Dimarzio Evolution (bridge) VS. INF 2 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Dimarzio Evolution (bridge) VS. INF 2

Just curious if you guys could give me some input on the bridge version of a Dimazio EVO compared to an INF2, how much better is it?? and what are some sound pros/cons of both?
I really like the sound of my INF, except for some lack in "punch"...I just don't know if I want to install the evo I spent the last of my money on, and come to decide that $90 wasn't worth it; seeing as I can't return it after I install.

Also I am a rhythm guitarist 95% of the time..I have been hearing this is not a good rhythm pickup, how true is this statement??

Last edited by erikheffner; 06-19-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 10:24 AM

Reviews: 11
Re: Dimarzio Evolution (bridge) VS. INF 2

infinity pickups are pretty much crap. Virtually anything after market will be a huge improvement. You want punch? Check out d-activators, super distortion or tone zone by dimarzio. Evo's are kind of brittle sounding, very high output and "thinner" sounding, better for lead styles. r
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:57 PM

Tone Zone all the way.

Evos are for Vai wanna be's.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 03:33 PM

Reviews: 1

I also like the Super 3
[/I]
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

hmmm interesting thoughts.
thing is too, I like a "thinner" more hallow sound even as a rhythm guitarist, just a punchy thin sound, not so much bass...if that makes sense.. and a real high output is what I prefer as well, thats why I figured an evo or Evo 2 would be good.
Thought about super distortions, but I didn't think it would be good when playing clean, I like a "crisp" clean; almost like single coils, but not so "tinny" sounding.

pretty stuck 100% with Dimarzio branded pups FYI
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikheffner View Post
hmmm interesting thoughts.
thing is too, I like a "thinner" more hallow sound even as a rhythm guitarist, just a punchy thin sound, not so much bass...if that makes sense.. and a real high output is what I prefer as well, thats why I figured an evo or Evo 2 would be good.
Based on your description, I'd say go for the D-Activator. As a "rhythm guitarist," I presume a vast majority of your playing is done in the neck pup. In any case, I recently swapped the crappy INF neck pup in one of my lower priced RG's for a D-Activator with coil-tapping. The tone in clean mode is comparable to an SD Hot Rail, (bright, chimey and LOUD) but in high-gain distortion mode, the increased highs aren't that noticeable - more like a beefed up PAF Pro.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 03:44 AM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTranslator View Post
Based on your description, I'd say go for the D-Activator. As a "rhythm guitarist," I presume a vast majority of your playing is done in the neck pup. In any case, I recently swapped the crappy INF neck pup in one of my lower priced RG's for a D-Activator with coil-tapping. The tone in clean mode is comparable to an SD Hot Rail, (bright, chimey and LOUD) but in high-gain distortion mode, the increased highs aren't that noticeable - more like a beefed up PAF Pro.
Most rhythm rock and metal guitar is typically done on the bridge pickup. You must be thinking how it's labelled on an LP, and that is kind of back to front for modern, non-jazz styles.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Most rhythm rock and metal guitar is typically done on the bridge pickup. You must be thinking how it's labelled on an LP, and that is kind of back to front for modern, non-jazz styles.
I concur, the bridge pup is used almost exclusively for Metal and harder forms of Rock. However; since the OP didn't mention anything regarding style or genre, it was up for grabs what his actual musical preference is.

For some older Classic Rock, (e.g. Doobie Bros) the neck pup mixed with the bridge pup, or by itself, was the norm for "rhythm." For MODERN, non-Jazz styles, such as Pop & R&B, a single-coil neck pup on a Strat is used for "chicken-picking" and MODERN funk style comping, or, an Ibanez H-S-H configuration, which can achieve the same results...
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

..Ok, I will clarify more...

I have a RG450DX so it has a basswood body, rosewood fingerboard. It has a pick guard, and has a HSH configuration; but I NEVER use the neck pickup, sometimes the single coil pup, but 98% of the time I only the bridge pup.
(thats why I only mentioned the INF2 and not INF1 and put "bridge" in my post)

And now the music genre I play is all metal types on this guitar, with pick gallops, palm muting some pinch harmonics etc.
But I also play a lot of alternative, "hard rock" and "3 doors down" type of rock.
I like my cleans to be crisp and beautiful, but some what dark and hallow; mostly the wound strings, which is where the basswood kinda helps.

anyway if you guys have heard or played System of a Down, that is basically the sound I play, the 2 newest albums I play all the time. (Mesmerize and Hypnotize)
The tuning is drop Db

Last edited by erikheffner; 07-04-2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: tuning
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I concur, the bridge pup is used almost exclusively for Metal and harder forms of Rock. However; since the OP didn't mention anything regarding style or genre, it was up for grabs what his actual musical preference is.

For some older Classic Rock, (e.g. Doobie Bros) the neck pup mixed with the bridge pup, or by itself, was the norm for "rhythm." For MODERN, non-Jazz styles, such as Pop & R&B, a single-coil neck pup on a Strat is used for "chicken-picking" and MODERN funk style comping, or, an Ibanez H-S-H configuration, which can achieve the same results...
No, but as the OP said in his heading and last post, bridge pickup.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:

"anyway if you guys have heard or played System of a Down, that is basically the sound I play, the 2 newest albums I play all the time. (Mesmerize and Hypnotize) The tuning is drop Db"
Duude, if that's the style and sound you're looking to emulate; perhaps you should inquire on a Marshall or Mesa Boogie website instead With that level of gain; especially in the bridge position, it really doesn't matter what kind of pup you use- bridge pups basically sound the same in high-gain mode, and to some extent - clean mode as well.

BTW, I listened to some clips of System of a Down, (Mesmerize and Hypnotize) so my conclusions were drawn from what I heard...

For the record; I use the neck pup (or neck mixed with bridge when using a Gibson) for Al Di Meola distortion type solos. I sometimes use the single coil in the middle (Ibanez H-S-H configuration) for rockier/bluesier riffs. On my GB10 and GB200 Jazz archtops, I use the neck pup 100% of the type - no brainer there
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
No, but as the OP said in his heading and last post, bridge pickup.
True - looks like we BOTH missed that little detail, or you would have mentioned it 3 posts ago - not 3 posts after the fact

Last edited by TheTranslator; 07-04-2011 at 04:48 PM.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
True - looks like we BOTH missed that little detail, or you would have mentioned it 3 posts ago - not 3 posts after the fact
I certainly didnt miss it. I didnt feel the need to have reiterate what the OP was asking for because readers should have got the gist from the OPs thread title and initial post.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Well I just decided to install it, couldn't figure out it I oriented it the correct way since there is no logo on the front (the wire should be closest to the bridge right?)
I think it is actually pretty damn close to the sound I wanted, but at the same time I having trouble noticing a difference; on clean its pretty obvious, a lot more punch and clarity, but on distortion its kinda half and half-but I suppose that is probably just because I play such hi gain.
maybe i am more tone deaf than i thought, lol
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
on clean its pretty obvious, a lot more punch and clarity, but on distortion its kinda half and half-but I suppose that is probably just because I play such hi gain.
nope. i think you have a very scooped tone.

Tags
dimarzio , evolution , humbucker , inf2 , pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode