cool tone capacitor article thought i would share and a question - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

cool tone capacitor article thought i would share and a question

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle...apacitors.aspx

i found the article interesting and short (mostly because gibson started using orange drops)
I have always upgraded my tone caps. depending on the guitar and style
I have used a variety of orange drops, Russian pio, and black\ tan beauties over the years.

Question: what did you think of the article? and what tone cap upgrades do you all do? if any? (i know some remove it)

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 07:55 AM

Re: cool tone capacitor article thought i would share and a question

Marketing BS.
All capacitors with the same value will act exacly the same.
Laws of physics and mathematics won't change if it's orange painted.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

ok....
thanks for helping to further the discussion... yes that was sarcasm
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 09:52 PM

Well, let's add some stuff to this thread to open it up a bit, eh? I know hee-haw about capacitors as they relate to guitar tone but of course I've seen a bunch of online chat about it. So since it came up here on Jemsite I thought I'd investigate more. Now I have to admit I thought Heep's reply was pretty... how should I say... finite, perhaps. I was in the 'well it depends on the quality of the connecting wires on the cap and what the caps are made of' camp, since I partially work with electronics. However, my thinking is more to do with reliability of the cap, not what the bloody thing does! So with that in mind I had a bit of an investigation. Of course I looked up capacitance on Wiki to understand the finer details of an ideal situation in the first place; the theory if you will. Long story short I came across two pretty great articles about it as it relates to guitar tone, with examples.

I think what could be extrapolated from these is that Heep is correct, and that any audible deviation between caps could come down to the physics of the state of the cap in use, (degradation of component material, whether it is in fact working properly, manufacturing defects, etc.).

What I did learn which I thought was very helpful for guitar tone is that you can add a resistor to the mix and, depending on its value, that will affect the tone by wiring it in parallel with the capacitor. I hadn't heard of that before now and I'd be interested to try some out in the future.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/tonefie...ize-your-caps/

http://zerocapcable.com/?page_id=224

I want to add that I don't think anyone is right or wrong here, (if you find a cap that suits your ears that's all that matters!), just that I found these articles interesting and that I was happy this thread lead me to more information about this subject.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

cool glad i could inspire you to do some research and learn some new stuff (i read those articles too)
the electric guitar is a miracle of wood, metal and electronics. each variable playing it's part in the overall sound. The cap is a small but influential piece.
though i appreciate the scientific approach and i believe electronic theory would support the claims. there are subtleties in attack and harmonics when you play that come through that are subjective so we'll just say i believe in magic
thanks for sharing
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 12:11 PM

Never said the tone circuit didn't have an impact on the sound.
My point (and not only my point, it's the truth ) was no matter what brand, type (tantal, chemical, ceramic, plastic...) or colour the cap is, there will be no difference at all on the sound if the mesured capacity values are the same.
Overpriced caps will do exactly the same thing than the others.

If you hear a différence it's because :
*the values are not the same
Or
*you are a psycholigical victim of this marketing BS

Since we are on an Ibanez forum, can I ask how many Jem, JS, Prestige or J Custom models come with these overpriced caps ? These are pretty expensive guitars... ads or back of the headstock claim that they are the finest sounding instruments...
Regarding their price, the caps should be the best available no ?
I only have a Fujigen FGM400QM and it came with a simple and tiny ceramic cap. It's not a J Custom but it is a pricy signature guitar though.

Can people here tell us what original cap is in their Prestige, Jem, J Custom ?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodVaibes View Post
Nice link.
It is what I try to say... certainly in a better english than mine

Tags
tone cap , tone pot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode