Converting H-S-H to H-H (Ibanez RG350MZ) - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Question Converting H-S-H to H-H (Ibanez RG350MZ)

I've been working with this for 10 hours now and still haven't found a solution, anyone there who can help me?

I just bought a Ibanez RG350MZ that comes with INF3/INFS3/INF4 pickups which I don't like. So I bought a pair of Artec humbuckers and tried to install them yesterday.

The wiring diagram I'm using is this:
http://s15.postimage.org/8xmfam6q3/Di_M_8pole_Rev2.jpg

I have converted it into Artec:
Dimarzio Red = Artec Green
Dimarzio Black = Artec Red
Dimarzio Green = Artec Black
Dimarzio White = Artec White
Dimarzio Bare = Artec Bare

I am not sure that this are the right colors, the artec site gave me this information:
http://s21.postimage.org/931fklq1j/Artec.png

And the seller of the pickups told me this:
"Green wire is live, black and shield wires are connected to earth and red and white wires are soldered together and used for coil splitting option. For standard humbucking operation, green and white wires are connected together and insulated with tape."

So here's the problem, this is how (I think) it behaves when I switch between the pickups from neck to bridge:

Neck
1. Full neck humbucker
2. Parallel neck?
3. Same as 2nd
4. No sound
5. Full bridge humbucker
Bridge

What am I doing wrong? The Guitarheads H-H wiring looks like this, I think it's the same for my Artec, but how do I apply that on a 8-pin Ibanez switch? http://guitarheadspickups.com/wiring/images/coiltap.jpg
Also, I should mention that I do not have the 330pF capacitor shown in the Dimarzio diagram, but I have done this on 2 previous guitars without it with perfect result (with Tesla and Dimarzio pickups on Ibanez H-H)

Last edited by veckans; 03-02-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 04:24 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Converting H-S-H to H-H (Ibanez RG350MZ)

The problem you are facing is the switch in your guitar. I did the same thing as you a while back. The switched used in the diagram you posted is actually a special switch made for Ibanez by Cortek. The 3PS1SC5 switch looks like a standard strat style 5 way, but it is in no way similar, other than looks.

Basically you'll need a different switch, order a 3PS1SC5 from your local Ibanez dealer and you'll be good to go.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Re: Converting H-S-H to H-H (Ibanez RG350MZ)

Thank you so much, I was going crazy re-checking my soldering/wiring all the time. I had no idea Ibanez had different 5-way/8-pin switches, gonna check with my local music stores if they have/can order one for me ASAP.

Tags
h-h , h-s-h , ibanez , rg350mz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode