Dimarzio 5way multipole wiring ?? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Dimarzio 5way multipole wiring ??

Hi guys, new user here.

I have a USRG30 with stock pickups and dimarzio 5 way multipole switch, ( DiMarzio parts number EP1112 I believe ) and I'd like to know if anybody here knows any other wiring schematics besides the one they had available on the DiMarzio website.

I have mine setup with the stock wiring combinations the switch offers, but I'm curious to see if there's any other useful wiring for a 2 humbucker guitar or maybe even for regular RG/Jem HSH wiring.

Also, does anybody know if JS type combinations are possible using a push-pull pot with this switch and 2 Dimarzio humbuckers?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 09:25 AM

Re: Dimarzio 5way multipole wiring ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nux_777
I have a USRG30 with stock pickups and dimarzio 5 way multipole switch, ( DiMarzio parts number EP1112 I believe ) and I'd like to know if anybody here knows any other wiring schematics besides the one they had available on the DiMarzio website.

I have mine setup with the stock wiring combinations the switch offers, but I'm curious to see if there's any other useful wiring for a 2 humbucker guitar or maybe even for regular RG/Jem HSH wiring.
you can do literally anything with a 24 pole switch. here are some cool two humbucker schemes:

-the Ibanez Special 5-way [which may be what you already have]: neck, neck parallel, both, inner coils, bridge.
-the same sounds as the PRS rotary switch: neck, outer coils parallel, outer coils series, inner coils, bridge.
-my special 5-way hybrid of those two: neck, neck parallel, outer coils, inner coils, bridge. [see http://www.his.com/~sha3u/gear/wiring.html#rg2027 ]
-a coil-cutting scheme: neck, neck outer coil, both inner coils, bridge outer coil, bridge.

for some pretty standard ideas, check out http://www.guitarelectronics.com/ . for tons of really wierd stuff, written in a rather inscrutable schematic style, visit this site: http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~dgb/index_e.htm . but with the multipole switch, you can do pretty much whatever whack scheme you've always wanted but couldn't find a stock switch to do.

Quote:
Also, does anybody know if JS type combinations are possible using a push-pull pot with this switch and 2 Dimarzio humbuckers?
absolutely, although the JS would be easier to wire with a 3-way Tele switch. you can add push-pull pots to any scheme -- all of my pickup schemes at http://www.his.com/sha3u/gear/wiring.html use a push-pull pot in addition to the switch to convert the guitar into a single coil mode in as many of the switch positions as possible.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot!

Though I could really use more wiring diagrams like the ones DiMarzio and Ibanez have on their websites , since I'm not that familiar with technical schematics and how the switches really work...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Though I could really use more wiring diagrams like the ones DiMarzio and Ibanez have on their websites , since I'm not that familiar with technical schematics and how the switches really work...
the schematics on that japanese site are rather obtusely drawn, as i said. i have trouble following them as well, but they are a great source for ideas.

you won't find a huge list of clean schematics for 24 pole wiring schemes anywhere because it doesn't exist -- dimarzio and ibanez draw schematics for the common switching schemes that they use, but anything beyond that the customizing player is going to have to draw out for themselves. that's why there are tons of old posts on this site from people asking for help in drawing their own schematics for the ibanez VLX 24 pole switch -- they know what pickup combinations they want in the different positions, and they figure out how to draw a schematic to make it happen.

to do this you won't need to learn how to read real schematics, but you will need to learn how the switch works -- what tabs are connected to each other in each position. decide what coil combinations you want, learn how the switch poles work, learn the two different ways to coil cut a humbucker, and then sketch out a schematic. there's always plenty of trial and error, which is a drag but ends up being the best way to learn.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 11:56 AM

I just posted part of this in another thread. I just got my RG back (I have a 1570 with a single coil in the middle). So, my set up would be a little different from yours...

BUT, I did use push pulls with great success. I have a Tonezone in the bridge, and Blue Velvet SC, and a humbuck from hell in the neck position.

5 way selector works as normal:

pos. 1 - neck humbuck
pos. 2 - split neck humbuck + single coil
pos. 3 - single coil
pos. 4 - single coil + split bridge humbuck
pos. 5 - bridge humbuck

Now, with the push pull pots on both tone and vol you can do this:

pos. 1 - (with tone pot pulled) split neck humbuck (for SC strat sound)
pos. 1 - (with tone pot and vol pot pulled) split neck AND bridge pickups (cool for funk)
And the possibilities just go on from there.

Bascially the vol push pull activates the bridge humbucker regardless of 5 way switch selection. And the tone push pull splits both humbuckers (depending on which one is active at the time, and both can be spilt at the same time). There are something like 21 possible settings with this setup. I am loving it!

Push pull pots are the way to go. BTW, dual split inner coil setting is just KILLER for funk.

RR
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrhea
(I have a 1570 with a single coil in the middle). So, my set up would be a little different from yours... BUT, I did use push pulls with great success.
i like wiring one push/pull to change as much stuff as possible. here's my super-insane scheme for H/S/H guitars:

push/pull pot down, "humbucker mode":
1 - neck humbucker
2 - neck inner coil + middle single
3 - neck outer coil + bridge outer coil
4 - bridge inner coil + middle single
5 - bridge humbucker

then with the push/pull pot up, "single coil mode":
1 - neck split (outer coil)
2 - neck outer coil + middle single
3 - middle single
4 - bridge outer coil + middle single
5 - bridge split (outer coil)

this requires a 24 pole switch and a pretty complicated scheme of ganged switch outputs for each mode, but it takes what is basically stock Ibanez H/S/H sounds in humbucker mode and converts everything into sharper Strat-type sounds. there's so much stuff going on that it's impossible to make more than half of those positions hum cancel, so none of the single coil mode positions are hum canceling.

the split humbucker + middle single sounds really do change depending on whether it's the inner or the outer coil of the HB. the outer coils sound is the really sharp notched Tele sound like the PRS rotary switch, and i threw it in because i use it a lot.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 06:24 PM

Hi,

My guitar has a Dimarzio 5 way multipole switch (EP1112) and a Fender S1 volume pot switch (250k), with 3 Fender Texas Specials.

I would like to achieve the following series/parallel connection:

S1 off: Standard strat connection:

pos 1) bridge
pos 2) bridge + middle (parallel)
pos 3) middle
pos 4) middle + neck (parallel)
pos 5) neck

S1 on:

pos 1) bridge x middle (series)
pos 2) bridge x middle (series) + neck (parallel)
pos 3) bridge x middle x neck (all 3 pickups in series)
pos 4) middle x neck (series) + bridge (parallel)
pos 5) middle x neck (series)

Could you please help me with this? I´m searching for the wiring diagram but can´t find it.

Thanks,

---
Sebastian Bessone
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 07:54 AM

Smile Re: Dimarzio 5way multipole wiring ??

I have three humbuckers on my guitar.
The middle humbucker is stacked so it looks like a single coil.

I have the switch coil tap both humbuckers in positions 2 and 4 and then run them in parallel.

That way I don't get a drop in volume in positions 2 and 4.

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , bridge pickups , coil mode , dimarzio humbuckers , humbucker guitar , inner coils , neck humbucker , neck position , neck split , pickup combination , pole switch , strat sound , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode