Consecuences of replacing a true single coil with a hum cancelling single coil? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Consecuences of replacing a true single coil with a hum cancelling single coil?

Iīve been looking all over but I still canīt seem to understand what would actually happen if I replace the stock true single coil pickup on my S470dx (H-S-H) with a hum-cancelling single coil pickup. (Thinking about an area 67 or an injector or even a hot rails from duncan) would I have to replace the stock switch or would I be good with it?

I donīt suppose I would I get a diferent sound from positions 2 and 4 right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Consecuences of replacing a true single coil with a hum cancelling single coil?

The result will be a hum cancelling sound from that pickup. The switch does not need to be changed.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 05:44 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Consecuences of replacing a true single coil with a hum cancelling single coil?

You would lose the 60 cycle hum.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, right now I was watching a diferent thread from this guy who wants to wire three Humbuckers in a H-S-H config http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/s4...re-109813.html

He says that the stock 5 way switch from ibanez does not support coil splitting when you have 3 humbuckers but only when installing a true single coil in the middle, does he mean that positions 2 and 4 will no longer work? or how does it not support coil splitting?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reign_of_blood View Post
You would lose the 60 cycle hum.
So no more noise on the middle position... Iīm asumming that some frequencies on the sound will also be rolled back, can I still get that pure, true clean sound from a hum cancelling single coil? because I definetely donīt like the clean sound of humbuckers, you know that sound you get from the first and last position of the switch?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

No--you can't coil tap/split with the typical import YM-50 switch, but you didn't mention coil tapping in your first post. If the single coil is a 4-conductor type, then you treat it like a humbucker by soldering the black and white leads together, taping the end off, and keeping them away from the switch. If you want tapping or splitting--you need a multipole switch like the super or mega switches. There are tons of wiring sites on the Net--just do a search. I just posted some links to a few the other day, so look through the other threads in this section.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
No--you can't coil tap/split with the typical import YM-50 switch, but you didn't mention coil tapping in your first post. If the single coil is a 4-conductor type, then you treat it like a humbucker by soldering the black and white leads together, taping the end off, and keeping them away from the switch. If you want tapping or splitting--you need a multipole switch like the super or mega switches. There are tons of wiring sites on the Net--just do a search. I just posted some links to a few the other day, so look through the other threads in this section.
Got it, thanks a lot for your kind explanation, I think I will stick with a true single coil replacement, I heard the true velvets are quite good for bluesy stuff and clean chords has anyone tried them on a mahogany body like the s470?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 07:14 PM

I don't think there should be a problem using a Dimarzio Area in the middle no matter what switching you have as long as you just wire the Area like a single coil pup. The sound is going to be different. I played with quite a few of the Dimarzio VVs including area 61 DP416. They don't sound the same in #2 and #4. Don't mean it sounds bad, just not the same. I currently has the modified DP404 in my HSH strat and it work ok. I don't like the Area 61 at all to put it politely and I swarp the magnets between the DP404 with the DP416 so I get the weaker magnets on the DP404. The DP416 is in pieces right now!!!

I have the DP402 also, sounds better.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

[quote=Alan0354;1079165]I don't think there should be a problem using a Dimarzio Area in the middle no matter what switching you have as long as you just wire the Area like a single coil pup./quote]

Thatīs very interesting I will definetely search on how to wire an area 67 like a single coil, but Iīm also considering a dp 402 as I think itīs the best aproach to the sound Iīm looking for, what would you think is best?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
I don't think there should be a problem using a Dimarzio Area in the middle no matter what switching you have as long as you just wire the Area like a single coil pup.
Thatīs very interesting I will definetely search on how to wire an area 67 like a single coil, but Iīm also considering a dp 402 as I think itīs the best aproach to the sound Iīm looking for, what would you think is best?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosi_ View Post

I meant just wire the normal way as instructed. I am looking at the DP416, it comes with the black and white soldered together and only red and green leads are long. You just wire one wire to the 5 way switch and the other to the ground ( body of the pot). You then test for phase matching in #2 and #4 to make sure the sound is right. If it is out of phase, then you reverse the leads and is done.

Don't mean to confuse you, I just meant wire it up as if it's a single coil that have two leads.

My DP416 don't even have a ground leads, I tried to solder one on the metal shield inside and it did not help to reduce the noise. This pup is noisy, I read complain about this from others too. This is the worst out of three I have. That is the reason I use it as spare parts and open it to look at how it is constructed. I actually like the DP404 in the middle because it is louder to match the HBs. It has since been replaced by DP420 and I have no idea how it sounds. You need one that is not as bright, that's the reason I mentioned DP402 or DP404.

I am going to switch to the Tex Mex bridge pup soon. The reason is because the Tex Mex bridge is loud also and it is a true single coil. I can wire it correctly so it cancel noise in #2 and #4 if I split the coils in the other two HBs. With the VVs, you cannot do that. If I were you, I'll check out the Dimarzio FS1. It is a true single coil with high output and you can make it hum cancelling with the split coil of the two HBs.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Don't mean to confuse you, I just meant wire it up as if it's a single coil that have two leads.
Thatīs ok I didnīt get confused I just thought there was kind of a "special" way to wire single coils as I have only wired Humbuckers in the past though, thanks for clearing it out.

Quote:
If I were you, I'll check out the Dimarzio FS1. It is a true single coil with high output and you can make it hum cancelling with the split coil of the two HBs.
Iīve read the description on that one and heard a few demos on youtube; now thatīs more like the sound Iīm after, I even think it sounds better than the VVīs Iīm gonna try the FS1, thanks for your kind attention.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 10:12 PM

Reviews: 2

Fosi...What pickups are currently in your S470?? including the humbuckers...
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Fosi...What pickups are currently in your S470?? including the humbuckers...
Currently stock powersound humbuckers and stock single coil, but I'm replacing the three pickups I've already decided on a D sonic and probably an air Norton (as I cant afford duncans right now)
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosi_ View Post
Currently stock powersound humbuckers and stock single coil, but I'm replacing the three pickups I've already decided on a D sonic and probably an air Norton (as I cant afford duncans right now)

Is Duncan much more expensive at your place. Not that much here!!!

Tags
dimarzio , injector , s470dx , single coil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode