Coil Tap and Parallel? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Coil Tap and Parallel?

Hi there,
Can somebody tell me the different in tone between coil tapping and parallel?

I'm using a 2 hum configuration and a 5 way switch. Thinking of adding a push pull coil tap and keeping the 5 way. Problem is, I don't know if there is enough of a tonal difference to do that, for all I know, it could be a redundant thing.

Cheerio!
Daniel

Last edited by Shredcows; 04-05-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 08:42 AM

Re: Coil Tap and Parallel?

Coil tapping earths the centre "join" of the 2 coils, meaning that only one provides an output - resulting in a single coil type sound. Wiring a humbucker in parallel gives quite a pleasent result - hum cancelling, but slightly lower output and a different sound to the standard series wiring.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 12:28 PM

To add to Jammy's explanation, the tonal aspects of the two are quite similar - more treble frequencies in relation to the bass frequencies, lowered 'cleaner' output, all-'round snappier single-coil like sound.
But the parallel option does retain the hum-cancelling aspect of the pickup, being as both coils are active, and retains more of the over-all output level of the pickup when run in series (typical wiring).
Split to single-coil, the pickup is much more prone to noise, has a bit more snap to the sound, and is a lower output.
Both are useful - I actually use the parallel-wired neck pickup sound quite a bit.

I make use of both, but in my wiring scheme, I make available on the 5-way the neck pickup in parallel, the outer two coils of the two humbuckers (along the lines of a Tele sound), and the inner two coils of the two 'buckers (along the lines of a Strat when using the bridge and middle single coils).
Add to the outsides of that the regular, series connected neck and bridge 'buckers, and there's my typical wiring scheme on 4-out of 5 Ibanez guitars (the other doesn't have the 'Tele' sound, and won't until I replace the switch with a different multipole... it's an RG7).
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so the general view is that its useful to have both options available...

I'm thinking of doing the following wiriing to my axe...
A 5-way switch and a Coil Tap (push pull or switch)
So the switch will go:
1: Series/Split Neck Hum
2: Parallel Neck Hum
3: Parallel/Split Neck and Bridge
4: Parallel Bridge Hum
5: Series/Split Bridge Hum

Is there a better way to do this? Like using a 3-way switch instead?

Cheerio!
Daniel
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 12:50 PM

I've got a 3-way with a coil tap on the tone control in my 7620 (2 humbuckers). I VASTLY prefer a true tap to a parallel humbucker - sure, you still get 60-cycle hum, but you get a much more organic, dynamically repsonsive tone, too.

Basically, I got my start as a strat player, and I REALLY like singlecoils.

-D
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm...
How bad is this 60 cycle hum? I've never played strats (kinda dislike them )

And what do you mean by a much more organic, dynamically repsonsive tone?

Cheerio!
Daniel
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 08:38 AM

60 cycle hum can be very bad if your guitar is not properly shielded, it's a problem single coil users have faced since the single coil became available, and it's why most single coil guitars use Reverse Wound Reverse Polarity pickups (RWRP) in the middle position - this means that positions 2 and 4 on strats are humbucking because of the difference between the 2 pickups in use, thus cutting out the hum significantly. Positions 2 and 4 are essentially the same as a humbucker wired in parallel, althought the coils are much farther apart obviously.

Regarding parallel wiring, I feel it's another very useful sound to get out of your humbuckers. A humbucker in coil split mode (or coil tap, as its erroneously called most of the time - this is actually when you run a 'tap' wire out of a coil after a certain percentage of the winding, e.g. a tap at 6000 turns on an 8000 turn coil, resulting in more wires coming out of your pickup) will tend to sound thinner and weaker than a true single coil because of the difference in construction between a single coil and a humbucker. I always find them a bit weak sounding, and they still hum of course. A parallel wired humbucker will sound weaker than a series wired humbucker, but it will sound significantly brighter and retain more clarity. It doesn't sound like a single coil, but that doesn't make it a bad sound. I love the clarity. The best thing is to try it out for yourself and see what you think.

Incidentally, you can get all 3 sounds (series/parallel/coil split) out of your humbucker by using an on-on-on DPDT switch. See StewMac (http://www.stewmac.com) for details on how to wire such a switch, but it's pretty easy, if you don't mind cutting holes in your guitar / scratchplate. On my RG570 I have 2 DPDT switches alongside the standard 5 way selector switch, giving me a total of 13 different sounds. I particularly like the neck pickup in parallel mode.

Cheers,

Dave
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 09:49 AM

It also depends on the pickup - the Air Norton in my 7620 splits amazingly well, while the Tone Zone is fairly anemic. It's not a BAD tone - rather like a tele in ways, in fact, it's just the AN sounds much "rounder."

-D
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

hmmmm... the on-on-on DPDT switch sounds good! But it's going to affect how fast I can change tones... Hmmmm... Got to think it out carefully!

Maybe having 2 3-way switches will do the job? THe DPDT switch does look quite fragile but the 3-way switches, I know you can hit it harder to switch modes quick..

I've got a Breed Neck and Bridge... in parallel, both are WONDERFUL! Almost acoustic-like for the Bridge... However, I'm changing the Breed Bridge to a tonezone.. heh, need a thicker and bassiser tone.

Cheerio!
Daniel
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

I got it!!!

Hows this idea?
Add a mini 2-way toggle switch that does split coil/parallel switching operations... AND that mini toggle only affects the positions 2 3 and 4 on the pup switch. This would leave the 5-way pup selector to do this:

1: Neck (Series)
2: Neck (split/parallel) --- }
3: Neck + Bridge (split/parallel) --- } affected by 2-way mini switch
4: Bridge (split/parallel) --- }
5: Bridge (Series only)

Is this possible?

Cheerio!
Daniel
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

OR what if...
i use a 3-way mini toggle that went... on (parallel) / on (split) / on (ground)
and the ground only works with positions 2 and 4?

Oooooo.... I'm excited!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
It also depends on the pickup - the Air Norton in my 7620 splits amazingly well, while the Tone Zone is fairly anemic. It's not a BAD tone - rather like a tele in ways, in fact, it's just the AN sounds much "rounder."

-D
The Tone Zone is a dual resonance pickup, so one side might be hotter than the other. Be sure to use that side when splitting.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 12:19 AM

Hey, Drew - a piece of information that you may or may not know.
Those DiMarzio humbuckers often use blending of slightly different specifications on each of the coils in a humbucker (they have a trade name ofr this technology, which I forget) (eg; one might handle the mids and highs more, the other, the lows)... so, if you do a coil split, you'll get a slightly different result, depending on the physical orientation of the pickup, and the polarity of the wiring...
=]
Food for thought.

Edit - oops, Jester mentioned that already.

Tags
air norton , breed bridge , bridge hum , coil split , coil tap , coil tapping , dimarzio humbuckers , ibanez guitars , mini toggle , neck pickup , pull coil , pull coil tap , toggle switch , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode