Crunch Lab 7/Liquifire 7 Hiss - Normal? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Crunch Lab 7/Liquifire 7 Hiss - Normal?

Gonna throw out an arbitrary question, and if we can't figure this out I guess I'll put some sound clips up to better illustrate what I'm hearing.

Just had a Crunch Lab 7 / Liquifire 7 combo installed in my RG1527. They sound fantastic overall, but both pups hiss more than any humbucker I've ever used when I add gain. I've owned Aftermath 7, D Activator 7, Evoloution, Tone Zone, and FRED, and as far as hiss goes the CL/LF take the cake. To emphasize: I'm talking about a steady "sssssssssssss." Not a buzzing or electrical sound.

I've read Crunch Lab 7 reviews where people have said "it's noisier than other pups, though not as noisy as D Sonics." I've never played D Sonics, so I can't compare. All I can say is the CL7/LF7 are hissier than any humbuckers in any of my other guitars.

Normally, I don't use a gate when playing leads because i don't want notes being cut off, and I can tolerate a certain amount of normal hiss. But with the CL7/LF7 there's enough hiss (the hiss is identical in all 3 switch positions) that I can't see going without a gate, which is a bummer.

Based on what I've described, does this sound normal? For those of you who own a CL/LF, did you find it "hissier" than your past pups?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Re: Crunch Lab 7/Liquifire 7 Hiss - Normal?

Well, the lack of responses doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.

Extremely busy for the next week, but I'll try to post some sound clips and do an A/B/C comparison between my 3 guitars. I think that'll give people a better idea of whether what I'm hearing is "normal hiss" or if I got duds. A noise gate easily hides the hiss, but I just hate using a gate for leads unless I ABSOLUTELY have to.

I've been hearing/reading that DiMarzio had some QA issues with the Crunch Lab 7's for a span of time... though I've not heard the same about the Liquifire 7's.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM

Reviews: 120

If they are pickups that are designed with unbalanced coils (i.e. not matching resistance on each coil) they will be more prone to hiss or hum. That comes with the territory. I have a feeling these two models do feature unbalanced coils.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Well, sound clips are going to be unnecessary, because I did a little experiment and now know that the issue has something to do with the stereo configuration I'm using, NOT the pickups themselves.

First, a bit of technical background...

The tech installed a single stereo output jack, rather than two separate jacks (as on the old piezo-equipped Ibanezes). He did this at my request. I'm not an electronics guy at all, so here are his exact words:

"The mags are true bypassed now. I used a 4 conductor stereo switch jack. This allows the mags on the tip and the piezos on the ring while the sleeve and switch-contact turn power on/off"

So, my setup is: I run a stereo TRS cable from my guitar's output jack into a Y cable (mono & mono), and plug the Y cable into the left & right line inputs on the back of my POD HD Pro. On the POD, I configure said inputs for "Line Guitar L" & "Line Guitar R" and pan both to center. Then, I simply switch between 100% mags or 100% piezos. No blending. Everything works as it should, but this is where I get the low-level hissing.

As an experiment, I decided to instead plug a standard guitar cable in and go into the normal guitar input on the front of my POD. This works, I just can't use the piezos when I do this... only the magnetic pickups. Guess what? The hissing was gone.

As soon as I went back to the other configuration (stereo TRS cable > Y splitter > L & R line inputs), the hissing was there again.

So, the pickups themselves are fine and sound fantastic. I'm just going to have to use a noise gate in order to use the whole stereo TRS and Y cable getup. Shouldn't be a huge issue, really. It takes very little gating to eliminate this hiss.

Tags
crunch lab 7 , hiss , liquifire 7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode