D Activator bridge in an RG565? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

D Activator bridge in an RG565?

I have not yet succeeded in getting original pickups for my RG565. I got the stock single coil for the neck (IBZ SB1) that I haven't put in yet. I was thinking in the meantime, until I find the HB2 (which may take a long time), Dimarzio D Activator in cream colour (or maybe white) for the bridge

Anyone have experience with this combo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 12:53 AM

Re: D Activator bridge in an RG565?

if the original pickup was a dimarzio, you can contact dimarzio and sometimes they have extras or will even make one to the same specs as the original. I'd check with them to see if that is a possibility.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 05:23 PM

The original Ibanez HB2 is said to be a copy of a DiMarzio Mega Drive, banjomikez has a few in stock on ebay. That's going to be the closest you can get to the HB2 and it's probably even better sounding, honestly. That being said, the RG3XXV (565 Reissue) came with a D-Activator/Air Norton S set and I thought the pickups sounded pretty great. Not sure how I'd feel about it now, since my tone now is very different from 2012. If I were you, I'd go for the Mega Drive, just because I loved the sound of the HB2 in my RG565 before I swapped it for some pink bkp goodness.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
if the original pickup was a dimarzio, you can contact dimarzio and sometimes they have extras or will even make one to the same specs as the original. I'd check with them to see if that is a possibility.
Will look into that, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASoC View Post
The original Ibanez HB2 is said to be a copy of a DiMarzio Mega Drive, banjomikez has a few in stock on ebay. That's going to be the closest you can get to the HB2 and it's probably even better sounding, honestly. That being said, the RG3XXV (565 Reissue) came with a D-Activator/Air Norton S set and I thought the pickups sounded pretty great. Not sure how I'd feel about it now, since my tone now is very different from 2012. If I were you, I'd go for the Mega Drive, just because I loved the sound of the HB2 in my RG565 before I swapped it for some pink bkp goodness.
I want the HB2 mainly to just bring the 565 back to its original spec. I was never after it for it's sound specifically. I've heard it sounds great though.

The RG3XXV's D Activator/Air Norton S combo is exactly why I was looking at the D Activator for this. I'll likely stick with the original SB1 (neck) that I haven't installed yet, since it's the original pup for the 565 and I like the flutey character it has. If you watch Rick Graham's video on youtube called "Ibanez RG565 - DAT AXE!!!" you can hear it at 0:53. Warm but flutely character, sounds great!

How does the Mega Drive compare to the D Activator? I read it's an alnico 5 and output is 350mv, compared to the D Activator being ceramic and 470mv. I'm guessing the Mega Drive is more versatile with more dynamics, and the D Activator being more-so for high gain / metal / shredding (closer to an EMG81)?

What BKP did you put in? You still have the SB1 in the neck? You can just sell me your HB2
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 05:50 PM

I put a BKP Holydiver in the bridge and a DiMarzio Virtual Vintage 54 Pro in the neck of mine. Sorry, the HB2 is already in a Japanese Dinky along with a PAF Pro in the neck

I've only owned the DA7 (and it's well known that 7 string DiMarzios never sound exactly like their 6 string counter parts) and my impression of it was very much like an EMG 81. It's got a pretty even frequency response, it responds really well to EQ, it's very dry sounding, there's monstrous amounts of pick attack on tap, and it loves to be in front of a dirty amp. However, I did find it to be pretty limited. I'm sure the DA can do more than metal, but I was never able to make it sound the way I wanted.

The HB2 (I've never actually owned a Mega Drive, but I remember reading that someone who had both said that the HB2 was a damn good copy) was actually much more versatile and had a killer lead tone (the DA sounded like ass for leads, imo). The HB2 also reminded me of the Nailbomb I have in another guitar, it had a similar snarl and just felt very good under the hand, especially when playing thrashy stuff.

The Holydiver is a whole different animal. It's easily the most versatile of the pickups we're talking about (also had a Tone Zone/HS-2 combo in my 565 when I bought it and I HATED the TZ). The Holydiver also has the perfect lead tone for me: smooth upper mids and a well defined pick attack with pinch harmonics jumping out at you (the HB2 was pretty similar on pinch harmonics). I use the VV 54 Pro mostly for cleans, although its also got a very warm fluid sound to it after the articulation of the note. Rolling the tone knob off under gain makes it sound very similar to an Air Norton S too, if that's more your lead style. That's the tone I tend to use on ballads and things like that where the aggressive, cutting nature of leads played on the bridge wouldn't make sense.

I did test clips with all the different pickups I tried in my 565 (TZ, HB2, HD, HS-2, VV54), its a blind clip though. If you're interested give it a listen and tell me which pickup set you like the most and I'll tell you which ones they are

These were done really quickly in my bedroom with my practice patches that were dialed in for my RG7421 with the Nailbomb/Cold Sweat set. There's nothing in post, everything is raw.

I can't post links yet, but I'll PM it to you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode