a different kind of Breed... - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

a different kind of Breed...

hey guys,

I've had a set of Breeds in my JS1000 for awhile now and absolutely love them! I love the real thick lower mid tone (think Andy Timmons and just about any heavy rock)

My only gripe is that they can be a little too thick sometimes, especially the neck pickup, hard to find good settings to find a nice thick defined bridge pickup sound without having the neck pickup turn to an overly smooth tone.

My question is this, I'm thinking about buying a PAF Joe and sticking that in the neck to help solve my problem. But I was also thinking of either A) modifying the bridge pickup magnet to slightly change the tone a little or B) move the Breed Neck into the bridge position to help relieve some bass.

Anybody have any experience with a Breed Bridge and PAF Joe neck combo? Or has anybody started with a Breed bridge and moved the Breed Neck to the bridge to tell me the difference in tone?

any suggestions are open, I'd really like to hear everyone's opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 11:05 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: a different kind of Breed...

I liked the Breed Neck in the bridge far better than the Breed Bridge .
Inevitably, I went with the Duncan JB/Jazz combo and can't be happier.
I think Timmons uses the Breed Neck in the bridge with his cruiser bridge neck/middle
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 03:10 AM

you could try wiring them in parallel.
Ive got that as a switched option and use it most of the time.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 05:42 PM

My Breed neck is in an RG550, so 24 fret, and maple neck help out with the bass problem you seem to have. I love that pickup. I have a PAF Joe in the neck of my JS100, upgraded Gotoh Floyd, and for a change of pace from ultra smooth, I pick that up and get his tubular sound.

Maybe the Breed neck wasn't intended for 22 fret guitars? I don't know.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

yeah, I agree that the Breed Neck was probably heavily designed for a 24 fret guitar, so having it in a 22 fret guitar is giving me some "extra tone" that I don't need.

how does the Norton/Air Norton compare to a Breed Neck? All in the bridge position of course. Sounds like the Breeds have a lot of mids but it's mostly lower mids and the Norton's have more upper mids which give that distinct vowel "awww" ****ed wah sound.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:40 PM

I tried a PAF Joe and Breed Bridge combo. My thoughts were that I did not get enough distinction between the pickups. They sounded "the same." It was very strange. I switched the neck to an Air Norton and liked it a lot better. I have read from others who have tried it that they were very happy with that combo. Good luck on your pursuit.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 07:04 PM

I would start by lowering the neck pickup which should ease up the heavy low end. The Air Norton is the cleanest sweet neck HB I have heard yet.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

ok new idea...

Last edited by RSVampire; 02-18-2008 at 03:14 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Since I'm gunna get a Paf Joe, that pickup has the Airbucker technology. So now I'm thinking of "Airbuck'ing" my Breeds to get them to "match" to the Joe a little better.

So I have a couple of questions modifying the pickups.

First off, I've heard that the Airbucking Technology decreases output a little and increases pick attack sensitivity. What else does it do? Does it change the EQ at all? Tighten up the bass?

Secondly, I know that Airbucking is just the magnet not directly touching the pole pieces so Dimarzio puts something between the magnet and the poles to create this "air gap". So what does Dimarzio use? A piece of paper, a credit card, a piece of plastic? If so... how thick is this thing... like 1" thick?

and again... if I Airbucker both my Breeds, which one should I stick into the bridge position... keep the Air Breed Bridge or Move the Air Breed Neck?

I'll try Air'ing both pickups first and see how it changes them... maybe I'll like them more.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:41 AM

Before you go that far, have you tried just turning the neck Breed around? You may like the difference.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

what is that going to do? I have double rows of pole pieces... no slugs.

and under the dimarzio site the Breeds are listed with no patent # which means they aren't made with mis-matched coils like a Norton or a Fred.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 09:44 PM

Ah, didn't realize the Breeds were symmetrical. I just turned my Humbucker From Hell (asymmetrical) around to mellow the tone and thought this might work for everything.

DiMarzio has a list of pups in its FAQ that are affected by orientation. Evos are in there, but no Breeds, my bad.

Commence the airing!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

heh, still need a little more help with that :P

Tags
air norton , andy timmons , breed bridge , bridge pickup , bridge position , fret guitar , fret guitars , maple neck , neck pickup , paf joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode