D Activator-X - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

D Activator-X

Anyone tried the D Activator-X?

I just bought a 91 RG550 on the bay, it has the original pickups and I'm changing them with Dimarzio. I wanted to try something different and after considering many different combos, the D Activator seemed interesting, and so does the D Activator-X, on the plus I think the D Activator-X would look pretty cool too hehe. But what's the opinion on sound, is it too hot? I know they emulate active pickups, I hate EMG's I find they sound too sterile and flat to me, does the D Activator-X keep the power and high output of pickups like EMG but still has that versatile Dimarzio tone? If you wonder what my playing style is. I play mostly metal, no blues no jazz and very rarely do I play clean. I play Dream Theater, Opeth, Children of Bodom and of course alot of Vai and Satriani. But I don't try to emulate any of those artists tone, I have my own tone and my own style.

Based on what I just said, could D Activator-X be good for me? I usually just buy it and try myself, I hate to ask for advice, but I'm curious what you guys think of these.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 11:26 PM

Reviews: 12
Re: D Activator-X

I saw the D Activator-X the other day and my jaw dropped! very interested in these!
As for regular D Activators, they have that "active" presence and responds similar to an EMG without sounding "metallic". I do assume that the D Activator-X is similar to the X2N in terms of punch and grind with the clarity of the D Activator... The D Activator-X neck version is very interesting as well!
As for the D Activator's output... i'm not sure why this might be but it seems like the X2N i recently installed on my 760 is "quieter" than the D Activator 7 on my UVGR. Not sure if its due to their design differences or a result of "emulating" the hi-output of an active preamp.

Reg
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 12:09 AM

I doubt you'll hear about anyone having any experience with these for a short while since, well, they just came out. Apparently, they are based on the X2N balanced with a nice clean sound as well. For rhythm tone, I liked the regular X2N, but loathed any lead tone that I got out of it. The neck model of the D Activator-X looks interesting though. I'm interested to hear about these new pickups.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Ah I didn't knew they were that new, explain why I can't find any in online music stores.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Seven View Post
Ah I didn't knew they were that new, explain why I can't find any in online music stores.
They were just announced at NAMM, along with the PAF Bridge. They weren't listed on DiMarzio's site until Saturday I think.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Anyone know when they go on sale?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 10:42 PM

already are. Steve's music center seems to have em, just google "dimarzio activator x" and youll find it. I didnt know about this pickup and bought an Evo 2 for the bridge of my 2nd custom guitar. I wonder how they compare.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

What Dimarzio single coil in the middle position with these D Activator X? I was thinking of using a Fast Track 2 or Super Distortion S, but these two single coil are high output (over 300 on the DMZ site) would it be too much magnet pull, would it cause problems to have tow high output humbuckers with a high output single coil?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 06:37 PM

You could probably get away with an HS-3 in the middle.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 07:06 PM

Bah, most of my local stores don't even have the original D-Activators in, and no Xiphos'. I've really wanted to test them out.

Tags
custom guitar , dimarzio tone , music store , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode