Can I say....Dimebucker ? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Can I say....Dimebucker ?

Hey guys, now being the Pantera fan that I am and the fact that I have a new RG370DX, I'm asking myself the question that many of you have been faced with: I'd like to upgrade this axe by changing the pickups but which one do I get ? Arrrgghhh !! I love Dimebag's chainsaw distortion (doesnt everybody ?) but then again I love John Petrucci's tones ! So here's my situation....for almost the same price I can get the Dimarzio Air Norton AND Steve's Special (Petrucci's combo) or I can just get the Duncan Dimebucker. Bearing in mind that the bridge pickup at this point is still the most important as I'm still very much an amatuer, what do you guys suggest ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 12:42 AM

If *I* was in your situation, I'd save up and go for an Air Norton and a Dimebucker. Petrucci's neck pickup tone kicks ass, and the Dimebucker just rules.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Yeah Avenger that sounds like the best option, hopefully if I can save up enough, but then again, I've heard many players talk about compatibility when it comes to pickups....so in these case are the Dimebucker and the Air Noron compatible and can I use the Dimebucker in the bridge considering that some people have told me that it has so much gain that its better in the neck ?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 12:08 PM

That is incorrect advice. If a pickup is high gain it is NOT suitable for the neck position (traditionally) because the in the neck location, the string is "louder" because the vibrational pattern is larger.

In my opinion, Dimebag is a sellout when it comes to gear. He swore by his Dean guitars, and then had Washburn make and sell "Dean copies" Dean was out of business at the time so I guess it's okay, but then he also swore by the Bill Lawrence pickups until he had Duncan copy it. He sells wahs, and other things, too. I don't want anyone to argue with me on that because this is a pickup forum and I'm only saying it to illustrate this point. In my opinion it is overpriced so he can make his money. He is a paid endorser now, and gets either a percentage of each sale or a lump sum with bonuses at sales breaking points. Unfortunately, this creates a situation EXACTLY like yours! You could replace BOTH of those crappy RG pickups with quality products for the same cost as one which pays him his royalty. By the way, I don't mean he's evil for doing so, either. If I could profit from my name and put out a good product I'd probably do it, too. The Dimebucker is a quality product. But my recommendation is to outfit your guitar with 2 new pickups. It gives you more for your money, and the "appropriate" people are profiting: The pickup makers.

The Steve's special won't sound like the Dimebucker, but it will be a quality sound that you will like. Plus, most of that chainsaw sound is at the preamp/fuzztone level. So in my opinion, you'll find it much easier to simulate Dimebag's sound with the Steve's Special, than to simulate Petrucci's sound with the Dimebucker.

Sorry about the huge rant when you just wanted some pickup advice, but I think I've helped put things in perspective. Also, if you can afford both, they are perfectly compatible. You can almost always mix passive pickup brands with no problems. Whether you'll like how they compliment eachother is an individual thing, but they will operate fine. Another great compromise would be to find a new or used Bill Lawrence. Most of what you're hearing was recorded with that pickup, not the Dimebucker!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Frank,thanks so much because you've helped me come to an important decision. Now I think the best idea is to get the Air Norton and the Steve's Special. Hopefully I'll order them soon and I'll be rigged and ready to rumble ! I also understand about Dime and his endorsement thing. I might love his music with a passion but I also have a strong sense of economics ( bearing in mind that I'm still a student and that I have to get the best possible value with my limited income). Thanks again and if you have any more advice about a combo of pickups that you think would elevate my sound, please let me know.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 12:33 AM

Frank is correctly leading you here man...I work at a place that sells and installs Duncan stuff, and a big misconception these kids come in with is that the Dime is gonna make them have that sound. It's actually not that loud of a pickup compared to alot of others Duncan makes. So, these kids get them, and get home and find they kinda have the same sound with a bit of brightness thrown in. Dimebag's tone comes more from preamp gain and the fact that he's running 300 watt solid state heads through cabinets loaded with both 12's and lower cabs with 15's for speakers. He pumps alot of treble and alot of bass and just adds a midrange until he hears his chunk.

I have a MMJP and an old Ibanez JPM. They both will easily get you close to the sound you want if you have a nice solid state distortion sound. Hell, I can do it with an Fender Ultimate Chorus amp...it works great and you have the versatility of John's setup, as well as Dime's basic tone if you just kick in a little treble.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 01:49 AM

I much preferr the Tone Zone and the Air Norton rather than the Steven's special.

Just my 2 cents worth.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 10:00 PM

I never really like Dimebag's tone. It always sounded thin to me. Anyway, you'll find that the right amp/settings/effects are much more important in finding the tone you're looking for than pickups. Pickups are more for fine-tuning/completeing a rig that you're already happy with.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 04:15 PM

Well, if you still are interested, the TRUE lawrences are being sold here http://www.billlawrence.com. The website is not as slick as duncan's, but who cares..I have a 500XL, it's perfect for crushing metal, but also classic rock, country, whatever. The dimebucker is a one trick pony i think, this one's not! Also, $48 a piece......so you can get that air norton as well i guess...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 12:28 AM

Glad I could help. A friend of mine got some Lawrence single coils direct and he likes them a lot. More importantly his experience dealing with them was great. I think the 500XL at that price is just as good a choice as the Dimarzio as far as quality. It's a great pickup. You'll still have to weigh the tone difference out for yourself, though. I still think it's easier to get a Dimebag sound from the Dimarzio than a Petrucci sound from a Dimebucker or a Lawrence.

As a sidenote, thanks to soulnoize for the link, and I would take the Lawrence over the Dimebucker all day. Lots of other players have used Lawrence humbuckers over time, with good results. I wouldn't spend over twice the money when I could have what I consider to be the "real thing."
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
That is incorrect advice. If a pickup is high gain it is NOT suitable for the neck position (traditionally) because the in the neck location, the string is "louder" because the vibrational pattern is larger.
You think the Air Norton is high gain?! Petrucci gets the best cleans out of that pickup as well as distortion!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMavenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
You think the Air Norton is high gain?! Petrucci gets the best cleans out of that pickup as well as distortion!
I believe he was refering to this:

Quote:
can I use the Dimebucker in the bridge considering that some people have told me that it has so much gain that its better in the neck ?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 04:08 AM

yeah he's saying putting a higher output or high gainy pickup in the neck (such as the dime) is a bad idea. Putting an Air Norton in the neck is FAR from bad my friend.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 10:59 AM

Yeah, that's right. I was directly coming off the last statement in M.P.'s post.

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , dimarzio air , dimarzio air norton , ibanez jpm , john petrucci , neck pickup , neck pickup tone , neck position , preamp gain , solid state head , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode