Did I really need F-spaced pup's with Edge Pro bridge? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Did I really need F-spaced pup's with Edge Pro bridge?

I just installed a Paf Joe in the bridge and a Mo Joe in the neck of my RG 2550 prestige guitar. The guitar has a Edge Pro bridge and the poles of the bridge don't line up with the strings, especially the 6th 5th and 4th string. On the neck pickup its more lined up but still a bit off. The 6,5, and 4th string and the bridge pickup are way off. Did I really need F-spaced. When I line up my IBZ Dimarzio the poles line up perfectly, are they F-spaced? What if I got normal/non F-spaced pickup would they have lined up with the strings or would it be even more crooked? I'll try and post pics later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:27 PM

Re: Did I really need F-spaced pup's with Edge Pro bridge?

No. F spaced is just for looks
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
No. F spaced is just for looks

That's what I thought, but it looks wrong !

So there are absolutely no tone difference with F-Spaced?
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Dee

Are you sure you got F-spaced? They should be spot on. Are the poles outside or inside the strings?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Are you sure you got F-spaced? They should be spot on. Are the poles outside or inside the strings?
Yeah I'm sure they are F-spaced, got them brand new, got the Yellow "F-spaced" triangle on the box.

Last edited by 70Seven; 05-30-2007 at 08:04 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Seven View Post
That's what I thought, but it looks wrong !

So there are absolutely no tone difference with F-Spaced?
No difference at all. This topic has been covered many times already, if you search the forums for f spaced, you'll probably get a couple hundred hits.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 09:40 PM

hmm, that is very odd that they didnt line up, if its an f space it should be spot on like the neck
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:10 PM

It looks like the neck alignment is off.

The low E is closer to the edge of the fretboard that high E
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:27 PM
eg

Good observation.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:36 PM

F-spaced doesn't make any difference in sound.
jaxadam is online  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Dee

That's right, but a regular spaced pickup in a Floyd or Fender trem guitar usually looks crap. The bridge pickup is supposed to be F-Spaced, so something else is wrong. The neck pickup doesn't need to be F-spaced, but the bridge should at least look better. My RG550 is slightly off, but it's not a worry anyway.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 06:15 AM

nothing new, actually. DiMarzios aren't lined up to Fender/Floyds very precisely, they're always a bit narrower. Duncans are a bit wider instead. these are some examples of F-Spaced DiMarzios mounted on Edge/Lo-Pro.

F-Spaced bridge / non F-Spaced neck

F-Spaced bridge / F-Spaced neck

F-Spaced bridge / F-Spaced neck

not just looks though. being the pole right at the nadir of the its string, it will better "hear" its harmonics and sustain. nothing drastic, though.

70Seven: could you please take a pic right from the exact perpendicular of the top of the guitar? so we can judge the amount of pole/string disalignment. thanks

Last edited by nuno; 05-31-2007 at 06:23 AM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Ok thanks Nuno, I think that answers it. I guess my question was would the gap ben even worse if they were non F-Spaced. And I'm guessing it would. I dont plan on leaving these pickup on for long, I will be trying out a few sets to really see wich pickups give me "my" sound. So far I like the Paf Joe but not 100% satisfied with the Mo Joe. So I will first swap them to Paf, neck and Mo Joe bridge, if still not satisfied I will buy a few pair and try some other combination. So I guess I should keep buying F-Spaced for the bridge and neck there is no diferance.

Oh and as southpaw_lefty mentioned, I looked closely at my neck alignment and its not off, it looks like that a bit in the pic but its really not at all, the pickups poles and string show just like in the pic. I guess since the camera was focused on the pickups poles I got the neck/string at a bad angle.

Thanks everyone.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 07:52 AM

pickups like Bill Lawrence L-500s, Dimarzio X2N, Dimarzio D-Sonic, and Seymour Duncan Dimebuckers(Don't buy these) have blade poles so you don't need to worry about spacing.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptoess View Post
pickups like Bill Lawrence L-500s, Dimarzio X2N, Dimarzio D-Sonic, and Seymour Duncan Dimebuckers(Don't buy these)

Why do you say don't buy these? None of these pickups interest me really, maybe the D-Sonic I would like to try it but that's about it.

Tags
bridge pickup , bridge position , edge pro bridge , equipped guitar , fixed bridge , gibson les paul , gibson les pauls , higher strings , les paul , les pauls , neck pickup , neck position , paf joe , prestige guitar , seymour duncan , spaced pickup , trem guitar , tremolo bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode