Describe the Evolution pickups! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Describe the Evolution pickups!

i have them on my 7Vwh, they have a good sustain, gr8 harmonics, they are loud, but i am not getting a thick heavy sound while playing palmutes, do u think raising the bridge will give more heaviness in palmutes, or its the nature of the evos???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

dont get me wrong, i am getting a thick distortion, but not as much as i would have expected from hot pickups like these, cos i have a yamaha rgx721dg, and i get heavier palmutes, but it lacks on sustain!, but i have to mention that the bridge and action on the yamaha are way higher than the the JEM!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 07:13 AM

you better try with Tone Zones if you're looking for big chunky palm-mutings.
or even better a Super Distortion, cause it has the same basses amount than the TZ but it's more open and balanced on trebles.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

i think the evos are best for soloing!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 07:38 AM

yes they are,
because they have very high trebles and enough mids, with little basses, despite what DiMarzio says.

get a beefier pickup to feed your palm-muting.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

mmmh! a little bit disapointed! so the evolutions arent good enough for heavy metal! i mean powermetal stuff!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 07:49 AM

who said that?
i just said that the Evos are better on solos than on rhythm, than, say, a PAF Pro or a Tone Zone.
they just dont have enough basses.

you asked what to do to increase your palm-muting chunkyness, right? then i tell you: get a beefier pickup.
you can even get a good EQ (possibly parametric) and crank basses all the way up.

up to you.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 01:27 PM

I like Breeds
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 05:39 AM

Reviews: 3
yeah its true the evo does sound a little thin at first (especially on its own) but with a band it sits really nicely in the mix, the drums and the bass augment the sound where the nice "thunk" sound of your palm muting comes in, plus with the upper mid spike they have, EVERYONE will hear you, instead of you disappearing into white noise with an over scooped sound.

but as the others say, get used to the sound and it totally SCREAMS
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 10:01 AM

you can get the heavy distortion, palm muting terror sound of the evo to improve if you work the eq's carefully.

I personally found (past tense) they sounded like God when I was soloing, but like poo poo when I was playing metallica. Until I discovered that tweaking your settings to compensate for the tonal qualities of this pickup will help alot...play around with your amp, distortion settings etc...you'll be surprised.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:59 AM

ok ,, how to describe..

killer screaming humz but the clean is so so.. could be better.

overall if your main sound is distortion thats the pickup to use.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

yeah u right Hanban, especially in the 2nd position, i mean bridge humbucker and the jem single! u dont get a killer bluesy tone! but i think its better in 4th position!

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , heavy metal , paf pro , palm muting , super distortion , tone zone , yamaha rgx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode