Dimarzio Evolution (bridge) VS. INF 2 - Page 2 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Re: Dimarzio Evolution (bridge) VS. INF 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearsx View Post
nope. i think you have a very scooped tone.
Yeah I guess you have a point considering what I have explained sound wise, but I have my amp set up to high treble, not much bass. and mids are about in the middle...so its not really "scooped"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Well after playing on it for a few hours, I can tell the difference for sure, its almost perfect...
I'm just running into the idea now that maybe I should go with an EVO2 instead; I'm not sure its mixing with basswood body as much as I would like, I'm not fond of the shill highs and "boomy" low end of the Evolution, and my power chords sound kinda muddy (probably cuz the boomy low end)

Any opinions on this thought? or thoughts on the EVO2 vs. Evolution, factoring in things like: bodywood/whats better for rhythm guitar, powerchords etc.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Like I mentioned before--the Evo2 is the way to go. It's still punchy, but also raunchier.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikheffner View Post
Well after playing on it for a few hours, I can tell the difference for sure, its almost perfect...
I'm just running into the idea now that maybe I should go with an EVO2 instead; I'm not sure its mixing with basswood body as much as I would like, I'm not fond of the shill highs and "boomy" low end of the Evolution, and my power chords sound kinda muddy (probably cuz the boomy low end)

Any opinions on this thought? or thoughts on the EVO2 vs. Evolution, factoring in things like: bodywood/whats better for rhythm guitar, powerchords etc.
Evo 2 is much better with basswood.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 01:09 AM

Reviews: 2

I'd try it in another amp before replacing it.

I have this pickup in a mahogany body which tames the highs nicely. But my EQ is set with LOTS of mids.

My EQ being L-4 M-10 H-6 with gain about 6-7 on a peavey 6505. Sounds beautiful.

Try raising your mids and lowering your treble, try it on another amp, if then you still don't like, it's definatly not for you.

Toodles!
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by julzius View Post
I'd try it in another amp before replacing it.

I have this pickup in a mahogany body which tames the highs nicely. But my EQ is set with LOTS of mids.

My EQ being L-4 M-10 H-6 with gain about 6-7 on a peavey 6505. Sounds beautiful.

Try raising your mids and lowering your treble, try it on another amp, if then you still don't like, it's definatly not for you.

Toodles!
Thanks for the thought...only problem is, this is my main amp cause I can't afford another.
It a Crate, so its pretty decent, but the knob to control the sound is a "shape" knob, so it you can't change treble/bass/mids separate, its all combined with 'slight' adjustment....
Plus I read a few opinions on how the EVO2 works good with basswood while the original EVO is good with mahogany, so I am leaning towards an EVO2 with the basswood body.
The Evolution is great to me mostly, just a good amount to much treble, and a fair too much bass; obviously the EVO2 won't "fix" my sound completely, but I could be a fair step up, even for the amp I am stuck with.

...FYI the only other amp I have around is the good ol' Fender frontman 15

Last edited by erikheffner; 07-10-2011 at 02:23 AM.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Any other opinions on the EVO1 and EVO2/ basswood and mahogany mix?

Also what is Dimarzios exchange police exactly, and shipping cost (if any)?? Guitar center ripped off half my sticker on that so I can't read it...
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 03:46 PM

They should add some extra output to the Evo 2 and name it Evo 3!
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 05:51 PM

Reviews: 120

If you are finding the Evo to be a bit too muddy there is a simple, cheap solution to that.

Get yourself a 0.047uf capacitor and install it inline with the pickup's hot wire, and the pickup selector. This will filter out some of the lower frequencies, reducing the mud.

If it's not quite enough, try a lower value cap. 0.01uf might fit the bill.

This mod costs just cents, and makes a huge difference.

For more info on this mod check out my site.
http://www.lonephantom.com/2011/02/t...one-continued/
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
If you are finding the Evo to be a bit too muddy there is a simple, cheap solution to that.

Get yourself a 0.047uf capacitor and install it inline with the pickup's hot wire, and the pickup selector. This will filter out some of the lower frequencies, reducing the mud.

If it's not quite enough, try a lower value cap. 0.01uf might fit the bill.

This mod costs just cents, and makes a huge difference.

For more info on this mod check out my site.
http://www.lonephantom.com/2011/02/t...one-continued/
Well really I don't find the pickup muddy over all thanks to all the output and treble; just low toned power chords (on the top 3 stings) loose all that treble it seems, where the last 2 stings have too much treble.
..So I guess that could help the powerchords, but then the 2 bottom strings would be even more trebly.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Just ended up keeping it, I came to like the sound for the most part, and don't feel like removing my whole pickguard again.

Just turn down the highs, and its all good. Only thing I don't like about it now is the "icepick" noise.
Owell lol
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:46 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikheffner View Post
Just ended up keeping it, I came to like the sound for the most part, and don't feel like removing my whole pickguard again.

Just turn down the highs, and its all good. Only thing I don't like about it now is the "icepick" noise.
Owell lol
EQs are your friends! You can tame that "icepick" tone you're talking about. Listen to LonePhantom and the capacitor suggestion...

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 10:01 AM

If you do decide to change it out for something different see if you can pick up a Paf Pro, I find it to be a nice all rounder that you can dig into a bit harder.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

I had to come back and laugh at such a noob post I have here....
Believe it or not I still run INF2s on multiple guitars with slightly adjusted hex poles..and I setup all my guitars personally including the truss rod. It's amazing what tone you can squeeze out of a proper setup. Don't even use that Evo anymore...

Maybe I'ma bit more vintage. Also a fan of the V2 and Genesis V8. Not sure if the original is the same. The SD I have i like and the Peavey "P-12" is another pickup I have...

Last edited by erikheffner; 01-06-2019 at 12:55 AM.

Tags
dimarzio , evolution , humbucker , inf2 , pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode