choosing between 3 Dimarzios? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

choosing between 3 Dimarzios?

Ok guys, If you have a Blaze 7, D-sonic 7, or D-activator 7. Or have tried all of them. Which do you prefer for a real tight low end crunch? Seems to me that all of them have a tight low end to them. So besides the scooped out mids in the Blaze what's the difference? I know that there have been tons of threads about pickups in basswood bodies but it seems to me like the only consensus is that an AN-7 is good for the neck. The bridge position seems to be a bit more undecided. I guess Im looking for someone to convince me of one of these over the other two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 09:10 PM

Reviews: 12
Re: choosing between 3 Dimarzios?

K... I'll be speaking from my experience between a Blaze7, a D-Activator7, and a regular D-Sonic; not necessarily to convince but to educate their tonal differences.
Out of the 3, the D-Sonic's easily has more thump and growl for that "tight low end crunch". However, it's probably too bassy to play thrash riffs.
D-Activator7's are technically the opposite of the D-Sonic; they're brighter while the tone of the strings are amplified rather than the pickup's tone being amplified producing a crunch that's EMG-like. They definitely have a tighter crunch than a D-Sonic, but not as thumpy. Both have a "modern" voicing to it which may or may not be a deal breaker.
And of course, the Blaze7 is the pickup tone used by many players who've kept their UV's stock, not as "hot" but articulate voicing I personally like the D-Sonic as it's a versatile hi-gain and clean bridge pickup. Someone posted a clip of a DS7 before and it sounded sick...

Reg

Last edited by reguv760; 02-22-2008 at 09:25 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 09:51 PM

Depends on how noisy your rig, or home's wiring is. The D-Sonic 7 is a noisy little pickup, but the tone is great for clear metal riffing.

You might want to hop on over to sevenstring.org and read up a bit there. Pretty much every 7 string pickup has been discussed over there, though the SD Blackouts have made a big splash as of late.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 05:10 PM

Between the three, it really depends on what kind of stuff you plan on playing. The Blaze 7 I find to be the best if you do a lot of lead playing, but if you like to do more riffage, then the D-Sonic 7 or D-Activator 7 is the way to go. Probably the best description of the difference between the D-Sonic-7 and the D-Activator-7 is that the D-Sonic 7 is good if you want to play metal, but if you want HEAVY metal, then you'd want the D-Activator 7.

(If you want to give actives a try, I personally like the EMG 707 or EMG-81-7 with the 18v mod)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 11:58 AM

x2n-7
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:08 PM

D-Activator. Those pickups have a lot of high end, so if it's a little too much treble for your tastes, then try a 250 volume pot. That should do the trick and should sound fantastic in a Basswood bodied guitar: tight lows and a lot of punch.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGuitarCA View Post
D-Activator. Those pickups have a lot of high end, so if it's a little too much treble for your tastes, then try a 250 volume pot. That should do the trick and should sound fantastic in a Basswood bodied guitar..
damn i assume this guy is playing a 7 string cuz he wants to shred

do u now??

a 250k pot on a high gain pickup tottaly goes against the concept..

u want a high gain responsive, tonal pickup, that functions properly...well, you going to be reducing ur responce, and ur dunamic with a lower pot value every time u go lower

id say use a 1 meg volume and a 500k tone with a .044 cap on the tone

rule of thumb with high gain pickups, use a higher volume pot then a tone or it kills the dunamics of the pickup completely!!!!!

but if u want a over the top thrill chimer us a d activator, i like the x2n its a more solid compressed signal that have awesome dynamics for pick responce and playing responce

Tags
basswood bodies , bridge pickup , bridge position , heavy metal , string pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode