DiMarzio Drop Sonic, Paf Pro or Super Distortion - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

DiMarzio Drop Sonic, Paf Pro or Super Distortion

Ehm....hello?...i think?
Well as you may see im a new user, but yeah
i would like to ask for you to help choose a pickup for my guitar
right now i got a DiMarzio D-sonic picku, bridge btw, its the only one wired to the guitar, i took al pots and hat things out, so its like, pup tp output directly
but yeah, i got a D sonic and i have been offered to trade it for a paf pro and also for a super distortion, i like my sound to be very bassy, like mid mids lol, and mid treble, so i would like you to help me choose on of those pups to use on my guitar
Thank you in advance
btw, my guitar is a Ibanez RG270DX made in 2001 :O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 03:12 AM

Re: DiMarzio Drop Sonic, Paf Pro or Super Distortion

All three of thses pickups are very different.
What do you feel is wrong or lacking with the pickup you have now?
Tooo much output, not enough, needs more lows or highs, needs a drink holder?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

actually i think it lack lows, and have not to much highs, but have to much for what i like in my sound, and i actually think that it also lack mids ._.
Drink holder could become useful in a gig you know lol
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 06:27 AM

What kind of music do you play? That pickup lacks lows so that it stays clear with drop tunings and lots of distortion. That's why it's good for metal. This is just something to consider, there's always some kind of compromise with pickups. You might find a pickup with the right amount of lows for you, but then think it sounds muddy and lacks definition.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 06:51 AM

If you really like mids, Dimarzio FRED is the way to go.
If you want mids with lots of bass Tone Zone or Air Zone.
The Air Zone has a little less output than the Tone Zone, and the Air Zone is a little warmer too.
EVO2 is in the middle of the other two, good mids, less bass than the Zones while still warm.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 07:03 AM

I recently fell in love with a paf pro. I say go with that.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
I recently fell in love with a paf pro. I say go with that.
I always try to help people find the pickup for their taste, not mine.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePariah View Post
i like my sound to be very bassy, like mid mids lol, and mid treble, so i would like you to help me choose on of those pups to use on my guitar
Sounds like the Super Distortion would fit your need perfectly, it's very full sounding through the entire mid spectrum (not as much as the Breed), but expect more output than the D Sonic.

If you flip your D Sonic around, you'll get an idea of how the Super D sounds in the mid-treble side.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 10:23 AM

PAF Pro is a great ALL round pickup. Does everything nicely-nicely, and growls when you need it too. It's also great as a reference pickup, when you want to replace stocks, but aren't sure what you want, so you can stick one in, know it'll good, then tweak your choice from that one. Need more, top, use this, more bass, use that, just right? leave it in, etc.

Check out the new Dominions. haven't heard 'em myself, but like the look of the specs for what you're after. Failing that, It sounds like you're in need of a Tone Zone. Loads going on with that pickup, as long as you KNOW your amp very well. (It's a really responsive pickup to cutting frequencies for the tone you need - if it's there and you don't want it, you can dial it out, but if it isn't there and you NEED it, it's very hard to dial in)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 10:39 AM

Thumbs up Re: DiMarzio Drop Sonic, Paf Pro or Super Distortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
I always try to help people find the pickup for their taste, not mine.
Pickup sound is very subjective. They can sound different in different guitars and to different people's ear. I read the descriptions on Dimarzio's website and then order a pickup and it's nothing like the site describes. The Tone Zone to me is not bassy at all. It's all midrange punch and sounds terrible clean. But thats just my opinion. I've owned three or four of them over the years in different guitars. Anyway I think you really just have to try them and decide what works for you. One mans holy grail pickup is another mans piece of crap.
To me the Paf Pro is very warm and well balanced, musical and sweet. It sounds great clean and overdrives well. Your milage may vary.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Actally, i just used a boss weird eq pedal, and i think my d sonic i much better sounding with it, but it still is not what i like ._.
I play music from Death(only death metal band i like), also play nu metal, and heavy metal, pop rock in spanish xD, black metal(just silencer), some thrash metal.
right now i think im goin for the paf pro
but what do you think about the dimarzio X2N?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

bump!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 08:58 PM

X2N is a very different pickup. Is it JUST the bass you want to improve from your D Sonic, or are there other things that concern you?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

just bass
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 10:06 AM

Reviews: 15

What ends up happening in threads like these, you get people telling you what pickup they like. It's impossible for others to help you in your quest for new pickups, searching for a sound you like.

I went through so many pickups until I found the set that I like. I would put in new pickups. They would be in my guitar for a week, or so before something about them started to bother me, until I found the pickups that I liked.

You best bet would be to go to Dimarzio's site and check out some pickup sound clips. Do not listen to the music, per se, but the tone. Write down the ones that you like. Then check the tone chart. You might find that the pickups you liked have a common characteristic. Then it will be a process of narrowing that list down to the one (or few) that you like.

Tags
bart , chuck , dad , drop , lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode