Changing RG550 stock pups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Changing RG550 stock pups

Hello guys, I've just bought an RG550 20th Annivesary with stock pup's which are kinda weak and right now I'm doing a research to change them. My inspiration is mainly stuff like all of DT till ToT, all of Symphony X in 90's, Malmsteen and new generation prog metal like Circus Maximus or Seventh Wonder. However I'd still like my guitar to be enough versatile to play things like classic heavy metal and a bit of blues/hard rock, so I thought about such pup set (I'd like to avoid choosing an Air Norton for neck). And I'm not sure will this set have enough mid to recompensate for SS in bridge:

Bridge - Steve Special
Middle - Blue Velvet
Neck - Breed Neck

any suggestions is this gonna work?

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 07:54 AM

Re: Changing RG550 stock pups

I had a Breed in the neck of my jem505 with a evo in the bridge and found the breed to muddy...i switched it for a neck evo. Maybe you could split humbuckers.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:06 AM

The Steve Special has all the Mids sucked out, not a good all around pickup.

The Breed neck is nothing special.

A good all around neck pickup is the PAF Pro, 2nd choice is EVO neck.

A good all around Bridge pickup, hummm, EVO2, 2nd choice is AT-1
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 09:10 PM

So... here' s a video of Rob Balducci playing a custom S series with a Steve's Special in the bridge and a Breed in the neck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORr2gFajSBM&feature=plcp
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 10:11 PM

Reviews: 1

I really like the combo I have in my 770. FRED - bridge, IBZ/USA C2 - middle, Evolution - neck. I can get rock to metal with the FRED with added bonus of really pronounced harmonics. The Evolution in the neck is very clear sounding in the neck and has a higher bottom end in the neck position. Really pounds the speakers for the metal type chugging. I like the C2 middle because it is a hum-cancelling stacked single. Only single I've had that doesn't buzz. Even my '02 JEM is noisey on switch positions 2-3-4 and I know the electronics have never been touched.

Tags
rg550 prog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode