D-Activator BRIDGE in the neck? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

D-Activator BRIDGE in the neck?

Anyone tried?
Bridge in neck, not neck in bridge that i know is popular
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 04:26 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: D-Activator BRIDGE in the neck?

It's going to be pretty damned overpowering in most instances. It has a huge output rating, but the resistance isn't too high, so it won't be too compressed. What would you pair it up with?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking of d-activator X bridge
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 05:19 PM

Just drop it down a little farther from the strings than you normally would. I bet you'll get an ultra clear sound that doesn't get muddy with gain.

I did the same with a FRED in the neck paired with an Evo and it's one of my favorite combos now... Just try it, if you don't like it just swap it out with something else...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 12:35 AM

a bridge in the neck, especially a high output bridge pickup, usually sounds like garbage. The fred is a PAF pro with a little more mid range, output wise it is a warm medium.

You have to remember that the bridge pickup is closer to the bridge meaning less string vibration over the pickup, so it is designed to have more output. You also have to remember that it means less bass because the string doesn't have enough length between it and the bridge for the lower frequency vibrations.

Ultimately you will find that the pickup has too much output and or too much bass and not enough clarity. The voltage being generated over the neck pickup position is too high and the pickup is designed to have more bass response based on the fact is was designed for as a bridge pickup.

By all means i would give it a try but I dont think you will like it. If you want a loud, clear, bright, and full neck pickup go with a humbucker from hell.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
a bridge in the neck, especially a high output bridge pickup, usually sounds like garbage.
I know you said usually, but the Dimarzio Cruiser Bridge pup sounds REALLY sweet in the neck. It's got lots of clarity and sounds amazing.

EDIT:

Also, Dimarzio, on their FAQ section, says "theres no rule except that the neck pup can't be higher output than the Bridge." I think the activator would sound okay in the neck, if you balanced it with something of equal or higher output than it, it should be okay.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
I know you said usually, but the Dimarzio Cruiser Bridge pup sounds REALLY sweet in the neck. It's got lots of clarity and sounds amazing.

EDIT:

Also, Dimarzio, on their FAQ section, says "theres no rule except that the neck pup can't be higher output than the Bridge." I think the activator would sound okay in the neck, if you balanced it with something of equal or higher output than it, it should be okay.
Exactly....

You can adjust a pickup to suit the situation also. There is no rule that says a bridge pickup can't be placed in the neck position...

Yes the FRED is lower output than the D activator, but more to my point it has the voicing of a bridge pickup, so to get the clarity of a typical neck pickup I lowered the bass side and raised the pole pieces until I was happy with it. Dropping the high output pickup away from the strings will decrease the output and quiet it down a little

So if the OP already has one sitting on a shelf somewhere, it won't hurt to try it out. By adjusting pole pieces and pickup height he might even learn a thing or two about how pickups work...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

I noticed that sound of the activator depends very much on the guitar it is in.
I have this rg331 that is very bright and percussive and the activator sounds like the guitar itself.
If I tap lightly on the back of the headstock I can hear the sound in the speakers, if i gently tap in every place of body or neck i hear distinctly the sound in the speakers, it's like the activator is reproducing all guitar as a whole, not only the sound of the strings over it.
So I suspect that in the neck can sound very good, because the guitar is bright and percussive, just to lazy to remove strings and try.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephmetal View Post
I noticed that sound of the activator depends very much on the guitar it is in.
I have this rg331 that is very bright and percussive and the activator sounds like the guitar itself.
If I tap lightly on the back of the headstock I can hear the sound in the speakers, if i gently tap in every place of body or neck i hear distinctly the sound in the speakers, it's like the activator is reproducing all guitar as a whole, not only the sound of the strings over it.
So I suspect that in the neck can sound very good, because the guitar is bright and percussive, just to lazy to remove strings and try.
Imagine the Activator in a neck-thru Sugi J custom. That must sound like a dream it you're getting that good of a sound in your 331.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, the guitar plays by itself, I'm going to record something soon, with d-activator in a neck thru, fixed bridge, direct mount I suspect that even a chimpanzee could shred!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the guitar plays by itself, I'm going to record something soon, with d-activator in a neck thru, fixed bridge, direct mount I suspect that even a chimpanzee could shred!
Chimps are smart man be careful

I wish the 331s were released in Japan. I've looked around, the only places I've seen it are in Europe
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

331 is a very good guitar, plus I payed it only 209 new, and 75 for the activator so now i have a killer 284 brand new guitar!

No living creature is smarter than a dolphin, that would be the real shredder animal if only had hands!

Jokes apart more the sustain, more the sensivity of the instrument, more the focus, more it plays like butter and you can play fast effortlessly!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
331 is a very good guitar, plus I payed it only 209 new, and 75 for the activator so now i have a killer 284 brand new guitar!

No living creature is smarter than a dolphin, that would be the real shredder animal if only had hands!

Jokes apart more the sustain, more the sensivity of the instrument, more the focus, more it plays like butter and you can play fast effortlessly!
It was that cheap? wow, sweet deal dude. Is it Indo?

Sounds like my 350. I paid 45000 yen (about 450 USD), put in 3 evos (bought as a set last year on sale for about half price) and now putting in 2 push pull pots, one for single coil mode on the buckers, one for phase shifting. Still costs less than my 1550 lol

I think the best guitars are the ones that you have a deep connection to. Something that makes them special over all of the others you own. They will always play better than anything because of that connection. I could never sell any of my guitars, they are all too important to me.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Made in indonesia
but is the only fixed bridge-maple neck ibanez that you can buy new (someone tell me if i'm wrong), so it was the only option.
It's very well build, but it feels cheap, the body it's very light, cheap basswood, but plays better than my 550 that has worn frets, leveled not recrowned, and wood of the fretboard like a roller coaster!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:33 AM

That color is really awesome too. I wish they would release something like that over here

My 350 is also Indo, but it doesn't feel all that cheap. I dunno, maybe the 2011 model year was pretty good? The wizard 3 is a really nice neck. Is yours a Wizard 3 also?

Tags
bridge , d-activator , neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode