Dimarzio 7 string p/up choices - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Dimarzio 7 string p/up choices

I have searched posts here & found some relative info. Still, I'd like to hear from some Ibz-ers here who have done this & can share their experience in this area. I've had two 7 strings in the last 6 years, eventually trading them off. I'm ready to settle in with one again, so I've got a 2000 RG7621 on the way. Knowing that I will customize it cosmetically & hardware wise, I'm looking forward to it! My only experience with after-market 7-string p/ups was the Duncan Jazz I put in the neck & a JB in the bridge. This worked well for my needs. What Dimarzio models would give me a low-to-moderate output with good articulation? I'm not an EMG guy & not into super-high output p/ups. All I can go on is what I had: the Duncan Jazz neck was clear & not mushy even when distorted & I really liked that. And clean, it was great, too. Same for the JB bridge. It had good output without being "hot". What Dimarzios would be comparable to this criteria? Thanks in advance.

j.s.t.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 05:57 PM

Re: Dimarzio 7 string p/up choices

Well, I would generally say to look no further than the Blaze neck to start with. I have one in an RG7620 and it's probably the best neck pickup I own. I wonder if it might be a bit too high-output for your needs though. Certainly, it sounds stronger to my ears than a Duncan Jazz. Still, the 5-way switch in your 7621 should allow you to have the neck pickup wired in parallel in position 2, for which the Blaze sounds absolutely sweet.

The only Dimarzio 7 string bridge pickup I've used is the X2N-7, which is clearly not for you. Based on what you want, a PAF-7 might work, or possibly an Air Norton 7. But I can't speak from experience on those, I'm afraid. Your choices appear to be fairly limited as their 7 string pickups tend to be high-output affairs.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 08:55 PM

Aha, the answer lies within... >>>>>

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pic...kup-guide.html
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 10:52 PM

Paf 7 or D-Sonic 7?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

With Dimarzio, the Air Norton looks like a good neck choice. Has anyone tried a Dimarzio PAF in the bridge of a 7 string? Or an Air Norton bridge? Options here seem to be:

Air Norton neck/PAF bridge
Air Norton neck & bridge

PAF neck/Air Norton bridge
PAF Neck & bridge
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 01:05 PM

nice thread i tried one on the 7 string forum and got no answers. i was reading about the blaze 2 pups and aparently i read that there wasnt a blaze 1? or did they mean there was but they were never in the ibanez? i was thinking of putting to blaze 2 in my rg7620 also as IMO the normal pups suck, theres no bite? has anyone out there thrown 2 blazes in their 7620? HAGO
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 03:34 PM

The 2 Blaze pickup sound is what you get with a standard Universe. The Blaze neck is an awesome pickup, I would highly recomment it. I would go with a Blaze or Blaze Custom in the bridge for a 7620 myself as well. Very versatile combinations.
Now... Ibanez did make some mistakes describing the stock pickups in 7620's in their catalogs. They marked the pickups as "Blaze II", when in fact they are New 7's. So, the only way to get Blazes in your 7620 is to buy them and install them yourself. There are only Blazes, no Blaze 1's or Blaze IIs.

jim
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, jim777. I do like the stock Universe sound. That's a great reference for me & identifying the "Blaze" sound. Thanks for clearing this up. ((The stock Blaze has a scooped mid & the Blaze Custom is a boosted mid version according to the Dimarzio website))
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 06:54 PM

Smile Re: Dimarzio 7 string p/up choices

nice one jim, that also helps me out, i saw some green blaze pup on the bay of e and i was thinking well im after the blaze 2. so i will go get those now, cheers for the advice. that'l learn me for asking on another forum and gettin bubkuss responses.

Tags
air norton , air norton neck , blaze neck , bridge pickup , dimarzio paf , neck pickup , norton neck , string bridge , string bridge pickup , string pickup , string pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode