Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Dimarzio D-sonic better than a jb in a strat?

Tags
d-sonic
5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Dannymanc81 
#1 ·
OK.. So i used to have a Dimarzio Mo'joe in the bridge position of my USA standard stratocaster, the pickup wasn't really doing it for me so i replaced it with a Seymour Duncan Full size JB, the pickup sounds really good for both clean and distortion tones. a friend of a friend Has offered me a to swap my Mo'joe for a Dimarzio D-sonic, but as i have never tried the D-sonic before i am unsure how it will sound in the bridge position of my strat, or should i just stick too my JB?
Basically my worry is that the D-sonic clean may sound too artifical being a ceramic magnet, rather than alnico 5 which the JB is.

Has anyone got good knowledge of both the JB and D-sonic in terms of power, articulation etc..

Any help on this subject would be great, i should mention my strat is an HSS an alder body with a rosewood neck

#4 · (Edited)
Yeah, they're totally different pickups, as reign points out.

My thoughts - if you can do the swap yourself, and (importantly) if you have absolutely nothing else you're likely to put the Mo' Joe in, then you lose nothing by doing it. You know you don't like the MoJoe in your strat and that you do like the JB. If you swap for the D-Sonic and decide you don't like it, then you can easily enough put the JB back in, and you're no worse than you are now, with a Strat you like and a spare pickup you're not using.

#6 ·
Thanks guy for the help, yeah i agree i should of made it more clear what type of sound i am after, basically the jb sounds great for what it does, I have actually seen a few bands live use them and they can get away with doing metal, but i am after a pickup that gives me a more tight compressed sound with more thud and chug with palm mutes, just hope the D-sonic will do what i want in sound, and I agree with drew as i ain't happy with my Mo'joe i have nothing to lose :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.