Choosing new pickups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Choosing new pickups

I've been looking at different forums and videos to find the right pickups for me. I play progressive/metalcore/hardcore stuff like that and was looking at either some EMG 81/85..Seymour Duncan SH-6 or some Bare Knuckle Aftermath pickups but can't decide

Thoughts and suggestions anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 AM

Re: Choosing new pickups

I have the 81/85 set,
clear, loud, harsh, unforgiving, accurate, metal, aggressive.

Dunno about the others but I have heard they are good too.

Do you want robot wars or howling at the moon ?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

some of the guitarist I listen to have the 81/85 set..like Adam D from Killswitch.Which is why they are on my list,but also heard the Seymour Duncan Blackouts were suppose to be similar.

Not too sure about what you mean on that last question
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 02:27 PM

Do you want robot wars or howling at the moon ?

This was a mood sort of thing, the EMG's more than any other pickup remind me of modern technology, stress, the general state of anxiety and anger thats common in cities. If you want songs about anger and fighting it gives them an edge.

The Aftermath is a passive pickup, the review says
The Aftermath neck humbucker is Alnico V powered and voiced for fat, powerful clean tones, fluid vocal-like sustain when driven hard and good balance with the bridge humbucker.

So its smoother, good cleans so if you want to play without aggression and distortion it will sound more natural and organic. Much better for songs about being in a forest at night.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Ahh okay. well there's also a thing of going passive or active for me. I wanted to do passive due to the added work in fitting a battery in my guitar, well actually figuring out how to do it. I suppose I want a little of both organic nice clean tones but a good distortion. Great mids and a tight low end, not too muddy or gross. very good pick attack
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 06:27 PM

I would avoid the Duncan Distortion TB or SH-6. It's beyond trebly.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 08:53 PM

I would go to a local music store and Give a guitar similar to your own with active pickups in a blast through your own setup. If you like what you hear you can think about EMG/Duncan.

If you find them a little sterile, there are ways to get the best of both worlds. De-activators with an onboard gain boost will get you between both worlds. Personally I'm itching to try this with a De-activator bridge and a Tone Zone in the neck, both wired to a 500k volume, and an EMG Afterburner.

If you choose to go the traditional passive route there a LOT more options open to you, and I would recommend above all else, experimenting, and tweaking till you get exactly what you're looking for.

I think the most important thing is to understand your own playing, and go with whatever works best for you, not the person you're listening too. You might love metal, but also love jazz, and wind up with a guitar fantastically equipped for one, and hideously overpowered for the other. Sometimes a pragmatic attitude is more realistic, going for a sound that covers ALL of your basses and opens up your playing rather than covering one, and closing your playing up.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

I think I want to go with the Bare Knuckle Aftermaths eventually because I love the way they sound. but its about $300 for a calibrated set. So for the time being was thinking something a bit cheaper to get the sound that I want or close to it. My stock INFs aren't doing so well in that department.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:29 PM

Calibrated?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

" A calibrated set of humbuckers(or single coils for that matter) are pickups wound to optimise tone and output for their respective position, ie bridge and neck humbuckers are wound differently and often feature different magnets too. The strings move alot more over the neck pickup and generate more current so neck pickups are often wound to have a lower output in comparison to a bridge in order to achieve better clarity and balance between the pair. The best way to think of a calibrated set is as a matched pair"

so says Bare Knuckle Pickups.

I checked out the Dimarzio pickups and I really like them.so for me now its gonna be either the EMG81/85
D Activator or Tone Zone in the Bridge with a Liqifire neck

Tags
pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode