Clueless about pickups but don't like my current one - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

6Likes
  • 1 Post By IbaNose
  • 1 Post By LACS-plus
  • 1 Post By sepulchrave
  • 1 Post By IbaNose
  • 1 Post By IbaNose
  • 1 Post By karlic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Clueless about pickups but don't like my current one

It's the neck pickup in an Premium S Series 970. The pickup is a CAP-CL humbucker. Previous owner already replaced the bridge p/u with a Seymour Duncan JB which I like.

It's really hard to figure out what to put in the neck. YouTube videos are full of different amps, different effects so you never know what it will sound like in your rig. Seymour Duncan does have samples you can play and so far I like their "The Saturday Night Special".

Anyway, I don't know if I need, two wire, four wire, hot, cold, vintage, modern, etc.

I play rhythm and lead Pink Floyd style along with blues and rock. Has anyone a neck humbucker that they really like for these genres? I find the stock p/u too bright and not enough meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 03:57 PM

Re: Clueless about pickups but don't like my current one

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbaNose View Post
It's the neck pickup in an Premium S Series 970. The pickup is a CAP-CL humbucker. Previous owner already replaced the bridge p/u with a Seymour Duncan JB which I like.

It's really hard to figure out what to put in the neck. YouTube videos are full of different amps, different effects so you never know what it will sound like in your rig. Seymour Duncan does have samples you can play and so far I like their "The Saturday Night Special".

Anyway, I don't know if I need, two wire, four wire, hot, cold, vintage, modern, etc.

I play rhythm and lead Pink Floyd style along with blues and rock. Has anyone a neck humbucker that they really like for these genres? I find the stock p/u too bright and not enough meat.

Hmm... hard to say. The new S Premiums come with a DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck position (Tone Zone bridge)... it's a great sounding neck pickup. Otherwise I've seen the Duncan Jazz pickup in the neck position paired with a JB in the bridge, one of the best selling combos of all time. Just a couple of suggestions. Duncan '59 neck is very versatile and more "classic rock" sounding too, not too bright.

My old Roadstar II frankenstrat has a JB in the bridge and two single coil sized Hot Stacks in the middle and neck positions... sounds great! They were stock pickups out of a Jackson Soloist.

Last edited by FireEagle; 05-18-2018 at 04:01 PM. Reason: added info
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Hmm... hard to say. The new S Premiums come with a DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck position (Tone Zone bridge)... it's a great sounding neck pickup. Otherwise I've seen the Duncan Jazz pickup in the neck position paired with a JB in the bridge, one of the best selling combos of all time. Just a couple of suggestions. Duncan '59 neck is very versatile and more "classic rock" sounding too, not too bright.

My old Roadstar II frankenstrat has a JB in the bridge and two single coil sized Hot Stacks in the middle and neck positions... sounds great! They were stock pickups out of a Jackson Soloist.
Air Norton? That a pickup or a running shoe? I have the '59 in the neck of one of my Strats and yeah, it sounds great in the Strat. I'll have to checkout the Jazz pickup too. Hot Stacks? Again, pancakes or pickups? Who makes the Hot Stacks (other than IHOP)?

Thanks!
FireEagle likes this.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 07:18 AM

Jazz is a great neck pickup
look for a used one on ebay they will run ~$50
IbaNose likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:

I have the Jazz in most of my Duncan equipped guitars but my brother has the '59, frankly there is nothing really to choose between them, the Jazz has a fractionally lower DCR. Either will work really well with the JB.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
I have the Jazz in most of my Duncan equipped guitars but my brother has the '59, frankly there is nothing really to choose between them, the Jazz has a fractionally lower DCR. Either will work really well with the JB.
Listening to the two, I'm leaning towards the '59.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Listening to the two, I'm leaning towards the '59.
Obviously a pickup made from Mahogany will be darker sounding than a Maple pickup, Ebony pickups are the best for guitars made from light timbers like Basswood, on the other hand if you have a Rosewood fretboard you probably want a locknut made from Brass and a tremolo block made from Titanium to redress the Light/Dark balance. Stainless frets on a Maple fretboard are right out of the question.
FireEagle likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Obviously a pickup made from Mahogany will be darker sounding than a Maple pickup, Ebony pickups are the best for guitars made from light timbers like Basswood, on the other hand if you have a Rosewood fretboard you probably want a locknut made from Brass and a tremolo block made from Titanium to redress the Light/Dark balance. Stainless frets on a Maple fretboard are right out of the question.
Yeah but I need something that complements the tonewood of the wood floors in my house.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Yeah but I need something that complements the tonewood of the wood floors in my house.

Don't forget to compensate for your drywall... and light colored paint absorbs more sound than dark colored paint. Do yourself a favor and just lace up your Air Nortons, put on some Jazz, and enjoy your Hot Stacks with Maple! I should have known where this thread was going from the initial Pink Floyd reference... I spent quite some time yesterday jamming over a couple of Floyd style backing tracks on a nice rainy Sunday.

Oh yeah, you mentioned about 3 or 4 wire pickups. If you use 4-wire pickups you have more wiring options with coil splitting or tapping, etc...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Don't forget to compensate for your drywall... and light colored paint absorbs more sound than dark colored paint. Do yourself a favor and just lace up your Air Nortons, put on some Jazz, and enjoy your Hot Stacks with Maple! I should have known where this thread was going from the initial Pink Floyd reference... I spent quite some time yesterday jamming over a couple of Floyd style backing tracks on a nice rainy Sunday.

Oh yeah, you mentioned about 3 or 4 wire pickups. If you use 4-wire pickups you have more wiring options with coil splitting or tapping, etc...
Lol, good to know.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

More less decided on the '59. It sounds great in my Strat. Should sound equally good in the Ibanez.
FireEagle likes this.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:17 PM

I would recommend Bareknuckle pickups. They have a lot quality pickups with voicings ranging from vintage to modern metal.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega139 View Post
I would recommend Bareknuckle pickups. They have a lot quality pickups with voicings ranging from vintage to modern metal.
Yup, heard good things about them. I've already bought the Seymour Duncan '59 for this one though.
sepulchrave likes this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 05:42 PM

Pickups are really subjective, try to watch as many video reviews as possible before making a decision. Even if you end up wanting to change it laster it isn't too terribly hard. Regarding the cunductor wires, you really only need 4 conductor cable if you are going to be doing any coil splitting stuff, either with a 5 way switch or Push-pull pots.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 04:44 AM

I wish pickup companies would provide some simple power chords DI signal from each pickup they have. Then you could reamp to see which might suit you better. Buying a pickup is so difficult until you get a chance to try it and this would help.
jemsite likes this.

Tags
cap-cl , neck pickup , s970

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode