changing p/ups in a LP supreme - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Question changing p/ups in a LP supreme

Hi all
As well as having a "few" Ibanez's, I'm also a Les Paul fan.
So my problem is I've got a JB and 59 I want to install in a new supreme, but the wires are going to be way to short to install due to the Supreme's lack of rear cavity access
(and these Seymour's coming out of a Jem).
Has anyone come accross this problem before and come up with a simple solution?
I'm thinking of cutting the the Gibson p/u wires inside each P/U cavity and splicing them in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 10:22 PM

Re: changing p/ups in a LP supreme

just extend the wiring to the pickups. go to radio shack and grab a couple spools of wire. less than $10 for a small spool of red and black. get some heat shrink, too. if that's too expensive, use electrical tape. don't screw up 2 sets of pickups just due to skimping. i mean, it IS a les paul supreme. keep the pickup length as long as possible, just in case you don't like the sound of the duncans(can't imagine why, but it happens). just food for thought.

rich
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rich, I should have been more specific but I had had a "couple" before I posted
I just wasn't sure you could extend the pickup wires, as I've heard some electrical components behave differently when there's joins between points.
So there's no problem with sheilding or ohms etc with just using generic "Radio shack" wire?

The main reasons I was considering utilising the Gibson P/U wires are:
the P/ups for supremes have extra long wires to allow all the soldering to be done outside the guitar, so it wouldn't be shortening them too much--and
probably more so---
I'm not looking foward to removing all the pots through the jack to gain access!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 05:18 AM

I'm thinking you should just keep the Gibson pickups in
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 07:43 AM

Reviews: 6

Could you post some pictures ? Those Supremes sure are tasty looking
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scali View Post
I'm thinking you should just keep the Gibson pickups in
The main reason I wanted to change is the bridge p/u sounded thin, but I noticed last night when I turned the volume right down, I could still slightly hear it.
Gremlins me thinks
So I pulled the jack and pulled the wires through.
One of those little plastic connectors wasn't making a good contact and BAM, we now have grunt!

I still like the idea of trying the s/d's though as I've read/been told so often that the JB/59 are the choice for L/P's
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 04:38 PM

Well I disagree... It has 490R and 498T pickups right? My Les Paul has those aswell, and they give me the perfect Les Paul sound.
I don't see why I would want to toy about with Seymour Duncans or DiMarzios when they're in essense just ripoffs of the real thing.
I find that the Gibsons just sound a bit fuller and warmer than other 'hot rodded' PAF pickups.
I also have a guitar with 496R and 500T, and those are even more amazing in my opinion. They combine the punch and bite of high output ceramic pickups with the classic warm and fat Gibson tone. Not screechy, thin or anything.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 05:19 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scali View Post
Well I disagree... It has 490R and 498T pickups right? My Les Paul has those aswell, and they give me the perfect Les Paul sound.
I don't see why I would want to toy about with Seymour Duncans or DiMarzios when they're in essense just ripoffs of the real thing.
I find that the Gibsons just sound a bit fuller and warmer than other 'hot rodded' PAF pickups.
I also have a guitar with 496R and 500T, and those are even more amazing in my opinion. They combine the punch and bite of high output ceramic pickups with the classic warm and fat Gibson tone. Not screechy, thin or anything.

Yup, i love my 490R/498T combo. It's crazy how many classic tones it gets, while being really heavy when you crank up the gain and really mellow on a clean channel. I was really taken by surprise when i tried these pick-ups in a Les Paul. Which explains why i then bought it . Anyways, it's your call mate, but i play a little bit of everything and my Les Paul has become that type of guitar. The one il use for a little bit of everything!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts guys and I know exactly what you're talking about regarding tone etc, but I already have a couple of L/P's that have the 490r/498t combo'. The supreme is the only one of these I'm prepared to fiddle with, so this will be the test mule.

Tags
les paul , seymour duncan , seymour duncans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode