trembucker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode