Dead middle pickup? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Dead middle pickup?

Hi,

I just bought my new Jem77 from Sweetwater as a future present so technically I have to keep it aside for a little while.

My wife didn't want me to play it but I had to make sure everything is okay with it. I just plugged it in and I think I have a problem with it but as I'm not too familiar with guitars I want so advice as to what my problem may be.

I normally use a clean channel for playing and I noticed that when I used either the bridge of the neck pickups the guitar played fine. However when I switched to the middle pickup I only heard the strings as if the guitar was unplugged, this happened when I used the middle pickup in conjunction with the bridge or the neck pickups. I switched to a dirty channel and I could hear the hum from the amp before I even played when either the neck or the bridge pickup was selected. As soon as I flicked the switch to the middle three positions there was no hum from the amp. To my novice ears it appeared that whenever I used the middle pickup in any combination or on it's own it was dead.

I've sent an e-mail off to Sweetwater to see what they say but I thought I would post my problem here to see if anyone could either give me some advice or a rough idea of where the problem may lie.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 03:49 AM

Re: Dead middle pickup?

Looks like middle pickup is not sending signal.
So either is dead pickup, or some wire somewhere is loose, and needs to be wire in.
Since guitar is new, is less likely that pickup is dead, probably wiring needs to be checked.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for information, I'm guessing if there's a loose wire it might have happened when it was shipped as Sweetwater advertise on their site that the guitar goes through many checks before it's sent out. That's one of the reasons I bought it for them.

I don't want to have to ship it back to them to have it fixed as there's a shop nearby where they can make repairs. I'll guess I will just have to wait and see what Sweetwater says.

Once again thank you for the help, it's greatly appreciated.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 04:47 PM
Vendor

Don't believe the hype, Sweetwater has been on the downward decline for years, you paid a premium price and absolutely got substandard service. I used to recommend Sweetwater if you had to use a financing deal or similar, ever since they sent me a $6000 guitar with a chip in it I can no longer recommend them for anything.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 09:48 AM

It's unusual (but not unheard of) for pickups to completely die. It sounds like a bad solder joint/loose wire or something.

Surprised this would come on a brand-new guitar, especially a JEM. Makes you wonder what has happened to QC...

'87
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Hi,

I just wanted to post a follow up to my issue just in case anyone wondered what happened and it will also give you some information on Sweetwater.

I heard back from Sweetwater in a day or two, I think there was a slight delay because I sent my e-mail to the wrong person. However, the response I got back was for me to take it to a local shop which is an authorized Ibanez repair shop. I didn't want to send the guitar back to Sweetwater so I thought this was okay. I tok it to the shop and the guitar was fixed within a day. The problem was that the pickups were incorrectly wired up.

I contacted Sweetwater and naturally I was pretty angry because the reason I bought the guitar from them instead of Guitar Center was that their website extolled how they check each guitar before it's left the warehouse. Sweetwater agreed to pay the cost of the repair and offered me a few things to try and make up for the problem. I ended up getting some things and although my wife would probably wanted me to go further i just wanted to put this experience behind me.

The guitar was bought as a future present and I didn't have a lot of time to try the guitar out as it was supposed to be kept aside so it would be given to me at a later date. I'm just glad that I found this out now instead of waiting until I was presented with the guitar in front of family members only to find that it wasn't wired up correctly.

I'm still really disappointed in receiving the guitar from Sweetwater in this condition. I would have expected that they would have plugged the guitar into an amp to test the pickups, perhaps the guy who worked on this overlooked this. I now consider this matter closed

Sweetwater did appear to be very sorry for what happened and they did try to make up for this by offering things to me for all the inconvenience. I had planned on this being the last guitar I would ever own so I don't know if I would go back to Sweetwater again for a guitar or not. I'm sure when it comes to amps or stompboxes I would go to another retailer as I would be more concerned with the price. I just wanted to let you know about my experience and to put our a warning to other people to make sure to check your newly purchased instrument to make sure it's okay as you don't want to buy something early like I did only to find out that there is a problem.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 08:26 AM

That's a pretty blatant strike against their "55 point inspection." Says whoever checked it out didn't even plug it in.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 03:17 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Don't believe the hype, Sweetwater has been on the downward decline for years, you paid a premium price and absolutely got substandard service. I used to recommend Sweetwater if you had to use a financing deal or similar, ever since they sent me a $6000 guitar with a chip in it I can no longer recommend them for anything.
It really does need to be said again.

55 point inspection, read it, half of them are acoustic only, And if you notice what's new in their checkout -

Limited-time Offer! - 12 Days Left
Personalize Your Guitar at Checkout!
Did you know that Sweetwater's Guitar Services Shop can turn your new guitar into a customized dream machine? New for Guitar Month: we are now offering setups, plek fret leveling, pickup swaps, and more! Select the options you would like during checkout, and have your new guitar arrive at your door modded and upgraded to your spec! Your Sweetwater Sales Engineer will contact you once your order is placed to confirm your selections and preferences. Call us at (800) 222-4700 for details.

Wow, they're offering setups now? I thought that was supposed to be part of the 55 points of light you were already paying for!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 05:01 AM

Good grief, proves that many retailers are completely clueless, trying to flog instruments without a setup in the fuirst place despite a "55-point inspection" which by the sounds of it isn't even worth the ink its written in.

Still pretty stunned how it could leave the factory with dodgy electrics however.

'87
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 02:00 AM

As I am not the expert, might be suggestion form the members are helpful to you. On the other hand, you can take the lesson from the expert.

Tags
ibanez , jem77 , pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode