Can you help me complete my diagram? (Push Pull volume pot Coil tap HH) - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Red face Can you help me complete my diagram? (Push Pull volume pot Coil tap HH)

Hello Everyone.

I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable gentlemen could help me complete my wiring diagram? I currently have my guitar wired exactly like this;

Please notice that it has a 2502w (3PS1SC5) Ibanez 5 way switch wired to a Crunch Lab and a Liquifire humbucker pickups

What I want to get is different coil split combinations using the "pull" position on a Push Pull Volume Pot; I donīt really care if I get humbucking or not I just want to explore more tonal possibilities with my new dimarzios, Iīm a big fan of clean sounds.

After a lot of research iīve found out a couple of things;

Itīs not possible to wire in parallel both humbuckers using only one push-pull switch and I can only use the volume pot since my guitar is a S520EX and a push pull wonīt fit on the tone pot, however I know that it is possible to coil split both humbuckers using only one push pull pot, thatīs what I want.

I understand that some of the 5 way switch positions might do nothing or might even mute the sound? That would be ok though, if I can get a few coil split possibilities, like on positions 1, 3 and 5 thatīs fine with me, actually any combination of single coil splits would be fine Iīm not picky.

So there it is, any help would be greatly appreciated, what I basically want is to complete mi diagram and know exactly how to wire the push pull switch, which cable goes where, maybe a diagram drawn in Ms Paint would be too much asking? because even though Iīve been thoroughly researching, I just donīt understand how it works at all, I canīt seem to be able to reason it (Iīm a lawyer, go figure.)

Thank you so much in advance, happy playing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Re: Can you help me complete my diagram? (Push Pull volume pot Coil tap HH)

So now I am sitting here in front of my guitar and I'm looking at a ground cable that is actually connected to the bridge of my guitar on one end but on the other it's actually bare not connected to anything, where does this cable go to? Please help!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

All right guys so here's an update; after wiring everything according to the diagram that I posted in the first post now I plug my guitar and I can hear a really loud buzz/hum coming From the amp, I touched the coils on the pickups and the interesting thing is that on each and every one of the 5 switch positions I seem to get output from the blade coil on the bridge pickup, interesting enough when I touch one of the screws on the pickup selector the hum seems to go away it's like I'm grounding everything with my fingers.

I deeply and honestly thank you in advance for any information provided.

Rock on guys.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 11:23 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

you might want to review the JS1000 & 100 diagram
http://www2.ibanez.com/supportResour...ing/W96024.gif
http://www2.ibanez.com/supportResour...ing/W96025.gif

for the coil-split on 2-humbuckers. make sure you have the grounds correct to the trem spring claw
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

I really appreciate the reply, sadly none of those two diagrams apply for mi case because my switch is a 5 Way 8 Pole Ibanez 3PS1SC5 (2502W).

Any further help would be enormously appreciated, thank you very much.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 12:55 PM
site founder 0% owner

The diagram (tone knob) shows the pull switch how it creates the coil-split with the two humbuckers (bottom two lugs, etc.). The 5-way and all else is unchanged.

That would coil split positions 1/3/5 (pull up to split, if it's on). If it's too comples you can always call Dimarzio and have them provide instructions for wiring the push/pull coil split for those positions (when both coils of the humbuckers are on).
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 02:05 PM

If I remember correctly-

Ibanez has a special 5-way switch for two humbucker guitars.
The RG7620 uses the switch I’m referring to.

Adding a coil tap to any setup is easy.
Run a ground to the push / pull pot and then to the black and white wires, if your using a Dimarzio 4+1 conductor pickup.
(That’s if the black and white wires are soldered together or on the same spot on the switch.)
If the black and white wires are not together, you’ll need to see which one you want grounded out by touching the ground wire to the back and then the white wires to see what effect you want or like better.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
The diagram (tone knob) shows the pull switch how it creates the coil-split with the two humbuckers (bottom two lugs, etc.). The 5-way and all else is unchanged.

That would coil split positions 1/3/5 (pull up to split, if it's on). If it's too comples you can always call Dimarzio and have them provide instructions for wiring the push/pull coil split for those positions (when both coils of the humbuckers are on).
Thank you.

Ok so analyzing this diagram what I basically have to do is:

1.- solder both black and white cables from the neck pickup and solder them to the volume push pull pot exactly like in the tone pot of the diagram.

2.- unsolder the black and white cables from the 5 way switch and solder them to the volume pot instead.

3.-solder the left middle pin of the push pull to the body of the pot.

4.-solder the right middle pin of the push pull to the body of the pot.

I will try to do exactly that and comeback with the results, thank you very much for your kind attention.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
If I remember correctly-

Ibanez has a special 5-way switch for two humbucker guitars.
The RG7620 uses the switch I’m referring to.

Adding a coil tap to any setup is easy.
Run a ground to the push / pull pot and then to the black and white wires, if your using a Dimarzio 4+1 conductor pickup.
(That’s if the black and white wires are soldered together or on the same spot on the switch.)
If the black and white wires are not together, you’ll need to see which one you want grounded out by touching the ground wire to the back and then the white wires to see what effect you want or like better.
Thank you Sebastian, I'm pretty sure it is the same switch.

I beg you to specify much more clearly what you mean, remember I'm a complete newbie; what do you mean "run a ground to the push pull pot"?

Yes according to the new diagram based on the JS guitar the black and white wires are both goin to run together.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:44 AM

If you are using a 5 way switch, the JS diagram won't work for you.

Get the 5 way switch working correctly before you add in the wires for the coil tap.
Then let me know how you have the switch wired and I'll tell you how to add in the coil tap wires.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:54 AM
site founder 0% owner

what Sebastian said is ideal in that get the 5-way working fine (as per the first diagram you posted). then do the taps. But really it's moot since you want the taps and it's easy to go back to the RGT42 wiring.

Remember the 5-way (or 3-way it's moot) just sends signal to the volume switch (and thus coil-splitter).
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you are using a 5 way switch, the JS diagram won't work for you.

Get the 5 way switch working correctly before you add in the wires for the coil tap.
Then let me know how you have the switch wired and I'll tell you how to add in the coil tap wires.
Thank you. So here's the thing; I wired everything exactly like the original diagram I posted says (RGT42) but ignoring the bottom 6 pins of the volume pot which means I'm only using the top three and the body of the pot and here's what happens;

When I plug my guitar to the amp I get a VERY loud buzz/hum even on the clean channel; this is true in all 5 positions of the switch, then if I move or try to push the cable further into the plug the hum kind of goes away but I get a very very quiet output to the amp, almost inaudible but the output is actually there.

I checked to se if I have some loose cables coming from the plug but everything seems to be in place, maybe I got them reversed? I can see that there are two cables coming from the plug and maybe those are reversed?

One last thing; I did plug the cable that comes grounded to the back of the tremolo to the first volume pot.

Any further help would be kindly appreciated.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 06:13 AM

If you look at the jack, the outer leg is the ground.
The inner leg is the hot.

The trem, and both pots need a ground wire attached to them.
The pots have a ground wire attached to the flat bottom or side of them.
The trem has a ground attached to the claw by the springs.
Sometimes a switch will have a ground on the side of it or on a leg, depending on the wiring setup.

If your jack worked before, it's probable okay.

If you get really stuck, hook up only the bridge pickup and see if you can get it sound right before you add in other pups.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Update:

While searching the internet I came across the story of some guy who wired two dimarzio humbuckers exactly like mine to his S420 with a positive outcome, he was kind enough to post his diagram and whatīs interesting is that the red and green cables are reversed compared to my diagram;

Also the black and white cables on the neck pickup seem to be reversed.

I will definitely try to wire it this way and see if the buzz goes away, but can someone be kind enough to explain to me whatīs the difference? All I could find regarding colors is that, in the case of dimarzio, RED=North Start=Hot GREEN=South Start=Goes to ground along with the bare cable.

If thatīs the case then why did this guy wire his guitar with the red and green cables reversed? Should I even try this?

Thanks in advance for your kind guidance.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If your jack worked before, it's probable okay.
Thank you good sir, it was working perfectly with the 3 way switch, so Iīm pretty sure itīs fine.

Came across more interesting information on the internet, please take a look at this diagram;

Whatīs interesting about it is that, if you take a close look at the jack (which by the way has three legs, two large ones and a short one) the cable that goes to the middle pin of the volume pot is coming from the short leg of the jack! But on my diagram itīs coming from one of the large ones and the short one is not used... Should I try this too? What would be the difference? Why does the jack have three legs?

Thank you for your help!

Tags
coil tap push pull hh , dimarzio , push pull

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode