Coil splitting with LP style of switch? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Coil splitting with LP style of switch?

Hey, I have a Cort M600 guitar, it has a 3-way LP kind of selector, and has a push-pull tone pot for coil splitting. My problem is I like my clean sound in the middle when both pickups inner coils work, so not the full humbuckers together. But with this kind of setup I have to switch to middle then pull out the pot. With a tele kind of switch it was no problem on my previous gutiar, but that kind of switch doesn't fit this guitar, at least without doing anything to the wood. So is there any other switch or any other way to wire it so it will work the way I want it?
bridge - full humbucking mode
middle - both pickups inner coil
neck - full humbucking mode
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 AM

Re: Coil splitting with LP style of switch?

You can do what your looking for with a Dimarzio EP1111 (or similar 4PDT switch).
It is the same sort of switching as there are in the Petrucci model guitars.
1. Bridge in series.
2. Splitt bridge + splitt neck (inner or out coils, you chose).
3. Neck in series.

Very easy to install.

/Magnus
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 08:16 PM

Reviews: 15

That's the exact kind of switching my SZ720 came with. The toggle switch for the pickups is odd, but it allows for this kind of switching w/o using a push/pull pot.

From Ibanez:
http://www.ibanez.com/supportResourc...07/SZ720FM.pdf

From dimarzio:
http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul...mod2DimPPt.pdf

Last edited by silverctr; 08-26-2012 at 08:24 PM.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

I can only get the ibanez switch in my country. This can be wired with one volume and one tone right?

Also, when inner coil work, are they in series or parallel with each other? Is there a way to wire them to have inner coils working but here wouldn't be any volume drop compared to the bridge or neck position and still getting that single-coil tone?

Is there a 5-way megaswitch or I don't know how they call it wich fits in an LP style of cavity, where you can do this?

bridge series
bridge parallel
inner coils
neck parallel
neck series
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaserHUN View Post
I can only get the ibanez switch in my country. This can be wired with one volume and one tone right?

Also, when inner coil work, are they in series or parallel with each other? Is there a way to wire them to have inner coils working but here wouldn't be any volume drop compared to the bridge or neck position and still getting that single-coil tone?

Is there a 5-way megaswitch or I don't know how they call it wich fits in an LP style of cavity, where you can do this?

bridge series
bridge parallel
inner coils
neck parallel
neck series
You can order the Dimarzio Switch direktflyg from Dimarzio if you enat, but the ibanez Will do the trick.

You can chose if you want them in series or in parallel.
There will be a volume drop in parallel since the output becomes so much lower then.
There are no way to get that singlecoil type tone (not sure if that is the words i would use for that sound, but i know what you mean) without a volume drop.

Wired in series in you will not get a sound like that at all.
Then it will sound sort of like a muddy version of the bridge pickup.

No, a switch like that does not exist (not that I heard of at least).

/Magnus
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Can someone post a wiring diagramm for the Ibanez switch with 1 volume and 1 tone knob?
I have only found wiring with 3 pots
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 05:57 PM

without coil split

with coil split
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

I would need a diagram that has coil split in the middle position( inner coils working on both pickups) The ibanez switch also has 9 connections like the dimarzio ep1111
http://ibanez.com/parts/2003_PARTS/e...3SW1JPM3T.html
I only have this in my country, it would take a while for the dimarzio to get here from the US
So what I need is
bridge series
inner coils
neck series
with 1 volume and 1 tone
The switch above on the pictures has only 3 conenctions
I will take out the push-pull from my guitar and have a regular tone pot, I like my clean sounds with inner coils working, and I want to do it with one sdwitching, I don't want any extra movement like a push-pull
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 02:36 AM

Quote:
I would need a diagram that has coil split in the middle position( inner coils working on both pickups) The ibanez switch also has 9 connections like the dimarzio ep1111
http://ibanez.com/parts/2003_PARTS/e...3SW1JPM3T.html
I only have this in my country, it would take a while for the dimarzio to get here from the US
So what I need is
bridge series
inner coils
neck series
with 1 volume and 1 tone
The switch above on the pictures has only 3 conenctions
I will take out the push-pull from my guitar and have a regular tone pot, I like my clean sounds with inner coils working, and I want to do it with one sdwitching, I don't want any extra movement like a push-pull
That's the exact same switch that's in the first link I posted. There's 12 posts on that switch. If you can follow what the switch does in the first link, you can manipulate it to work with the first schematic in my previous post.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Well I hope I can maipulate it. Usually the wiring diagrams Dimarzio has on their website never works....
Why doesn't the 101 have a black wire, and why doesn't the 103 have a red wire? It's confusing

Last edited by ChaserHUN; 09-04-2012 at 01:26 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/s2170/custom4.gif
Or this, GND/green, the other pickup GND/white?
These wiring diagrams doesn't make too much sense to me. Last time I was asking Dimarzio for help with wirings they've sent a wiring diagram and the guitar did not have any sound at all.

Do the Dimarzio and the Ibanez switch work the exact same way?
http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul...rams/SZ720.pdf
Also I don't get this, how can you solder together neck red and green? Green+bare usually goes on the volume and red goes on the switch, also white+black goes on the pot

Last edited by ChaserHUN; 09-04-2012 at 03:54 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/s2170/custom4.gif
Or this, GND/green, the other pickup GND/white?
These wiring diagrams doesn't make too much sense to me. Last time I was asking Dimarzio for help with wirings they've sent a wiring diagram and the guitar did not have any sound at all.

Do the Dimarzio and the Ibanez switch work the exact same way?
Also I don't get this, how can you solder together neck red and green? Green+bare usually goes on the volume and red goes on the switch, also white+black goes on the pot

What colors you wire together, that goes to earth ect all depend on what phase you want the pickup in or/and what coil you want active, if you want the pickups in parallel or series ect.

I have never seen a DiMarzio diagram that hasn't worked, and I have seen a lot them.
But if any of the parts are different is it possible that it won't work.
A switch, for example, might look the same on the outside, but not be wired the same on the inside.

I have a working diagram but cant post it from my iPad, I will see what I can do tomorrow.

/Magnus
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Well I hope I can maipulate it. Usually the wiring diagrams Dimarzio has on their website never works....
Why doesn't the 101 have a black wire, and why doesn't the 103 have a red wire? It's confusing
That's because the stock pickups are "Duncans" not Dimarzio. They use a different color scheme.

I just used this schematic today to wire up a set of Satriani pickups in my SZ720. The only extra thing you have to do is add a ground wire from the tone pot to the bridge volume pot.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

I get it that on the first picture they are duncans. But both pickups should have agreen and a red wire.

Also on the dimarzio diagram, the neck is in parallel thats why the green and the red soldered together?

I want it to work like this:
bridge series
inner coils
neck series

In my other guitar with a blade type of 3 way switch and with 1 volume 1 tone knob the green+bare went on the volume pot, red on the switch and black+white went also on the switch in a differrent position.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 01:00 PM

Based on all the schematics I've looked at, the red/green combo on the neck pickup engages the inner coil. If you did black/white on the neck pickup you'd get the coil closest to the neck.

Tags
les paul coil split

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode