D Activator-X / X2N - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

D Activator-X / X2N

Hi all,

I was checking around for good neck pickup to match up my X2N bridge. When browsing through DiMarzio site, I saw this D Activator-X Neck pickup which has just the same look as the X2N. So without much thinking I purchased one... it's on the way arriving the 18th this month.

Has anyone had experience with D Activator-X pickups already? I really wonder how will a blade style pickup sound in the neck...

I'll be sharing me experience once I got it installed on my Jackson King V... I think it'd look killer to have two blade style humbuckers on a V guitar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 01:50 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: D Activator-X / X2N

Cool, let us know how it sounds. I'm interested in how the Bridge model sounds compared to the X2N.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitudes911 View Post
Hi all,

I was checking around for good neck pickup to match up my X2N bridge. When browsing through DiMarzio site, I saw this D Activator-X Neck pickup which has just the same look as the X2N. So without much thinking I purchased one... it's on the way arriving the 18th this month.

Has anyone had experience with D Activator-X pickups already? I really wonder how will a blade style pickup sound in the neck...

I'll be sharing me experience once I got it installed on my Jackson King V... I think it'd look killer to have two blade style humbuckers on a V guitar.
they dont work very well, after trying and re trying....i found the only thing that matches a x2n in sound is a duncan distortion in the neck

ive gone throigh countless amounts

the only thing about the d activator you might like is the muddyness, if u chord alot with the neck position youll enjoy it, if u do alot of individual note tapping it doesnt work very well

but its sounds damn mean!!!!

let me know how u like it....
i have a x2n b and a d distorion in my v-2 warmoth
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 04:05 PM

Reviews: 1

I could name a dozen pups for the neck that will work with the X2N, it just depends on what playing you do with the neck pup.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Well, I just got my D Activator-X neck installed today. I did the normal series connection, for both the X2N bridge and the D Activator-X Neck.

The D Activator-X Neck model really sounds amazing in my opinion. Comparing to the Jackson stock neck pickup (Duncan Designed, made after Duncan Jazz model), this pickup has a lot more output, sounds clearer in clean tone, and as for distortion leads, i find it very defined and solid. and maybe due to its high output, I can sense the sustain is better. For a passive pickup, its really beyond my expectations...plus the look is killer... now i don't have to worry about my clean tone no more, because the X2N bridge's clean tone is kind of thin...

Since the D Activator-X neck is a new pickup, I'm writing this short review for anyone interested in how it sounds. I play metal mostly, but from time to time I like to play some slow rock ballads, this setup works wonders for me really.

Just an addition, although the D Activator-X neck is cool, but in my opinion it still can't beat the EMG 85 I have on my other guitar, which has even more output because being an active model. But if you dont like to have a 9V battery around.. then this D Activator-X neck is a good choice for neck position.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 10:26 PM

what wiring and pots did you use..?? wat tone cap?? what kind of switch 5 way of 3 way??
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Well, I just got my D Activator-X neck installed today. I did the normal series connection, for both the X2N bridge and the D Activator-X Neck.

The D Activator-X Neck model really sounds amazing in my opinion. Comparing to the Jackson stock neck pickup (Duncan Designed, made after Duncan Jazz model), this pickup has a lot more output, sounds clearer in clean tone, and as for distortion leads, i find it very defined and solid. and maybe due to its high output, I can sense the sustain is better. For a passive pickup, its really beyond my expectations...plus the look is killer... now i don't have to worry about my clean tone no more, because the X2N bridge's clean tone is kind of thin...

Since the D Activator-X neck is a new pickup, I'm writing this short review for anyone interested in how it sounds. I play metal mostly, but from time to time I like to play some slow rock ballads, this setup works wonders for me really.

Just an addition, although the D Activator-X neck is cool, but in my opinion it still can't beat the EMG 85 I have on my other guitar, which has even more output because being an active model. But if you dont like to have a 9V battery around.. then this D Activator-X neck is a good choice for neck position.
Sounds good dude, but if it didnt sound better than a stock Duncan design then theres some kind of serious problem, hahaha.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
what wiring and pots did you use..?? wat tone cap?? what kind of switch 5 way of 3 way??
Well I followed the instruction paper that came with the pickup, I wired up the standard series type of connection. it said black with white, green with bare to the ground and red is hot. Im not sure what kind of pot has my guitar, but its a one volume, one tone, 3 way selector. pretty simple.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Well I followed the instruction paper that came with the pickup, I wired up the standard series type of connection. it said black with white, green with bare to the ground and red is hot. Im not sure what kind of pot has my guitar, but its a one volume, one tone, 3 way selector. pretty simple.
if you upgrade the pots and maybe put a quality cap in it, with high poit values ypoull get ten times the tone of ur 81/85 setup

just letting you know

passive is the shizzzy
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
if you upgrade the pots and maybe put a quality cap in it, with high poit values ypoull get ten times the tone of ur 81/85 setup

just letting you know

passive is the shizzzy
thanks lots man.. but can you kindly advice some specific tone and cap? so i might get another upgrade.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 01:36 AM

if u are running hxh
id recomend a 3 way lp style switch with 1 meg volume and 500k tone with .022 cap, if youw ana get the most tone out of it, id suggest using no tone controls, and just having two 1 meg pots...removing hte tone control actually opens up the aural dynamics of high output pups

i have in my warmoth a x2n and a duncan distortion, i have 1 meg volume and 500k tone .022 cap and its to die for...but im reforming since i am using a 1 meg push pull, i am going to add a 1 meg push pull so i dont use my tone anymore and its always up..........im just waiting till the right moment, but its in the near future.

this is actually a definetely nice mod. 2 push pull 1meg pots with coil tap wired....give me the ability to get nharley tones, i can run both pups at different outputs in coil tapping and get awesome cleans....i love the x2n its my favorite pup ive ever used
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 01:51 AM

and if you feel like you want more drive and tone....you can always put in two volume pots at 2 meg rating and each one of your pups will be working harder than ever before. i heard a guitar in dan torres shop with x2n that was a handwound pup that was as hot as the x2n, and man let me tell you, i never thought that pup could sing like that...it was amazing its tempting me, but i like to coil tap between pups, so its hard to find a 2 meg push pull

if anyone reading this can find me one, ill take it! ill take 2 actually
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the advice man, really appreciate your advice.
I'll also try to mod the connection then... in the near future too
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 12:18 PM

no prob i love high gain
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 12:30 AM

Reviews: 12

so I got a D-Activator X bridge model for my S5470 in C standard last week and here's a short review:
this is what the original D-Activator bridge should've sounded like. Holy crap, this IS the meanest sounding and loudest DiMarzio so far. Comparing this to an X2N, the D-Activator X *HAS* some major huevos. This IS the closest thing to an EMG without branding it an EMG. There's this clarity that doesn't break-up through the chunkiness and a "metallic" sound that's smooth, not piercing. It's definitely a hi-gain metal pickup but the cleans on it are much more "natural" and brighter than the original D-Activator's.
I had this bridge pup with a Paf Pro for a couple days but despite the warmth and singy-ness of the Paf Pro, it contrasted with the D-Activator X. The Paf Pro got replaced with a D-Activator neck and the combo seems to work together.

Reg

Last edited by reguv760; 05-28-2008 at 11:38 AM.

Tags
bridge pup , clean tone , coil tap , coil tapping , duncan designed , duncan distortion , meg pot , neck pickup , neck position , neck pup , volume pots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode