Did I wire my pick up right? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Did I wire my pick up right?

Hi,
I have an Ibanez S540 -88 and I decided to change the bridge pick up. I bought a SD TB-4. The original pick up (IBZ F2) had four conductor wires (red, white, black and green and ground of course) and the SD had the exactly same colored 4 wires so I just soldered the SDīs red to the place of IBZīs red, SDīs white to the place of IBZīs white and so on...

I was just wondering if it went right? And if it didnīt, which wires do I have to change?

/Heikki Lindström, Finland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 12:55 PM

This is from Duncan's website FAQ.

"All Seymour Duncan humbuckers with four-conductor hookup wires incorporate a standard wire color code.
Green = beginning of adjustable coil
Red = finish of adjustable coil
Black = beginning of stud coil
White = finish of stud coil
For standard series humbucking operation on a 4-Conductor wired humbucker the White & Red wires are soldered together and taped; Green is ground and Black is Hot Output. The bare wire is also grounded."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 07:53 PM

easy answer: swap the red and black wire. if the output is funky and does some weird out of phase sound when on position 4, reverse the black and green wires.

rich
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98
easy answer: swap the red and black wire. if the output is funky and does some weird out of phase sound when on position 4, reverse the black and green wires.

rich
Thanks Rich! I swapped the red and black wires. I hope itīs right now =). To make it sure, I drew a picture of the wiring hoping that you guys could take a look at it. Can someone confirm it is right by judging from the picture (click the link for the picture).

http://www.angelfire.com/bug/kaavio/
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 08:58 AM

Re: Did I wire my pick up right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heka
The original pick up (IBZ F2) had four conductor wires (red, white, black and green and ground of course) and the SD had the exactly same colored 4 wires so I just soldered the SDīs red to the place of IBZīs red, SDīs white to the place of IBZīs white and so on...
I was just wondering if it went right?
the F2 was made by DiMarzio, and uses their wire color conventions. annoyingly, Duncan and other manufacturers use the same colors but the wires go to different places in the pickup.

hard answer: use a conversion chart that shows DiMarzio and Duncan wire colors to show you what color Duncan wire should go to where the red DiMarzio wire was. pickup wire color conversion chart: http://www.stewmac.com/wiring101/hum...g_options.html
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Re: Did I wire my pick up right?

Quote:
hard answer: use a conversion chart that shows DiMarzio and Duncan wire colors to show you what color Duncan wire should go to where the red DiMarzio wire was. pickup wire color conversion chart: http://www.stewmac.com/wiring101/hum...g_options.html
Thanks man! If itīs true that F2īs wires are colored to match DiMarzioīs colors, then it was just to do what Rich adviced me to do: to swap the black and red wires and in that case it is now connected correctly (check my previous post for the link for the current wiring diagram). Anyone still want to confuse me some more ?

/Heikki Lindström, Finland

Tags
seymour duncan , seymour duncan humbuckers , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode